Samsung S5 to OnePlus 3 upgrade - worth it?

Jon12345

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5, which I have used for the past 2 years. It seems to have slowed down considerably. Is that normal for Android phones?

In any case, I am wondering if its worth the upgrade to OnePlus 3. What differences would I notice? I know the OnePlus 3 is a cheaper phone and the S5 is a premium phone, although older. So because of this, I am seeking clarification on how big a difference I will notice.

Thanks,

Jon

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
I have an s5 from work and I've never considered it premium. Hands down the Oneplus is far superior in every way. Granted the recent update of the s5 to Marshmallow improved it a lot but I'll still take the Oneplus. At $400 or so I think it's a bargain.

However with Google releasing the new Nexus in a couple months it may be worth waiting for that. I'm already thinking about getting one of those as well and I've only had the Oneplus a bit over a week.

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
From a hardware perspective the two are similar, from a value perspective it's hard to say. I've only had the OnePlus a bit over a week. I haven't had a Nexus. From everything I'm reading the potential benefits of Nexus over the OnePlus are faster updates from Google, more responsive support from Google for the Nexus, potentially better support from carriers for the Nexus since they know the product line, and a more "pure" Android experience from the Nexus since OnePlus layers on their own (which is very nice, don't get me wrong) OxygenOS on top of Android OS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking the OnePlus. I would like a response from support for the two tickets I opened a few days ago. The one ticket they did respond to was for a password reset for my OnePlus account and their response was "we don't have access to change that password, create a new account" and they closed the ticket. Pretty dismal response imo.

Jon12345

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
doa70, how are you getting along with your OnePlus 3 now that you have had it a bit longer? I am tempted to wait to see what the Nexus 7 will be like, but I am fed up with using my Samsung S5, which is slow as anything now. Also, there are some nice features which really appeal on the OnePlus 3. For example, I like the silent notifications slider. Great idea. Also, the V for flashlight. The super fast fingerprint unlock. To name but a few.

Not sure about the 5.5" form factor though. Does it sit ok in a jeans pocket?

tpmbb10

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have reasonably large hands and I find the 5.5" form factor to be as big as I'd go. I picked up an HTC 10 at one point, and it was probably right in the sweet spot in terms of size.

In terms of whether or not it's "worth" the upgrade, you are the only one who can truly answer that. I have no qualms recommending the phone. Performance and battery life are amazing and if you feel it's worth spending the extra $$ on a new phone, this one is worth your consideration.