OnePlus is catching a bit if a beating

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm listening to different reviews and it's not the praise fest the 3 was. Yes the software is great but the camera bashing and copying of another phone plus lack of wireless charging and water resistant isnt good.

I think the phone looks bad *** and the price is competitive but Samsung's special threw a bone in the side of one plus as well as the g6 specials going on.

For what it is it's a good phone but I think competition from others like zte as well as more big dogs like Samsung having specials isnt doing one plus any favors.

One plus will sell just fine but I don't think it's gonna expand outside of internet techies who know about them.

Also think about this if the camera isn't that great what's the purpose of something the extra 150 when you can get a axon 7 with a bad camera as well?

I'm seeing YouTube people make new videos talking bad about them OnePlus is built by the tech heads having them bash you when you have a small market with regular folks who don't know your product isnt good.

OnePlus needs to bring out a new model if the talk doesn't stop. They can't afford a mediocre device when you have good 400 dollar phones by other companies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree it hasn't been that well received; some of the criticism seems to be well deserved, but I also think it's completely unreasonable for people to continue to want a Galaxy S8 level phone for $300. That's just not how things work.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that the OnePlus hype machine gave the impression that the device is more impressive than it actually is.

Honestly, no one should be expecting Samsung-levels of quality at a significantly lower price.

I firmly think we should really stop getting suckered into the hype.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think everyone's major disappointment is the camera. I guess it's pretty tough to make a good processing algorithm for the photos. We have seen many companies with much higher budgets struggle for years until they started nailing them recently. Google, HTC etc are few to name until they got awesome cameras in Pixel, U11 etc. Early Nexus models always struggled with camera, same with so many other OEMs. It's easy to stuff the phone with great specs but not so easy to get the camera processing algorithms perfect.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think everyone's major disappointment is the camera. I guess it's pretty tough to make a good processing algorithm for the photos. We have seen many companies with much higher budgets struggle for years until they started nailing them recently. Google, HTC etc are few to name until they got awesome cameras in Pixel, U11 etc. Early Nexus models always struggled with camera, same with so many other OEMs. It's easy to stuff the phone with great specs but not so easy to get the camera processing algorithms perfect.
I think it's a combination of weird hardware with inconsistent software.

The IMX398 is definitely capable of nice shots, with great contrast and detail plus solid dynamic range. My issue is the blending of an IMX350, which has a higher resolution on a relatively small sensor mixed in with a small aperture.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I think it's a combination of weird hardware with inconsistent software.

The IMX398 is definitely capable of nice shots, with great contrast and detail plus solid dynamic range. My issue is the blending of an IMX350, which has a higher resolution on a relatively small sensor mixed in with a small aperture.
I don't really know anything about sensor. Someone mentioned that op5 has small sensor. Is that bad?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't really know anything about sensor. Someone mentioned that op5 has small sensor. Is that bad?
It depends.

The OnePlus 5 uses the Sony Exmor RS IMX398, an upgraded version of the IMX298 used on its predecessor, and apparently was co-developed with parent company Oppo. The sensor is a 1/2.8" diagonal CMOS sensor with a maximum resolution of approximately 16 megapixels with an individual pixel-size of approximately 1.12 microns. Like its predecessor, the sensor features PDAF, although the 398 features a dual-photodiode tech first used on the Canon EOS 70D and Galaxy S7.

Smaller sensors aren't always bad on their own, but higher resolution on a small surface area leads to smaller pixels, which means that each pixel is unable to receive sufficient light, resulting in poorer light sensitivity. The smaller pixels also mean that dynamic range is limited as the pixels can be more easily flooded. Smaller sensors and pixels combo also take more of a beating in low-light, and it's also worth noting that an f/1.7 aperture on a 1/2.6" sensor is larger than the same f-stop aperture on a 1/2.8" sensor.

The interesting part is the sensor used in the secondary module; the IMX350. Same sensor size as the IMX398, but has a higher resolution at 20MP, and as a consequence, smaller 1-micron pixels. From all the reviews, it seems that the theory I mentioned above holds true. The smaller pixels combined with the shallow aperture means that the secondary sensor is unsuitable for low-light.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
It depends.

The OnePlus 5 uses the Sony Exmor RS IMX398, an upgraded version of the IMX298 used on its predecessor, and apparently was co-developed with parent company Oppo. The sensor is a 1/2.8" diagonal CMOS sensor with a maximum resolution of approximately 16 megapixels with an individual pixel-size of approximately 1.12 microns. Like its predecessor, the sensor features PDAF, although the 398 features a dual-photodiode tech first used on the Canon EOS 70D and Galaxy S7.

Smaller sensors aren't always bad on their own, but higher resolution on a small surface area leads to smaller pixels, which means that each pixel is unable to receive sufficient light, resulting in poorer light sensitivity. The smaller pixels also mean that dynamic range is limited as the pixels can be more easily flooded. Smaller sensors and pixels combo also take more of a beating in low-light, and it's also worth noting that an f/1.7 aperture on a 1/2.6" sensor is larger than the same f-stop aperture on a 1/2.8" sensor.

The interesting part is the sensor used in the secondary module; the IMX350. Same sensor size as the IMX398, but has a higher resolution at 20MP, and as a consequence, smaller 1-micron pixels. From all the reviews, it seems that the theory I mentioned above holds true. The smaller pixels combined with the shallow aperture means that the secondary sensor is unsuitable for low-light.
Thanks. I didn't fully understand but I guess bigger sensor sounds better lol.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I didn't fully understand but I guess bigger sensor sounds better lol.
In the digital camera world, a larger sensor with larger pixels usually wins out, hence why those who have a keen eye for quality photos tend to spring for an interchangeable lens camera featuring an APS-C sensor or if their budget allows, a 35mm full-frame.

That said, the IMX398 does have some merit, with great contrast, excellent detail and solid dynamic range despite the smaller pixels. However, I still feel that it would've made more sense to go with a sensor with a slightly lower resolution and larger pixels.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm listening to different reviews and it's not the praise fest the 3 was. Yes the software is great but the camera bashing and copying of another phone plus lack of wireless charging and water resistant isnt good.

I think the phone looks bad *** and the price is competitive but Samsung's special threw a bone in the side of one plus as well as the g6 specials going on.

For what it is it's a good phone but I think competition from others like zte as well as more big dogs like Samsung having specials isnt doing one plus any favors.

One plus will sell just fine but I don't think it's gonna expand outside of internet techies who know about them.

Also think about this if the camera isn't that great what's the purpose of something the extra 150 when you can get a axon 7 with a bad camera as well?

I'm seeing YouTube people make new videos talking bad about them OnePlus is built by the tech heads having them bash you when you have a small market with regular folks who don't know your product isnt good.

OnePlus needs to bring out a new model if the talk doesn't stop. They can't afford a mediocre device when you have good 400 dollar phones by other companies.
A lot of people here are talking camera specs that i have no clue about. In my opinion it simply is a matter of raised expectations cause the product to seem as if it's just ok unless it goes above and beyond those expectations. The 3 was a solid phone, but after the 2, expectations were low for OnePlus, so when they actually got it right they were praised for it. Now they were tasked with getting to make a splash again, and that's hard in their price category.

Getting a phone 90% right when expectations are high makes the phone feel like a let down. In reality it's a great phone for $500. The scariest thing for me is their T cycle. Given the few things left out, if you can be patient and willing to spend 50 more bucks, wait 6 months and get the 5T.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people here are talking camera specs that i have no clue about. In my opinion it simply is a matter of raised expectations cause the product to seem as if it's just ok unless it goes above and beyond those expectations. The 3 was a solid phone, but after the 2, expectations were low for OnePlus, so when they actually got it right they were praised for it. Now they were tasked with getting to make a splash again, and that's hard in their price category.

Getting a phone 90% right when expectations are high makes the phone feel like a let down. In reality it's a great phone for $500. The scariest thing for me is their T cycle. Given the few things left out, if you can be patient and willing to spend 50 more bucks, wait 6 months and get the 5T.
Ignore the hype and look at the OP5 as a sub-$500 device.

In that regard, it's pretty darn good. It has powerful internals, fast software, solid battery life and a camera that, while inconsistent at times, proves to be a solid experience with some fun tricks.

The problem is, as usual, the hype.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

As an ex potential OP5 buyer, I agree with pretty much everything you say here. Spot on.
Apart from it looking bad ***. It looks terrible, a real circa 2013 bezel monster iclone. Shocking design.

Taken in isolation, it is not a bad sub £500 device. But quite correctly stated elsewhere, don't listen to any Chinese hype.

Although more often our not if you can afford £500 outright you can usually afford another £150 or so. Which gives you the pick of the current flagships.

Take the current deals into consideration and you would have to be pretty blinkered to buy one.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that there are quite a few negative or mixed reviews of the OP 5. I don't really understand,as it's still labeled as a mid-range phone; so it would of course not have all of the bells and whistles of traditional flagships. However, since its price point has been augmented, I do see others' points that it should have more specs that others have.

That isn't to say, however, that this isn't a great phone! And like I always say now with phones, there is room for improvement on every phone. And Samsung can certainly afford coupons, sales, and flagship specs due to its million dollar corporation. They don't just sell phones - they have an arsenal of revenue from TV's, fridges, and other appliances/electronic gear at their disposal. When you have revenue from other products, it's way easier to shoot for the stars with high-end specs.

I'm not making excuses for OnePlus, but I am saying that since it's a smaller company, it's harder for it to really push the envelope; compared to big corporations like Samsung and Apple. But OP's big theme is "bang for your buck," and so I still think it's doing a great job in the cell phone market. I think they're "pushing the envelope" as much as they can afford or bet on within reason.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm a gadget nut, and go through way too many phones. it's an unhealthy habit, and I'm lucky I can afford it. Having said that, I've tried many of the phones on the market. My go-to phone the majority of the last two years has ended up being one of the Samsung S or Note series.

I bought the OnePlus 3T for my mom when she needed a reasonably priced phone with a dual SIM that has a great screen, isn't too big, and has good performance. I used it for about a week, and came very close to switching away from the S7 Edge and Huawei Mate 9 that I had at the time. I found the 3T screen excellent. I personally couldn't tell the difference between it and my S7 Edge screen and it was leaps ahead of the Mate 9's (still pretty good) LCD screen.

The thing that almost got me to switch was the sheer speed and memory management. The 3T was for what I use quicker than the Pixel XL. Frankly for normal day to day use, I believe it was and maybe still is, the quickest Android phone available until the OP5.

The camera was the only reason I didn't sell both the S7 Edge and the Mate 9 (I sold both for the S8+).

I find myself now again tempted to get the OnePlus 5. I think the 8GB RAM is overkill, but 6GB is not. Apps just stay in memory forever. I love that I can switch back to an app and it's pretty much always still loaded and available for immediate use. Oxygen OS is basically what I would do if I were able to create the perfect custom ROM on top of the standard Pixel experience.

Samsung's screens are gorgeous and the one on the S8+ is even better than the S7 Edge. Their OOTB software like email client, calendar, and Contacts has actually become so good over the years that I don't bother switching to alternatives for the most part. I love Samsung Pay, and of course I love the design, etc. But when all is said and done, I still routinely find it to be annoyingly slow, and while lag has improved dramatically since the days of pure TouchWiz, I still have to reboot daily and wipe the cache partition weekly just to have less lag.

So I'm going to try out the OP5. I'm disappointed by what I'm reading about the camera, but my experience is that no matter what reviewers say, whether it's good enough for me or not is something I'll determine after using it for a few weeks.

So I'm getting my OP5 on Monday and going on a vacation to South Africa (where I grew up) on Friday. I'll take the OP5 as my primary device. My wife has an S8, so worst case, we'll use her phone for photos. I'm fairly optimistic that I'll prefer the OP5 ultimately. I'll definitely only use video in 1080P since that seems to be very well stabilized. Will write a review when I get back.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Seriously though, for this price, OP5 camera is not bad. Yes, lots of media and reviews talking bad about the camera and even here some pushing specs to downgrade it's camera performance. But, ultimately when it comes to using it as your daily driver, the camera works.

For me, camera for this price range is as expected but I would like to see OnePlus push software updates to improve the post processing of the photos, especially with the depth effect. I think the post processing is where OnePlus can make a ton of improvements.

And yes, I have the OnePlus 5 and I am using it daily to take pictures!

May 22, 2017
Visit site

Ugh...this is so true. This trend of refreshes 5-7 months in have really given me pause that I might jump ship and go back to Apple when the new one is released at the end of this year. At least with Apple, I know my device won't be one-upped by the same company after 6 months in.