Has anyone here had to return your OP6?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OK I like the phone, had it 5 days. But I'm contemplating returning it but I heard Oneplus is terrible about returns, I'm not returning it because I changed my mind, there is a problem with it, but I keep reading that they charge a 15% restock fee, no returns only exchanges or you pay the restock fee. I could be wrong but that's what I've read on several forums. As for why I am returning it, phone reboots randomly just sitting there, sometimes I have great LTE and cell signal, then I'll look at it and absolutely no signal. I'm no stranger to unlocked phones most of my phones have been unlocked non branded phones. Tried, new Sim card, different APNs, factory reset. Made no difference. But I'm not loosing 15% of $579 for the convince of returning this phone and I will not ruin my Swappa or ebay feedback by selling it. Anyone on here actually return a phone to Oneplus and got a full refund, I don't care about paying shipping back to them, that I understand, but the restock fee is B.S. for a phone with problems.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
OK I like the phone, had it 5 days. But I'm contemplating returning it but I heard Oneplus is terrible about returns, I'm not returning it because I changed my mind, there is a problem with it, but I keep reading that they charge a 15% restock fee, no returns only exchanges or you pay the restock fee. I could be wrong but that's what I've read on several forums. As for why I am returning it, phone reboots randomly just sitting there, sometimes I have great LTE and cell signal, then I'll look at it and absolutely no signal. I'm no stranger to unlocked phones most of my phones have been unlocked non branded phones. Tried, new Sim card, different APNs, factory reset. Made no difference. But I'm not loosing 15% of $579 for the convince of returning this phone and I will not ruin my Swappa or ebay feedback by selling it. Anyone on here actually return a phone to Oneplus and got a full refund, I don't care about paying shipping back to them, that I understand, but the restocking fee is B.S. for a phone with problems.

I had a problem with the Bluetooth on my OP6. I called customer service, and they gave me the option of doing an exchange or a refund. I choose the refund because did not want to wait for the return process. The return was straightforward, and I got a full refund.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem with the Bluetooth on my OP6. I called customer service, and they gave me the option of doing an exchange or a refund. I choose the refund because did not want to wait for the return process. The return was straightforward, and I got a full refund.

Thanks for the info. I explained I wanted a refund, I am assuming the woman I spoke to understood that. She was hard to understand. They have me sending it to Acer in Texas to evaluate the phone. The email sent from Acer, not oneplus, sounds like there going to try to fix it which I explained I didn't want it fixed, they didn't offer a new phone so I specifically asked for a refund. I guess I'll see what happens after Acer get the phone.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I had to send the phone to Acer also. I believe that they check the phone for damage. If I recall I got my refund within seven days.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had to send the phone to Acer also. I believe that they check the phone for damage. If I recall I got my refund within seven days.

Thanks for the information. I've actually been getting regular emails from Oneplus support about my return. I've never had to use Oneplus support for anything going all the way back to the first Oneplus One.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have quite a few returns with OnePlus because I keep changing my mind. The return process is easy and they do not charge restock fee you only have to pay for shipping

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, there was a problem with my OP6 USB port (charging was VERY intermittent, at-best), and I did a return, mostly because the "exchange" option was going to take 7-10 days, and I'd already "trickled down" my previous phone.

Not wanting to move back into the Win10 ecosystem at this point (the remaining phone around), for just a couple of weeks, I went ahead and did the return, and re-ordered (seems like most places have an "active swap" these days, where they charge your card, if you fail to return the old unit, once the new one is received, I fail to understand why OP doesn't have this...).

Anyway, I can't really say my return was "smooth", and in fact they lost track of my return, at their location, for almost 2 weeks (plus the shipping time, so almost 3, by the time they "found" it), and their CS basically had no idea, or really any reassurances, even though THEY HAD SIGNED FOR IT (or their US Acer-based return setup), so that was super-frustrating, and involved several long calls to CS.
By that point, I was VERY glad I hadn't done an exchange, as it would've been about 3.5-4 weeks, total, which is bordering on ridiculous, for a time-sensitive thing like a cell-phone, IMHO.

I'm sure you can find a lot of stories like this, about any cell company/OEM, if you dig around, but there do seem to be a large preponderance around OP, almost like it's "the norm".

I'm not sure I'll stick with them, moving forward, they still haven't fixed an auto-rotate bug, even though they said it was "in the branch" a few months back now, and I did get them full kernel traces, an exact repro, the whole bit. Their CS model is "odd", probably the best way I'd put it.
They have fixed several others, although one I had to actually "prompt" them, a couple of times, and show them where in the traces it was failing, to get them "back on track", for one network bug, that a LOT of people were seeing, that was "strange" to me too, coming from an engineering background.

If you're going to have a "super terrific" return policy posted, "no questions" and the whole bit, that's great and all, but, they should MAKE IT WORK, at least reasonably smoothly, if you ask me, or get rid of it.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I've actually been getting regular emails from Oneplus support about my return. I've never had to use Oneplus support for anything going all the way back to the first Oneplus One.

Any updates on your situation, OP?

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, @Morty2264, I'm wondering the same.
Did they have a terrific/fully-tracked and on-time return, or was it more like mine, or "somewhere in the middle", eh?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually it went fairly smooth without to much trouble. ONEPLUS was pretty good at keeping me updated via email on the return status. The entire process from start to refund took about 8 business days about 10 days total. I found a 5 month old Pixel 2 XL for a really good price and I am using that, and I have a Note 8 for a backup phone, first time in years purchasing a new phone from AT&T (the Note 8) and will be the last time I do that, the Note 8 value dropped like a rock, and the battery life on the Note 8 isn't that great, plus I found I rarely ever had use for the S Pen as I thought I would. Still owe more on it than it's worth so I'll keep it for a backup phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually it went fairly smooth without to much trouble. ONEPLUS was pretty good at keeping me updated via email on the return status. The entire process from start to refund took about 8 business days about 10 days total. I found a 5 month old Pixel 2 XL for a really good price and I am using that, and I have a Note 8 for a backup phone, first time in years purchasing a new phone from AT&T (the Note 8) and will be the last time I do that, the Note 8 value dropped like a rock, and the battery life on the Note 8 isn't that great, plus I found I rarely ever had use for the S Pen as I thought I would. Still owe more on it than it's worth so I'll keep it for a backup phone.

I'm so glad your return experience went smoothly! How are you enjoying your Pixel 2 XL?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, I just returned the op6t due to not being able to use it with a Verizon mvno. I had to follow up with CS as I didn't get any sought of response after I initiated the return. Return was authorized, and I had to pay for return shipping. But I can't update tracking info as their site doesn't allow me to select a courier, just a blank selection. So I'll have to keep track myself through my couriers web page. So far the return policy is no where near Google or Samsung.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just got an email from PayPal that OnePlus gave a full refund to my account. Not as smooth as others I've dealt with, but it worked out well in the end.