How good is the Oneplus 3's battery life?

zijin_cheng

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
My friend was on the verge of getting a Nexus 6p (his card got rejected by newegg twice :)) before I told him about the Oneplus 3 releasing.

We are in Canada, and the N6p is going for around $550CAD on sale, and he's interested in the Oneplus 3, which is $520CAD.

For both of us, battery life is the biggest concern we have. I've read all the reviews but I still can't get a sense of how good battery life is going to be, A.Martonik was talking about SOT with "heavy", "medium" use but that could be different from me (my friend).

My friend and I are both ultra heavy users in terms of battery life. Not all the time, but when the time comes for the phone to be used extremely heavily, we don’t want to have to remember to bring a charger for that day. A typical day of “ultra heavy” usage would consist of something like 6 hours of youtube streaming and 2 hours of light gaming. We would then have about 20% battery left which would be enough for another day and a half of light use (think texting, web browsing). He obviously does not expect this phone to hit that mark, but he would like to have some in depth battery tests done to see how close it can get before he pulls the trigger.

Iv’e read threads online where they talk about how the Nexus 6p’s battery life is a bit better because of the bigger capacity, but I’m still not sure. I find web browsing WiFi tests and video playback tests at a constant brightness/constant reload cycle are a good indicator of battery life as long as the testing body does not “cheat”, eg allow the phone’s display to power off during testing to prolong the battery. Still waiting for GSMArena’s battery tests as they have one of the biggest libraries of battery tests. I think I read one review where they indicated that they could playback video (no other info about brightness, resolution etc) on the 1+3 for 14 hours 26 minutes, which is real good.

Any thoughts?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest waiting a few more days until the device makes it's way to the hands of users and see what everyone is saying about the battery life. I believe the AC editors/writers do a great job with assessing battery life. After-all, they are pushing these devices to their max with writing reviews to give us the best possible real world look at the device.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Probably less battery life than the OP would like. Tech Radar achieved about 16-17 hours in their test. They also managed 6 hours of 2K video playback. See...

OnePlus 3 review

However, with Dash Charge you can charge up to 63% in only 30 min's.

If it is battery life you are after, then the daddy of them all in the current flagship range is the Galaxy S7 Edge, Exynos, model, G935W8, for Canada that comes with a large 3600mAh battery and can offer 10.5 hours web browsing, talk time of 24.35 hours and 13 hours of video playback. See, here.

Having said that, it does cost around twice the price of the OnePlus 3.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
So far so good for the battery. Today will be the first full day of use with my normal patterns. So I'll report what I manage later on.

Posted via the Android Central App

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
If you look a few threads down I posted my 24 hour battery life usage stats. Its been the best battery on any phone ive ever used. 6:30 hours SOT and 25 hours off charger.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So far, this has been the best battery life of any phone I've ever owned; the only caveat I'd add is - it's not pushing new boundaries here, if this is actually the best smartphone on the market for battery life (and I'm not saying it is, but it's the best I've had!) - then it really confirms there's still a lot of work to be done!

One super-important point for me though - dash charging is excellent. I hate fast charging because it makes my phone feel like it's on fire, ultimately ruining my battery life, so what's the point? OnePlus have achieved amazing speeds (and in this area they've really done a top job) but they focus on the additional heat staying in the charger - before it ever reaches the phone. This, combines with the higher speeds, makes the OnePlus epic in my eyes.

Also - as far as I'm concerned, invalidates people's complaints about Dash Charging only working on OnePlus chargers and cables - there's a very good reason folks! Heat is bad. That's not to say it doesn't warm up the phone, but nowhere near fast charging on my old S6 edge.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. it sucks that we have to buy all new usb c cables and car chargers etc, but the fact that it charges so quickly and efficiently is definitely worth it. I was able to upgrade the firmware plus all android apps after reboot and the phone still went from 20 to 82% in the 30 min it took to process the upgrade and updates and the phone never got hot to the touch. Excellent job. Ive already ordered the Dash car charger to top off my phone everyday on my drive home from work.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I really like dash charging as well. However, with other quick chargers, including my quick charge car charger, it still charges at a very respectable rate. Which is nice.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
And here is my first full day with it. Pretty decent. Maybe squeezed a little more out of it than I did with my 6p when it was new.

Attachments

• 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 101

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
And here is my first full day with it. Pretty decent. Maybe squeezed a little more out of it than I did with my 6p when it was new.

Pretty decent? Id say that's excellent. Considering you got 5:30 SOT while having Bluetooth active for the full 17 hours and the fact that the phone was held awake for over 2 hours this is EXCELLENT. Like I posted on my original battery review thread, I got 6:30 hours but with Bluetooth off. Best battery on any phone right now.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Pretty decent? Id say that's excellent. Considering you got 5:30 SOT while having Bluetooth active for the full 17 hours and the fact that the phone was held awake for over 2 hours this is EXCELLENT. Like I posted on my original battery review thread, I got 6:30 hours but with Bluetooth off. Best battery on any phone right now.

It has been pretty good. I still want to give it a couple weeks. I've never had great luck with battery life when others have. Do you keep gestures on at all? Location? Any other settings?

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It has been pretty good. I still want to give it a couple weeks. I've never had great luck with battery life when others have. Do you keep gestures on at all? Location? Any other settings?

I've kept just about everything on deliberately. I like having loads of features on, it seems a shame to have to disable them like on phones I've had previously :)

I hit the gym in mornings, Bluetooth headphones, LTE permanently on, lots of SOT from updating fitness tracker. Hits my battery hard, but where I would walk away 75-78% in my Galaxy S6 edge, I've got around 93% on this consistently. Very happy, I can finally arrive in the office and not have to know where I've left my charger.

Dan Persa

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Tonight something weird happened. When I went to sleep, around 12a.m I had around 45% battery left on my OnePlus 3.

In the morning, the alarm didn't ring, as the phone was fully discharged :((

Before that I had an LG G2, and never experienced a so fast discharge during the night. Usually it drained 5-10 percent during the night.

Anybody else experienced something similar??

PS the last part of the battery graph is the dash charge, which works great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160626-092058.jpg
    Screenshot_20160626-092058.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 87

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
This the best android phone that I've used in terms of battery life. I'm a fairly heavy user but I do turn off Bluetooth and location unless I need them which isn't often, keep this in mind. But I offset that by going ham on snapchat, tons of browsing and and email, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, etc. I have a few phones lying around that I use still and these are my averages:

nexus 6( 3.5 hours SOT this is a bad result for such a big phone).

LG V10(4:00 SOT better but still lacking, I turn off the second screen)

Nexus 5( 2:00 SOT the battery has never been changed so I'm sure it's degraded but battery life has always been pretty woeful).

One plus 3(only been a few days but have not changed my usage pattern and I am getting 5.5 hours easily could probably get 6 if I turn the brightness a bit down)

I am shocked at how good it is, and shocked at how good the dash charger works. It is blazing fast and I can use the phone while charging and it doesn't heat up. My nexus 6 on the turbo charger can reach nuclear levels of thermo and it degrades the user experience.

$399 for this is an absolute steal. 1080p I would imagine helps with battery life but also with performance, on my Nexus 6 or V10 if I'm in a crappy signal area my data speeds can get as low as 2 mgbs, and pulling up an Instagram page for example can be painfully slow with images loading for seemingly forever, the one plus 3 renders all the pictures almost instantly regardless of connection speed(and sadly the one plus 3 is worse at signal strength, lg v10 is by far the best at this ).

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a bad app kept the phone awake. I would load GSAM and keep an eye on the apps you have.

Tonight something weird happened. When I went to sleep, around 12a.m I had around 45% battery left on my OnePlus 3.

In the morning, the alarm didn't ring, as the phone was fully discharged :((

Before that I had an LG G2, and never experienced a so fast discharge during the night. Usually it drained 5-10 percent during the night.

Anybody else experienced something similar??

PS the last part of the battery graph is the dash charge, which works great.

dea0002

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Monday, and I really hope the battery performance levels out in the next day or so.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the 11.5 average battery life so far. The average SOT is a bit high at 4:38, but that's not even with any particularly intense usage - no gaming, not much streaming (video or audio), just general setup and login routines. I do understand the first week is typically very erratic, but I really hope it stabilizes closer to what the reviews and you all described.

Dash Charging is pretty awesome. A car charger has never made so much sense - I could actually get a good charge during my commute!

Attachments

• 1283.jpg
    1283.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 75

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
8 days into ownership, and my battery life is still very impressive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160629-141645.jpg
    Screenshot_20160629-141645.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 70

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just charged mine when it hit 15%, bang on 6:30:00 screen on and went from 15% to 83% in 32 minutes...

Pretty nice.

I don't usually dash charge, but the results are impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa