After the OTA Nougat upgrade..

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a few things:

1) I don't see the sRGB display option. Has it moved? I think I've visited most settings and haven't seen it per se.

2) I've had to reset several weather widgets. I had to uninstall the Timely app and reinstall it to make it work (after I tweaked some (unrelated?) settings and the widget vanished). But this only happened after I was messing around in developer settings and turned on the option to force activities to be re-sizable. Interestingly, I could long press the space and get the app info, but the widget itself would not show and I could not create another visible Timely widget even in a new screen. But an uninstall and re-install of Timely fixed that.

3) the sweeper is gone and replaced by a staggered 3 line hash icon which I presume is the clear option, and does not function as the sweeper did to close processes too.

4) playing some with the split screen option, (I'd long wished to be able to show Waze and Maps at the same time), I found that while both display fine, the only one that updates is the one I last touched. So they don't both update in split screen mode. Now I later went in and killed Waze from aggressive Doze. I haven't tried them both together since I did that. (I didn't see Maps as an option to kill in aggressive Doze). I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

I'm sure I'll find more as I fiddle with Nougat. So far, so good!

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: After the OTA upgrade..

#1 = Settings > Display > Screen calibration > sRGB

#2 = I would expect that after an update. Pocket mode may need re-setting, too. Sometimes, APN settings.

#3 = Correct

#4 = speedlever is a happy bunny, I take it with his Nougat update.

You did the correct thing when updating an Android platform, (Marshmallow -> Nougat), and read about it and backed things up before updating.... rather than rushing headlong in. ironass motto... "Prepare for the worst... hope for the best!" :)

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

#1 = Settings > Display > Screen calibration > sRGB

#2 = I would expect that after an update. Pocket mode may need re-setting, too. Sometimes, APN settings.

#3 = Correct

#4 = speedlever is a happy bunny, I take it with his Nougat update.

You did the correct thing when updating an Android platform, (Marshmallow -> Nougat), and read about it and backed things up before updating.... rather than rushing headlong in. ironass motto... "Prepare for the worst... hope for the best!" :)

Ah, that's where that setting is hiding! (sRGB mode. Not that I use it, but was curious.

Other than a couple of missing stock icons after the update, I didn't really find any work to do until I began 'tweaking' this morning. Fortunately, my tweaks were easily fixable. ;)

Before I did the update, I went through each home screen (5 of them) and made notes about apps and locations. Especially apps grouped in folders. I didn't bother to dive into each app and record my custom settings. I figured if it all died on me, I'd just figure it out on the go as I reinstalled everything.

I'm still tempted to FDR and move to the F2FS file system, but I'll probably wait until I've made other modifications, etc. and not update my notes so I can fuss at myself for having to install and tweak from old, outdated notes. :D

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I'm still tempted to FDR and move to the F2FS file system, but I'll probably wait until I've made other modifications, etc. and not update my notes so I can fuss at myself for having to install and tweak from old, outdated notes. :D

Go on.... you know you want to speedlever!

Admittedly there is some work involved but providing all your contacts, calendar, apps and settings are backed up to Google, it should not take too long to copy photos, documents, music, etc; back again. I am always surprised at how many GB I reclaim by getting rid of all the old detritus from previous firmware updates after an FDR. Plus, you will have the new F2FS file system, found on the 3T and more suited to flash drives. However, far be it from me to influence you. ;)

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

However, far be it from me to influence you. ;)

Heh! Yeah, no influence at all!

It's not all those docs, contacts, etc. Those are the easy things (having Google Contacts, Gmail, etc.). It's the tweaks I make to my apps. Custom setups and layouts, etc. It just takes a while. And I never document that stuff so I always have to hope I remember everything. Especially apps like Torque Pro with a custom layout that took me a while to develop. Fortunately, I can back that up and then restore it. But I do it so seldom that I always have to relearn how to accomplish such a simple task (and every app is different in that regard).

So I Google how to do that and a 10 minute job suddenly gets to be a 2 hour re-learning process. And the same for Nova Prime. So while the tools are there in many cases, I don't use them enough to be proficient without having to go back through the learning process. And that's what takes me so long.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is why Google need to have something like titanium backup baked in. Sure it could potentially be exploited, but it's too useful to not have.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Heh! Yeah, no influence at all!

It's not all those docs, contacts, etc. Those are the easy things (having Google Contacts, Gmail, etc.). It's the tweaks I make to my apps. Custom setups and layouts, etc. It just takes a while. And I never document that stuff so I always have to hope I remember everything. Especially apps like Torque Pro with a custom layout that took me a while to develop. Fortunately, I can back that up and then restore it. But I do it so seldom that I always have to relearn how to accomplish such a simple task (and every app is different in that regard).

So I Google how to do that and a 10 minute job suddenly gets to be a 2 hour re-learning process. And the same for Nova Prime. So while the tools are there in many cases, I don't use them enough to be proficient without having to go back through the learning process. And that's what takes me so long.
I'm like you, I have a few applications that are easy to setup. Then comes all of the rest. Oy vey the time it takes to log into every app again... No thank you. I generally avoid factory resets at all costs. I'm not impressed enough with the F2FS improvement reported yet. I have zero animations - turned off thanks to developer options. My nova launcher is set to faster than light animation... I am not convinced the time it takes to personalize my phone after a factory reset is worth the F2FS extra seconds of response time. My OnePlus 3 has excellent response time now while on EXT4 - in my opinion.

If I do factory reset, it will be to root my phone and install a ROM with legacy OS theme engine baked in to get rid of what I consider to be excessive white in stock Google apps

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I also prefer dark themes. Like you, I have all my animations in developer options turned off. I had Nova speeds set to Nova, but changed them to FTL after reading your info above. I'll see if I notice any difference over the next few days.

I don't see rooting my phone. I enjoy using Android Pay.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Speedlever, not sure if you noticed this or not.

It's in advanced settings, which I don't remember being there in marshmallow...

Attachments

• 20197.jpg
    20197.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 69

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

This is why Google need to have something like titanium backup baked in. Sure it could potentially be exploited, but it's too useful to not have.
I have toyed with helium back up which can backup nonrooted phones only if the phone is connected to the computer. I'm not sure how it works since I haven't used it yet.

Mptrh336

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed a few things:

1) I don't see the sRGB display option. Has it moved? I think I've visited most settings and haven't seen it per se.

2) I've had to reset several weather widgets. I had to uninstall the Timely app and reinstall it to make it work (after I tweaked some (unrelated?) settings and the widget vanished). But this only happened after I was messing around in developer settings and turned on the option to force activities to be re-sizable. Interestingly, I could long press the space and get the app info, but the widget itself would not show and I could not create another visible Timely widget even in a new screen. But an uninstall and re-install of Timely fixed that.

3) the sweeper is gone and replaced by a staggered 3 line hash icon which I presume is the clear option, and does not function as the sweeper did to close processes too.

4) playing some with the split screen option, (I'd long wished to be able to show Waze and Maps at the same time), I found that while both display fine, the only one that updates is the one I last touched. So they don't both update in split screen mode. Now I later went in and killed Waze from aggressive Doze. I haven't tried them both together since I did that. (I didn't see Maps as an option to kill in aggressive Doze). I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

I'm sure I'll find more as I fiddle with Nougat. So far, so good!

I've noticed a dramatic decrease in call volume since the update. So much so that I've had to bench the phone until it's corrected. Maybe extreme I guess but I use my phone for business and can't afford to not hear the people on the other end of the line. Anybody have a fix? I've tried using Bluetooth and wired headsets as well.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site

What was the picture of? What setting was it? The tapatalk app doesn't like to show pictures.

Via settings, you can configure the clear all icon to do a normal clear (without affecting processes), or a deep clear which kills background processes... like the old sweeper did in MM/3.2.8. Fortunately, the default appears to be the normal clear.

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

After the N update, the desktop background had a blurring effect that increased between home screen flips. Reset the wallpaper image and now blurring gone.

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have to explain to people that Android does not have a comprehensive backup program. People think that turning Google Sync on backs up everything. In fact it backs up hardly anything. There is not 1 program that does it all. Even Samsung's Smart Switch failed to backup my text messages after mid-2015. Fortunately I'd done a SMS Backup and Restore.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a couple more differences between OOS 3.2.8 and 4.0:
1) when in do not disturb mode (slider in middle position), in 3.2.8, media would not have any audio (which I what I like). But in OOS 4.0, media has audio and I see no option to disable it when in do not disturb mode.

2) I noticed this morning that I'm getting a 30 minute advance notice (my Pebble Steel lights up and vibrates) on an upcoming alarm on my Pebble. I didn't have that before in 3.2.8. I need to check my Pebble settings, but I know I haven't changed anything there, so am not quite sure where to look.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a couple more differences between OOS 3.2.8 and 4.0:
1) when in do not disturb mode (slider in middle position), in 3.2.8, media would not have any audio (which I what I like). But in OOS 4.0, media has audio and I see no option to disable it when in do not disturb mode.

2) I noticed this morning that I'm getting a 30 minute advance notice (my Pebble Steel lights up and vibrates) on an upcoming alarm on my Pebble. I didn't have that before in 3.2.8. I need to check my Pebble settings, but I know I haven't changed anything there, so am not quite sure where to look.

1) there is an option in silent mode (top position) to disable audio too. If that helps. So I think they just moved that option to silent mode maybe?

What I don't like, is that I used to be able to just turn the volume all the way down, using the volume rocker, and set it to vibrate. Now the volume rocker only goes to the lowest volume setting and you have to put the mode switch to silent position for vibrate only. I'm personally not a huge fan of the switch, especially with a case on.

2) no idea. Lol

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have audio and vibration disabled (I assume they are disabled when the option is enabled) in silent mode. But I miss having the media audio option in DND mode.

I'm not sure if the volume down setting is from Google or OP. But yeah, I agree it would be nice to hold the volume button down to get to vibrate mode. While I can pretty easily get to the alert slider, it's compromised a bit because I also use a case. I have to be pretty deliberate about the attempt to move the slider.

I used to use Shush on my GS4. But I haven't really missed it on the OP3. Yet.

Maybe the answer to my 2nd question lies in the settings for DND. I see an option for reminders. But I'm unsure what action occurs when I have reminders enabled. Does that bypass the DND setting and sound the alert for a reminder? Or does that disable the reminder alert when in DND?

In other words, are reminders on when off? Or off when on when in DND?