New guy with a question...

fstmstngs

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't getting an answer in the BB ROM thread,so I thought I'd ask here. I went through the whole process of installing BB on my V, but missed the step where you restore everything from titanium backup except for system files. I think my backed up system files may be interfering with things. How do I go about reinstalling the ROM? Will I lose all info on my V again? Do I do another backup via RECOVERY? Is the original backup done in recovery the only time I need to do it? Like a failsafe if everything goes bad? As is, I have it backed up on a seperate sdcard than the one I use for Apps/music/pics.

Tacular Z

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't getting an answer in the BB ROM thread,so I thought I'd ask here. I went through the whole process of installing BB on my V, but missed the step where you restore everything from titanium backup except for system files. I think my backed up system files may be interfering with things. How do I go about reinstalling the ROM? Will I lose all info on my V again? Do I do another backup via RECOVERY? Is the original backup done in recovery the only time I need to do it? Like a failsafe if everything goes bad? As is, I have it backed up on a seperate sdcard than the one I use for Apps/music/pics.

When you installed the ROM did you do a factory reset, clear the cache, and wipe the Dalvik-cache? If you did your system should be okay. To re-install the ROM simply follow the steps you did to originally flash it. I don't think you'll lose info, I didn't when I went from BB to CM7. Yes, do a backup via recovery, go to "Backup/Restore", then hit "Nand backup." No, I would do another backup just in case. I hope that answers your question's. :)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
your contacts and stuff are saved to your google account.

best method for flashing a rom, is to wipe everthing (follow directions exactly) and boot into the rom, sign into google account and let it sync your contacts and other stuff.

then go to the market and re download all the apps you normally use.

saves you exactly this hassle, its sligtly more work, but you get a more stable rom than saving backed up apps from a different rom.

fstmstngs

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I did do the factory restore before wiping everything, doing a NAND backup, and installing the ROM. The step that I messed up on is listed below:

"9. Restore apps with Titanium Backup (not necessary if upgrading, all apps should remain). Do not restore system settings, wifi settings, or anything else except user-installed apps and their data. If you have any issues after restoring apps, launchers and possibly other root or system-related apps may need to be uninstalled and re-installed."

I forgot and restored the system files also... There are some quarky things happening and I'm hoping that reinstalling the ROM will fix the problem. I know it sounds silly, but I was hoping someone here could lay it out in layman's terms. I really appreciate all you guys! I'm coming from a Blackberry Tour on Sprint and have absolutely fallen in love with my V and Android OS!!

Thanks!

Mike

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes the problem was restoring the system apps. I have found through many flashes, if you're going from one 2.2 rom to another you can restore all your apps and data. The same wth switching between the various 2.3 roms. However, if you are switching between 2.2 and 2.3 it is a good idea to redownload your apps. For some reason they don't play well together. Restoring the system settings will usually break one thing or another.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Good advise.
You can restore apps via Titanium Backup just dont restore the system data.
Apps + data is fine as it will keep your progress in games and setting in things like gosms and other apps with custom settings. Even going from froyo to gingerbread will be fine as long as its just the apps+data.

Generally speaking I never really back up system data as it tends to be wonky with nightly builds or even "stable" builds.

Now as said just reinstall the rom like it was the first time. Then when you do a backup from titanium dont restore system files. You should be golden then.

@watskyhotsky that is all good but it would keep setting like what stage in angry birds you finished last. It also will not reinstall apps you didnt get from android market (IE: Amazon apps, apps from xda and from here. also it wont restore theme apks for cm7 roms.). I installed backside today and it started to do a resync and install of all my apps. I had like 15 refused to download because they were gotten from amazon or xda and here. If your a update nazi like me then back via TB should have the most current version unless it came out in the 30-60 minutes the phone was offline while flashing and getting it all back the way you wanted.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
@watskyhotsky that is all good but it would keep setting like what stage in angry birds you finished last. It also will not reinstall apps you didnt get from android market (IE: Amazon apps, apps from xda and from here. also it wont restore theme apks for cm7 roms.). I installed backside today and it started to do a resync and install of all my apps. I had like 15 refused to download because they were gotten from amazon or xda and here. If your a update nazi like me then back via TB should have the most current version unless it came out in the 30-60 minutes the phone was offline while flashing and getting it all back the way you wanted.

true, true.

I usually keep all the APKs in one folder on my SD card or laptop and re install them with a file manager.

the only games I play are emulators which save progress to the sd card as files that can be read again when the app is restored to a new rom.

but I guess TB makes all this a one step process rather than installing apps from different sources again. as long as you dont restore the system files from the old ROM and not switching from 2.2 to 2.3.4 then shouldnt be an issue