[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

mustafu

Simply Winning
Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Download flash_image.zip, extract it, & copy it to /sdcard/flash_image.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bx14hzq5i2pq3ps

Download CWM 3.2.0.1, or if you can find another version somewhere (avoid CWM 3.2.0). Copy the .img file to /sdcard/recovery.img
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.2.0.1-thunderc.img

Then through 'adb shell' or a terminal:

# su
# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mount -o ro, remount /dev/block/mtdblock5
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

These commands don't work. I get a response that says mount: usage and tells me the syntax for the command. Is there anything else I can try? I used fastboot to root and I have perm root.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
These commands don't work. I get a response that says mount: usage and tells me the syntax for the command. Is there anything else I can try? I used fastboot to root and I have perm root.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Try copying the chunk of code to wordpad and increase the font to make sure you're typing all the characters correctly. Or you could add '/system' at the end to see if that makes a difference.

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

Kidflash255

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
will this method work for an LG optimis t phone. I'm a noon and each time I try this I factory reset my phone. I have flash_image and it was extracted to a folder flash_image. I also have my recovery thunderc but am I supposed to extract the thunderc recovery file to my SD card root? also, can i use clockworkmod instead of the thunderc recovery file I have?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
will this method work for an LG optimis t phone. I'm a noon and each time I try this I factory reset my phone. I have flash_image and it was extracted to a folder flash_image. I also have my recovery thunderc but am I supposed to extract the thunderc recovery file to my SD card root? also, can i use clockworkmod instead of the thunderc recovery file I have?

Gingerbreak is a generic rooting method, you could try it on the Optimus T, but not sure if it'll work (you'd have to try it multiple times, just like on the Optimus V). Once rooted, then flash_image should work, and flashing a clockworkmod recovery should also (assuming it's supported on the Optimus V, you'd have to search for that info).

nineinchneil

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had an issue with Swype completely vanishing after completing installation? I don't seem to have that functionality on my Optimus V anymore.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Swype is something built-in to the stock ROM by Virgin Mobile. Custom ROMs don't include it, you'll have to go with a different keyboard or find a way to get a copy installed onto that ROM.

nineinchneil

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Swype is something built-in to the stock ROM by Virgin Mobile. Custom ROMs don't include it, you'll have to go with a different keyboard or find a way to get a copy installed onto that ROM.

Learn something new everyday! :D Thanks guys, and thank you Whyzor for this guide. My phone's running like a dream!

K0RYL33

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I got 'su' on my phone and rom manager with clockwork. I went to install Harmonia, it turns on, does the lg logo anf then has Harmonia writen in green, but wont go past that. i cant get it to boot to recovery and im using ubuntu.

i didnt see "Only Harmonia ROM requires Xionia recovery" untill after I ( think) flashed harmonia.

Did i just brick my OV after having it for less then 3 days?

jdept

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I want to say this is the best How-To I have came across yet. There's too many out there, but the fact that it applies to my VM LG Optimus V was a big clarifier on how to get the ball rolling. I ended up using your guide and using backside IHO. So far everything works. Just I really don't like how small the keyboard is and my battery life sucks. I didn't install the greenmachine theme. Is it good, is there anything else I can do to better my battery life and improve the keyboard. I do like the fact that I can choose where to place my cursor before I begin to type ...Grrreatt for deleting. This was my first root and flash!!!

A couple of questions:

I mainly did this to improve battery life and to use VOIP settings, but another feature which is interesting is it has it's own internet tethering feature. I use PDANet and was wondering if the benefits of using PDANet are greater than using the built-in tethering feature? I believe PDANet uses proxies for anonymity and so VM and other carriers can't monitor your bandwidth? Is this correct? This would be the reason to still use PDANet if it's true, no? O:)

Also I hooked up my GVoice to do the VOIP and was wondering if there's a way I can configure access to both my GVoice voicemail and VM voicemail. As of right now my call settings uses my GVoice voicemail which I believe forwards my VM voicemail, but I am not sure? Just completed this less than 24hrs ago.

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I got 'su' on my phone and rom manager with clockwork. I went to install Harmonia, it turns on, does the lg logo anf then has Harmonia writen in green, but wont go past that. i cant get it to boot to recovery and im using ubuntu.

i didnt see "Only Harmonia ROM requires Xionia recovery" untill after I ( think) flashed harmonia.

Did i just brick my OV after having it for less then 3 days?

I believe the latest 1.5E+ Harmonia works with CWM recovery too, so you may just have to boot into recovery (vol-down, home, & power), then reflash IHO or Harmonia ROM again, but be sure to wipe everything.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to say this is the best How-To I have came across yet. There's too many out there, but the fact that it applies to my VM LG Optimus V was a big clarifier on how to get the ball rolling. I ended up using your guide and using backside IHO. So far everything works. Just I really don't like how small the keyboard is and my battery life sucks. I didn't install the greenmachine theme. Is it good, is there anything else I can do to better my battery life and improve the keyboard. I do like the fact that I can choose where to place my cursor before I begin to type ...Grrreatt for deleting. This was my first root and flash!!!

A couple of questions:

I mainly did this to improve battery life and to use VOIP settings, but another feature which is interesting is it has it's own internet tethering feature. I use PDANet and was wondering if the benefits of using PDANet are greater than using the built-in tethering feature? I believe PDANet uses proxies for anonymity and so VM and other carriers can't monitor your bandwidth? Is this correct? This would be the reason to still use PDANet if it's true, no? O:)

Also I hooked up my GVoice to do the VOIP and was wondering if there's a way I can configure access to both my GVoice voicemail and VM voicemail. As of right now my call settings uses my GVoice voicemail which I believe forwards my VM voicemail, but I am not sure? Just completed this less than 24hrs ago.

I get very good battery life on the IHO ROM (up to 7 days with little use), if anything it may be due to an app that you installed that's draining it in the background. Use BetterBatteryStats to find out what's causing it. Look in apps -> running services, & uninstall apps that you think could be causing the problem, reinstall 1 by 1 to narrow it down.

As for tethering, I just use the built-in tethering. VM will have throttling after 2.5GB in october anyway, doesn't matter if it's from the phone's use or tethered (throttled speed is 200kbps, which is not too bad compared to the current speeds most people get without throttling).

I use the GV app to check my GV voicemail, and hold 1 in the dialer to dial my VM voicemail (sometimes GV doesn't catch it and sends the caller to Virgin's voicemail). Just use the same greeting so it sounds the same to the caller. But I don't think there's a way to setup Virgin's voicemail to forward to GV's voicemail.

jdept

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I think I'll keep my VM voicemail setting and will just give my GV number primarily to friends and family. GVoice will txt me anyways when there's new voicemails.

First 5 hours of use with IHO and the battery was dead, but yeah I have installed a bunch of apps. It does turn the screen off in a sec after I am done though. I will look into the stats and see what's running that doesn't has to be.

~J

Last edited:

K0RYL33

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe the latest 1.5E+ Harmonia works with CWM recovery too, so you may just have to boot into recovery (vol-down, home, & power), then reflash IHO or Harmonia ROM again, but be sure to wipe everything.

i tryed booting into recovery like you said, and im geting a blank screen. what do i do now? im going to see about doing an exchange at best buy tomorro, its been 6 days, i belive your aloud 14, and my buddy should be working tomorro.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty