I bought a Huawei Mate 9 and here's what I've noticed coming from the 6P

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm posting this here on the 6P forum because, during my 6P usage, I have found this forum so valuable. I thought my fellow 6P users would be interested in this from a 6P perspective. I was unable to find a good comparison of the phones. This is not meant to bash the 6P at all. I don't regret buying it and it has served me well for the most part.

Before I start, I know I am comparing a phone that came out a couple months ago (Huawei Mate 9) with one that came out over a year ago (6P). I ordered and then cancelled the order for a Pixel the day it came out. I just couldn't swallow paying $1100 for a phone when my 6P was fine.

I posted on here about some significant battery drain issues I was experiencing with my 6P over the past month. I couldn't fix it. I came across the Mate 9, read positive reviews, and went against my Nexus/Google core to buy it.

Aside from the battery problem, two things have bugged me about the 6P for a long time: (1) average (sometimes poor) fingerprint response time and (2) terrible camera response time.

THE SLOW 6P FINGERPRINT READER…
People raved about the "learning fingerprint sensor" but I didn't get it. It actually seemed to get worse over time. As I pulled it from my pocket with my finger on the sensor, I would already be looking at the screen before it came on.

[FYI – I read about a trick you can do on the Pixel to improve fingerprint recognition. You register the same finger twice. It actually improved the 6P’s performance a little too.]

HORRIBLE 6P CAMERA LAG…
The camera situation was just ridiculous. I tried multiple camera apps and mostly stuck with the Google camera app because it seemed to lag the least. It still had lag. Sometimes I would take a picture and lower the phone down only to realize I didn't hold it up long enough and all I got was a blur from my moving the camera down.

When I was in Africa and Europe earlier this year, it was downright annoying - especially if I asked someone to take a picture for me. Like always, I would have to explain to them not to move the camera until they see the picture show up in the little preview circle. Try explaining that to a guy in Morocco who doesn't speak English. Don't get me wrong - the 6P takes some awesome photos when you get them.

WHAT HUAWEI HAS IMPROVED UPON…
I don’t know what Huawei “discovered” since the 6P but this Mate 9 solved both of those problems beyond my expectations. The fingerprint reader is lightning fast. My phone screen is on before I can even bring up to look at it. The lightest touch unlocks the phone.

The camera… it’s instant. I find myself holding the phone up for several seconds wondering if it even took the picture. Literally, tap the shutter button it instantly shoots the photo. Yes, that’s in full auto, no HDR, but I can actually grab my phone shoot something quickly and it works. The camera is also dual lens and loaded with features that I haven’t explored yet. I’m just so pleased with the quick shooting that I find myself taking pictures of everything right now! The pictures come out great in my average guy opinion.

Huawei also managed to pack a larger screen (5.9”) into a body that is basically the same size and no thicker than the 6P.

WHAT I’LL MISS ON THE 6P…
The biggest thing I know I’ll miss from my 6P is the updates. They were timely and maintained the Android OS at its best. Pure Android was a nice base. The Mate 9 uses Huawei’s latest skin which isn’t terrible. I didn’t really care because I have been using a launcher for so long. I just installed it on the Mate 9.

The other thing I’ll miss is the beautiful AMOLED screen on the 6P. It’s just brilliant. For some reason, Huawei went with a standard LCD HD screen. It’s fine. That’s it, just fine. There is a “pro” and “Porsche” version of the Mate 9 with a better screen but my point here was not to spend $1,000 on a phone.

BATTERY LIFE!
Oh… battery life? The Mate 9 is a beast. Not only does it have a bigger battery, it has various built in power saving features beyond those in the OS that create very impressive results. For example, it has what I would liken to Greenify built in. Yes, my 6P performed a lot better when it was new but this Mate 9 takes it to a whole other level. I don’t know how this will hold up over time. It does quick charging (unfortunately, using a Huawei proprietary system).

About the Huawei OS tweaks... they are all over. I was thinking I would find them silly (a la Samsung) but they have actually added some very nice features into the OS. The way you can control notfications is so polished. It does a better job than tweaking with the System UI tuner.

Again, the one thing I don’t know is how the Mate 9 will perform over time. Supposedly Huawei put specific emphasis on making sure it continues to perform well over time using some sort of machine learning. Who knows if that’s a real thing.

The Pixel, which is probably what you should compare this too, may be a better phone but it costs almost double. The Mate 9 cost about the same as my 6P did. I’ll use this until the next Google phone and then consider whether or not to jump back into the Google bubble. I do miss that OS support!

Esterra

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
I'm posting this here on the 6P forum because, during my 6P usage, I have found this forum so valuable. I thought my fellow 6P users would be interested in this from a 6P perspective. I was unable to find a good comparison of the phones. This is not meant to bash the 6P at all. I don't regret buying it and it has served me well for the most part.

Before I start, I know I am comparing a phone that came out a couple months ago (Huawei Mate 9) with one that came out over a year ago (6P). I ordered and then cancelled the order for a Pixel the day it came out. I just couldn't swallow paying $1100 for a phone when my 6P was fine.

I posted on here about some significant battery drain issues I was experiencing with my 6P over the past month. I couldn't fix it. I came across the Mate 9, read positive reviews, and went against my Nexus/Google core to buy it.

Aside from the battery problem, two things have bugged me about the 6P for a long time: (1) average (sometimes poor) fingerprint response time and (2) terrible camera response time.

People raved about the "learning fingerprint sensor" but I didn't get it. It actually seemed to get worse over time. As I pulled it from my pocket with my finger on the sensor, I would already be looking at the screen before it came on.

[FYI – I read about a trick you can do on the Pixel to improve fingerprint recognition. You register the same finger twice. It actually improved the 6P’s performance a little too.]

HORRIBLE 6P CAMERA LAG…
The camera situation was just ridiculous. I tried multiple camera apps and mostly stuck with the Google camera app because it seemed to lag the least. It still had lag. Sometimes I would take a picture and lower the phone down only to realize I didn't hold it up long enough and all I got was a blur from my moving the camera down.

When I was in Africa and Europe earlier this year, it was downright annoying - especially if I asked someone to take a picture for me. Like always, I would have to explain to them not to move the camera until they see the picture show up in the little preview circle. Try explaining that to a guy in Morocco who doesn't speak English. Don't get me wrong - the 6P takes some awesome photos when you get them.

I don’t know what Huawei “discovered” since the 6P but this Mate 9 solved both of those problems beyond my expectations. The fingerprint reader is lightning fast. My phone screen is on before I can even bring up to look at it. The lightest touch unlocks the phone.

The camera… it’s instant. I find myself holding the phone up for several seconds wondering if it even took the picture. Literally, tap the shutter button it instantly shoots the photo. Yes, that’s in full auto, no HDR, but I can actually grab my phone shoot something quickly and it works. The camera is also dual lens and loaded with features that I haven’t explored yet. I’m just so pleased with the quick shooting that I find myself taking pictures of everything right now! The pictures come out great in my average guy opinion.

Huawei also managed to pack a larger screen (5.9”) into a body that is basically the same size and no thicker than the 6P.

The biggest thing I know I’ll miss from my 6P is the updates. They were timely and maintained the Android OS at its best. Pure Android was a nice base. The Mate 9 uses Huawei’s latest skin which isn’t terrible. I didn’t really care because I have been using a launcher for so long. I just installed it on the Mate 9.

The other thing I’ll miss is the beautiful AMOLED screen on the 6P. It’s just brilliant. For some reason, Huawei went with a standard LCD HD screen. It’s fine. That’s it, just fine. There is a “pro” and “Porsche” version of the Mate 9 with a better screen but my point here was not to spend $1,000 on a phone.

BATTERY LIFE!
Oh… battery life? The Mate 9 is a beast. Not only does it have a bigger battery, it has various built in power saving features beyond those in the OS that create very impressive results. For example, it has what I would liken to Greenify built in. Yes, my 6P performed a lot better when it was new but this Mate 9 takes it to a whole other level. I don’t know how this will hold up over time. It does quick charging (unfortunately, using a Huawei proprietary system).

About the Huawei OS tweaks... they are all over. I was thinking I would find them silly (a la Samsung) but they have actually added some very nice features into the OS. The way you can control notfications is so polished. It does a better job than tweaking with the System UI tuner.

Again, the one thing I don’t know is how the Mate 9 will perform over time. Supposedly Huawei put specific emphasis on making sure it continues to perform well over time using some sort of machine learning. Who knows if that’s a real thing.

The Pixel, which is probably what you should compare this too, may be a better phone but it costs almost double. The Mate 9 cost about the same as my 6P did. I’ll use this until the next Google phone and then consider whether or not to jump back into the Google bubble. I do miss that OS support!

Interesting. I also am thinking about switching to mate 9. Last month theese shutdown problems are driving me crazy. And i have an interesting offer from my carrier, i can switch my phones every 6 months. Give back old one and take a new one.
How about the performance, and speaker quality comparing with 6p?
And the display?is it noticable the resolution difference?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

HORRIBLE 6P CAMERA LAG…

BATTERY LIFE!

Did you notice them phoning home to China with all your data? Sorry, couldn't resist.:)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the write up, appreciate the comparison and examples provided.

• Yes, the finger print response is SLOW...it hasnt got worse or better over time, its just slow all the time (compared to my ols 5S and work 6S)
  • Camera is laggy, i wont deny it. I think it takes fantastic shots but is slow to get going.
  • For a big phone and the size of the battery itself, i do find the longivity of the battery life underwhelming about 60% of the time.
  • The AMOLED screen is stellar as you stated
  • Love the dual facing speakers
  • Stock android is where its at, no OEM garbage Android for me anymore

With that all said, I had a hard enough time considering a HUAWEI device but was OK since this was under the umbrella of Google. I personally would never buy a non-Google HUAWEI device because I just dont trust them. Glad you're enjoying the phone and thanks again for the write up.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback PaulQ. There are a couple main reasons i would suggested the Nexus 6P and you mentioned them. Stock android and fast updates and gorgeous screen. I think every phone has it flaws, whether we find out about them after 2 days or 2 months.

The updates. Timely and maintained the Android OS at its best. Pure Android was a nice base

The Mate 9 is certainly a tremendous device, but a little to big for me. Need something a little more parable :)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
How about the performance, and speaker quality comparing with 6p?
And the display?is it noticable the resolution difference?

Yes - the front firing speakers are really great on the 6P. The Mate 9 has the typical bottom firing speakers. They're good but the 6P blows away most phones when it comes to listening to music.

The screen is going to be a matter of personal preference. In everyday use, I don't find myself noticing the difference. If I stop to look closely, yes the 6P's screen is clearly sharper. I've watched videos and looked at pictures... it's not something that's bothering me. I'm actually kind of surprised that the blacks are pretty good.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you notice them phoning home to China with all your data? Sorry, couldn't resist.:)

I know! That actually crossed my mind! I've actually thought of that many times. I'm also not clear on how encryption works on this phone. It's not a settting. I'm getting addicted to this speed though!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The Mate 9 is certainly a tremendous device, but a little to big for me. Need something a little more parable :)

I just held the 6P and Mate 9 against each other. The Mate 9 is almost exactly the same size! In fact, with the case on the 6P, the 6P is bigger! I have a thin TPU case on the 6P and a minimal case on the Mate 9. You would not notice any difference in size.

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
Thank you @PaulQ for this post. I have been debating on whether or not to sell my 6P for the Mate 9. I do love the OS support that the 6P has, but I did get to HD and mess with Mate 9 and do love it. I think it would be a good choice given all the positive reviews I have seen. I think I may make the switch myself.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks OP. I had major battery issues on my 6p as well and had to move on. Like you I couldn't pull the trigger on $1000 for the pixel. I went the one plus 3t route. Very happy.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I know! That actually crossed my mind! I've actually thought of that many times. I'm also not clear on how encryption works on this phone. It's not a settting. I'm getting addicted to this speed though!

Thanks for the review. I was giving this a look. I am happy with the 6P for the most part and my battery is back to being acceptable again but it requires too much effort to do so. That 4000 mAh minimum is a must for my next phone.The Mate 9 checks a lot of the boxes. I still don't trust their software though.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site

My understanding is that encryption is built into Android. Different OEMs can do different things with it, but I believe there's a stock encryption native to Android that should protect you automatically.

That said, always assume that nothing is private on any device, unless you're running a live version of Tails on your computer. Then you're (probably) safe.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

There is no hardware encryption. I think there is only SD card encryption.

cweb69

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see Huawei beginning their push into the North American market. They do know how to make some really nice hardware. Hoping they become a player in the Android One game when that makes it's debut stateside.

spewak

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you @PaulQ for this post. I have been debating on whether or not to sell my 6P for the Mate 9. I do love the OS support that the 6P has, but I did get to HD and mess with Mate 9 and do love it. I think it would be a good choice given all the positive reviews I have seen. I think I may make the switch myself.

You really should. The OP's write-up is %100 accurate. This phone is amazing. Not bigger than the 6p despite the larger screen size. Included in the box is a Case and they have pre-installed a screen protector on the Mate 9. Charging is really fast. Battery life is awesome.