Oneplus One or Lumia 1520 ?

DREAMMYZ

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I am currently having a dilemma because I liked the interface of W8.1, the design of Lumia 1520 and the Office suite, but I also liked the fact that OPO has a slightly better processor than Lumia 1520 and its cheaper price.
Is it true that WP still lacks lots of apps ? Or is it actually suitable for daily practical usage too ?
Also, the fact that Oneplus One is the first phone to be developed by the company, will it have any issues in terms of customer support or hardware issue etc ?
I need some really sincere opinion about this problem !
*note : I am currently a Symbian user

Last edited:

pjs37

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I came from a 920 to a OnePlus One and I think while there is less apps then on android most of the ones you want have something. I would say look at what you use and see if there is something. One notable lacking area is Google apps. But I don't use many services from Google so it wasn't an issue for me.

As for the 1520 it's one of the best Windows devices out there but it just seemed too big to me. Mostly because of the sharp corners and the width. If you have any questions let me know.

Posted via the Android Central App

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I am currently having a dilemma because I liked the interface of W8.1, the design of Lumia 1520 and the Office suite, but I also liked the fact that OPO has a slightly better processor than Lumia 1520 and its cheaper price.
Is it true that WP still lacks lots of apps ? Or is it actually suitable for daily practical usage too ?
Also, the fact that Oneplus One is the first phone to be developed by the company, will it have any issues in terms of customer support or hardware issue etc ?
I need some really sincere opinion about this problem !

I think YOU need to do some research and decide. We can tell you about OPO. The support is slow but getting better. I don't have serious hardware issues but some people do. Touchscreen issues and what not. But I normal stay away from these types of threads because if YOU do enough research on both devices you'll have your pros and cons and know which is best for you. Threads like these come across as "which phone is better for me?" and you know the answer to that better than any of us do. A little research and you'll know which direction to go in. I have never used a windows phone but the family I have that owns them seems happy. You should maybe consider some YouTube videos. Google the 2 phones and look up owner reviews and you'll know all you need to know to make an informed decision.

Posted via...The One

DREAMMYZ

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I think YOU need to do some research and decide. We can tell you about OPO. The support is slow but getting better. I don't have serious hardware issues but some people do. Touchscreen issues and what not. But I normal stay away from these types of threads because if YOU do enough research on both devices you'll have your pros and cons and know which is best for you. Threads like these come across as "which phone is better for me?" and you know the answer to that better than any of us do. A little research and you'll know which direction to go in. I have never used a windows phone but the family I have that owns them seems happy. You should maybe consider some YouTube videos. Google the 2 phones and look up owner reviews and you'll know all you need to know to make an informed decision.

Posted via...The One
Will the new Android L OS release on current devices such as OPO ?

DREAMMYZ

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I came from a 920 to a OnePlus One and I think while there is less apps then on android most of the ones you want have something. I would say look at what you use and see if there is something. One notable lacking area is Google apps. But I don't use many services from Google so it wasn't an issue for me.

As for the 1520 it's one of the best Windows devices out there but it just seemed too big to me. Mostly because of the sharp corners and the width. If you have any questions let me know.

Posted via the Android Central App
I don't use Google apps too. Instead, I can say I don't really like to use them because they are forcing us to use it. (Youtube account etc)
Just wanna know, if you can like somehow feel "connected" with your other friends with android/iphone devices ? Example : they have Clash of Clans, while Windows phone doesn't have etc. Do situations like that happen often when you are using the 920 ?
Also is the OnePlus One suitable for you ?

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I am not happy at all with wp 8.1 i've said this once and will say it again... On wp when you're moving from one app to another it will have "resuming" animation and i dislike that very much.. It needs 2 - 4 seconds everytime my lumia did it. Ms please fix it!!

The app gap is noticeable vs android. I can't find a yahoo messenger on wp store..

But the wp is smooth though..

Sent from my phone with tapatalk

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Will the new Android L OS release on current devices such as OPO ?

Yes sir they will. You could go the official OTA route or root and custom ROM it. CM handles our software. I hate to use the word "promise" as I feel like those are reserved for children lol but they stated they would have the OTA ready within 3 months of Google releasing the final build of L. In addition they pledged support for software updates for 2 years after the release of the One. It'll get any updates the nexus line gets until May 2016 at least

Posted via...The One

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
In general I think you should give ANY android phone a shot if you've only used Windows phones. I don't want to assume you have, you may have already used android in the past. The OnePlus phone itself, nor the experience itself (invites, customer service, return process should you need to return it) is for everyone. Think about what's important to you in a phone, must haves like battery life, storage, size, etc. Maybe I can make some recommendations. If you want opinions, I'm very happy with my device. The display is beautiful. It's light, slim, plenty of storage and the battery is reliable. Very fast. Those are the pros. If I had to name some cons, once in a while the lock screen wallpaper is the theme and not mines, turn the screen back off and on and it corrects itself but it is weird. The phone volume could be a little higher imo. You may get a weird force close, for me about once a week. But I've had that happen on every android I've owned. No big deal for me but irritating none the less. I don't have touchscreen issues like some, but some say they do. For me the phone hits all the sweet spots

Posted via...The One

DREAMMYZ

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
In general I think you should give ANY android phone a shot if you've only used Windows phones. I don't want to assume you have, you may have already used android in the past. The OnePlus phone itself, nor the experience itself (invites, customer service, return process should you need to return it) is for everyone. Think about what's important to you in a phone, must haves like battery life, storage, size, etc. Maybe I can make some recommendations. If you want opinions, I'm very happy with my device. The display is beautiful. It's light, slim, plenty of storage and the battery is reliable. Very fast. Those are the pros. If I had to name some cons, once in a while the lock screen wallpaper is the theme and not mines, turn the screen back off and on and it corrects itself but it is weird. The phone volume could be a little higher imo. You may get a weird force close, for me about once a week. But I've had that happen on every android I've owned. No big deal for me but irritating none the less. I don't have touchscreen issues like some, but some say they do. For me the phone hits all the sweet spots

Posted via...The One
I am only using Symbian phone now. Although sometimes I will play around with my brother's Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
What I prefer for a phone is : smooth, beautiful design of the phone, battery life, storage, big screen.
What I like about android is the large amount of apps & popular games, while windows the smooth OS and special design of tiles.
But to be honest, I am still not entirely sure whether I should go for Windows phone or android :/
If you have some recommendation I'd like to hear about it.

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I am only using Symbian phone now. Although sometimes I will play around with my brother's Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
What I prefer for a phone is : smooth, beautiful design of the phone, battery life, storage, big screen.
What I like about android is the large amount of apps & popular games, while windows the smooth OS and special design of tiles.
But to be honest, I am still not entirely sure whether I should go for Windows phone or android :/
If you have some recommendation I'd like to hear about it.

What I'm focusing on in your post is:

"What I prefer for a phone is : smooth, beautiful design of the phone, battery life, storage, big screen.
What I like about android is the large amount of apps & popular games, while windows the smooth OS and special design of tiles" very smooth.

With that said the OPO is a recommendation. Feels great in the hand. Passes the bend test lol. Nice clear screen, plenty of pixels. Plenty of storage. Unless you need more than 64GB. Some other options are the LG G3 I guess. Galaxy note 4. I wouldn't recommend the moto x 2014. I'd recommend the moto G 2014 though. Check out that moto G

Posted via...The One

pjs37

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't use Google apps too. Instead, I can say I don't really like to use them because they are forcing us to use it. (Youtube account etc)
Just wanna know, if you can like somehow feel "connected" with your other friends with android/iphone devices ? Example : they have Clash of Clans, while Windows phone doesn't have etc. Do situations like that happen often when you are using the 920 ?
Also is the OnePlus One suitable for you ?

I never had that issue on Windows Phone but then I don't play many games really on my mobile devices. Its just a different system and most apps I needed to work with my friends on were available on Windows Phone.

As for OnePlus One I am enjoying it I like being able to do things like change my messaging app and encrypt my phone. I really wanted to try a 5.5" phone and WP had no equivelant. The OnePlus One I have been pleased with in terms of size. Battery life for me is excellent and I have been happy with it.

As others have stated its personal preference really each one has their own Plus and Minuses. You need to compare them and see how they line up with your demands.

For example for me I had this:
WP-Love Live Tiles, Updates readily available through DPP; Use MS services which are well integrated into the OS; Cortana is my friend; Hardware is solidly built; Driving Mode
Android-Multitasking Master; Many devices with many options; Many apps available; Android L adding many features I am going to wish I had

etc. I also get bored easily so I switch things up from time to time. Before WP I was using iPhone's. I like to think of myself as platform agnostic lol

DREAMMYZ

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What I'm focusing on in your post is:

"What I prefer for a phone is : smooth, beautiful design of the phone, battery life, storage, big screen.
What I like about android is the large amount of apps & popular games, while windows the smooth OS and special design of tiles" very smooth.

With that said the OPO is a recommendation. Feels great in the hand. Passes the bend test lol. Nice clear screen, plenty of pixels. Plenty of storage. Unless you need more than 64GB. Some other options are the LG G3 I guess. Galaxy note 4. I wouldn't recommend the moto x 2014. I'd recommend the moto G 2014 though. Check out that moto G

Posted via...The One

I never had that issue on Windows Phone but then I don't play many games really on my mobile devices. Its just a different system and most apps I needed to work with my friends on were available on Windows Phone.

As for OnePlus One I am enjoying it I like being able to do things like change my messaging app and encrypt my phone. I really wanted to try a 5.5" phone and WP had no equivelant. The OnePlus One I have been pleased with in terms of size. Battery life for me is excellent and I have been happy with it.

As others have stated its personal preference really each one has their own Plus and Minuses. You need to compare them and see how they line up with your demands.

For example for me I had this:
WP-Love Live Tiles, Updates readily available through DPP; Use MS services which are well integrated into the OS; Cortana is my friend; Hardware is solidly built; Driving Mode
Android-Multitasking Master; Many devices with many options; Many apps available; Android L adding many features I am going to wish I had

etc. I also get bored easily so I switch things up from time to time. Before WP I was using iPhone's. I like to think of myself as platform agnostic lol
If I am to get a OnePlus One, is it ok to get one with China version and preinstalled (flashed ?) with CM11 ?
Because my local reseller only sells this version.

pjs37

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
1. You won’t have warranty. If your phone was intended to be used in the Chinese market, you still have a one-year warranty, but only in China. Only the global versions are covered by the international warranty. Your attempt to communicate with scalpers could be ignored, and even if they do agree to take back your phone, you’ll face significant delays due to shipping and customs.

2. Incompatible LTE bands outside of China. The Chinese version of the One is prepared to work on China Mobile, which uses TD-SCDMA/TD-LTE technology that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. Additionally, the Chinese version lacks WCDMA band 4 and LTE bands 4 and 17. So depending on your carrier, connectivity will be limited.

3. Risk of bricking your phone. While you can install CynanogenMod yourself, flashing through fastboot mode is not for everyone and requires installing specific software and writing code in your command terminal. If you brick your Chinese One, please refer to point 1.

4. You pay more. The scalpers charge a higher price outright. Including shipping and customs duties, expect the price to exceed $400. This goes against our philosophy of creating an amazing product with a price that can disrupt. Help us create an efficient market by not rewarding the scalpers.

5. Miss out on the OnePlus experience. Since the beginning, our goal was to fuse superior product with unparalleled customer experience. By buying from a scalper, you are missing out on dedicated services available only for OnePlus Global users.

I grabbed that from the Official OnePlus forum just as an FYI. I know people have done it without issue but take it for what you will.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If I am to get a OnePlus One, is it ok to get one with China version and preinstalled (flashed ?) with CM11 ?
Because my local reseller only sells this version.
Where are you located? You won't get LTE with it, and who knows what else. Invites appear here pretty regularly, why not just get an invite?