Nokia 8 Auto Focus problem

Juanan Lopez

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

My Nokia 8 autofocus doesn't work until I give it a rap to it. So from this moment till I close camera app is working properly.

Anyone with the same problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Oreo forum to the Nokia 8 forum, since this is not a general Oreo issue.

What you describe would suggest the autofocus mechanism is getting jammed (it's one of the only two moving parts in a phone, the other being the vibratory motor). If the phone is still under warranty, I'd contact Nokia for repair.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a problem with the stock camera app. It can't keep the focus locked.

I honestly recommend you to use a different camera app at least until you get the update that will replace the stock camera on the Nokia 8 with the Nokia Pro Camera app (aka the Lumia Camera)

Thunda600

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
That's a problem with the stock camera app. It can't keep the focus locked.

I honestly recommend you to use a different camera app at least until you get the update that will replace the stock camera on the Nokia 8 with the Nokia Pro Camera app (aka the Lumia Camera)

Is there definitely an update coming to the stock camera app ?

JellymanEN

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
The pro camera app will come, maybe not before Nokia 8 Sirocco is on sale, but some in Nokia support has confirmed that it will come.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there definitely an update coming to the stock camera app ?

Yes. The Nokia Pro Camera will be made available to ALL phones WITH ZEISS lenses. That means the Nokia 6 (2018), 7, 7+, 8 and 8S.

When will the update be deployed...that we don't know yet. It may only be released in April...or it may be released with the March security update. HMD hasn't said.

NOW...will the update fix this focusing issue? Your guess is as good as mine.

Toby Barrett

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Agreed. It's not so much that the auto-focus doesn't work just that it can be very slow. A wait of a few seconds will annoy impatient family members! Following this, I've switched to Open Camera and initially it seems better at auto focus.

nate0

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes. The Nokia Pro Camera will be made available to ALL phones WITH ZEISS lenses. That means the Nokia 6 (2018), 7, 7+, 8 and 8S.

When will the update be deployed...that we don't know yet. It may only be released in April...or it may be released with the March security update. HMD hasn't said.

NOW...will the update fix this focusing issue? Your guess is as good as mine.

How does the app interact with the HW? Meaning would the app actually solve some problems?
Like said above moving to a new app helped a bit. But how far will the Pro Cam app help or not before Nokia sends a fw update with that? I know more about how the Lumias/Windows Phones work under the hood and on those it is easy to spot an app problem opposed to a firmware problem.

I had autofocus issues while shooting video, but only after zooming. Or if a bit too much light came into focus. Not a huge deal but it forced me to adjust my physical position a bit.

spotthewonderdog

Mar 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi just thought I'd share my thoughts. 3 week old nokia 8... camera was working brilliantly a few days ago. today auto focus stopped working on rear camera in color or dual mode, but mono auto focuses perfectly. Front camera no problems.
Found the only resolution was to shake the phone with some volience (as much as I can without dropping it!), and voila! auto focus works. Sounds like similar issue to Jaunan Lopez original post.
Also downloaded another camera app, and same problem. So seems to be a hardware design issue, not software... but then why does auto focus always work on black and white mode? Presumably to do with the action of the twin lenses that comes into play in that mode??

Last edited:

Manmeet Singh Soni

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
Hi just thought I'd share my thoughts. 3 week old nokia 8... camera was working brilliantly a few days ago. today auto focus stopped working on rear camera in color or dual mode, but mono auto focuses perfectly. Front camera no problems.
Found the only resolution was to shake the phone with some volience (as much as I can without dropping it!), and voila! auto focus works. Sounds like similar issue to Jaunan Lopez original post.
Also downloaded another camera app, and same problem. So seems to be a hardware design issue, not software... but then why does auto focus always work on black and white mode? Presumably to do with the action of the twin lenses that comes into play in that mode??

Been facing the exact same issue for the past couple of weeks. The color mode apparently uses an optical stabilizer which could be running a bit haywire or is probably kaput. The mono mode does not use a stabilizer, perhaps why there is no loss of focus or haziness in the picture.

phantom87ita

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Just bought a Nokia 8 with 128gb Rom and 6gb RAM. I am experiencing the same problem with the camera. I have to shake it a little to make the focus work. So if It hasn't been fixed until now, i guess It won't anymore... congratulation Nokia, your return is not going well.

Salvatore5K

Dec 26, 2018
Visit site
Yes,i have the same problem.Let me give you my personal suggestion (as i have my own method for making it work again).If your phone camera cannot autofocus,try shaking your phone up and diwn for a few times,it worked for me but im not sure if it will work for someone else or no*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty