Planning on buying a LG Optimus V, and rooting it ...w

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
ok..i have another question... are there recommended ROMs? or or choosing a ROM depends by taste and desire? also what is CM7.1?

Choosing a rom is kinda like choosing your favorite shoes. The best advise that can be given is test each one and see if you like the features.What is so awesome about these roms is they are FREE! So you can test each one of them and not go broke, unlike trying shoes out.

Reactions: bdieu17

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have found that although Xionia recovery works great with Froyo ROM's, It doesn't do a complete and thorough wipe for the new CM7-IHO (Gingerbread)ROM's. ClockWorkMod 3.2.0.1 is the best for these ROM's. Also ROM Manager has ben the source for more recovery loops on the "V" than probably any other single source. I only use it to delete unwanted backups without having to go into recovery. With that being said: Your first concern is probably app space. Harmonia 1.3 is the best bar none. If you are a gamer then Bumblebee 2.4 ,which can be overclocked sometimes in the low to mid 800Hz range,would be a good choice(these are Froyo based ROM's and are still getting updates). Gingerbread ROM's are a little more complicated because there some many good ones now that the best you can do is pick one with all the major items working and that is getting updated regularly(little bug fixes).I just happen to know of one that meets all the above mentioned requirements. That would be the one I'm currently running which can be found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...inferior-human-organs-unofficial-cm7-1-a.html Hope this has helped.

bdieu17

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I have found that although Xionia recovery works great with Froyo ROM's, It doesn't do a complete and thorough wipe for the new CM7-IHO (Gingerbread)ROM's. ClockWorkMod 3.2.0.1 is the best for these ROM's. Also ROM Manager has ben the source for more recovery loops on the "V" than probably any other single source. I only use it to delete unwanted backups without having to go into recovery. With that being said: Your first concern is probably app space. Harmonia 1.3 is the best bar none. If you are a gamer then Bumblebee 2.4 ,which can be overclocked sometimes in the low to mid 800Hz range,would be a good choice(these are Froyo based ROM's and are still getting updates). Gingerbread ROM's are a little more complicated because there some many good ones now that the best you can do is pick one with all the major items working and that is getting updated regularly(little bug fixes).I just happen to know of one that meets all the above mentioned requirements. That would be the one I'm currently running which can be found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...inferior-human-organs-unofficial-cm7-1-a.html Hope this has helped.
Thanks man:D that's the response i was looking for

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Bumblebee if you want to keep the stock feel but improve battery life.
Ath3nos if you want a newer rom with aloft of tweaks.
IHObackside if you want the newest with the most tweaks but some bugs. And you will be flashing weekly builds if u go backside

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
CM7.1 is Gingerbread based, CyanogenMod adds nice features to the stock Gingerbread 2.3.5 ROM. IHO IMO (ta da!) is the best right now. All ROMs have bugs (including Froyo-based), IHO has the least among Gingerbread ROMs, and most are only minor.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
CM7.1 is Gingerbread based, CyanogenMod adds nice features to the stock Gingerbread 2.3.5 ROM. IHO IMO (ta da!) is the best right now. All ROMs have bugs (including Froyo-based), IHO has the least among Gingerbread ROMs, and most are only minor.

I am sorry this is a little misleading here. Froyo based ROM's have far less bugs compared to IHO. I am using Harmonia right now and it has absolutely no bugs that I can see. One should flash the IHO ROM only if they are ready to update the ROM on weekly basis until the bugs are cleaned up. I have never had any WiFi problem, corrupted screen problems, etc. that are discussed on the IHO thread on my phone.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry this is a little misleading here. Froyo based ROM's have far less bugs compared to IHO. I am using Harmonia right now and it has absolutely no bugs that I can see. One should flash the IHO ROM only if they are ready to update the ROM on weekly basis until the bugs are cleaned up. I have never had any WiFi problem, corrupted screen problems, etc. that are discussed on the IHO thread on my phone.

I also haven't had any wifi problems, FCs, corrupted screens or any of the problems on IHO. A lot of that could be due to improper wiping before flashing, or something else the user decided to add (such as app2sd). If I wasn't following the thread & reported issues, I would say the IHO CM7.1 ROM has zero problems for me too.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com

If Harmonia is based on the stock LG stuff I can think of a few bugs that drove me insane and likely aren't fixed. But they're edge cases. That said, I've not had problems with any of the apps mentioned, and neither Jerry nor I can reproduce the WiFi problems. That said, IHO will also flat out do more (USB tethering comes to mind).

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If Harmonia is based on the stock LG stuff I can think of a few bugs that drove me insane and likely aren't fixed. But they're edge cases. That said, I've not had problems with any of the apps mentioned, and neither Jerry nor I can reproduce the WiFi problems. That said, IHO will also flat out do more (USB tethering comes to mind).

This is pretty strong endorsement. I was watching the CM7.1 thread on the fence. I will jump in then. Thanks.

blarf

Jul 8, 2011
github.com
This is pretty strong endorsement. I was watching the CM7.1 thread on the fence. I will jump in then. Thanks.

Well I'm a bit biased because I'm the one doing the coding, but yeah I don't have most of the really annoying problems. My stance is that if you use CWM recovery, do a full 'factory wipe' from CWM, and then install one of Jerry's builds you should be fine.

There are likely some games that are going to perform better with Drew's XioniaRedux kernel and that's something I'll look into (as LG switched to a different driver for some of the Sprint kernels). Likewise there are a number of known problems (GPS, accelerometer) some of which you'll see with all CM7 ROMs for these phones (like the accelerometer getting sluggish after a day or so) and some of which are specific to IHO and IHO based builds (like the hoops you get to jump through to get data2ext working). IHO /is/ based off of the unstable CM source, but as CM gets closer to final 7.1 release, things will definitely get ironed out.

I'll put it this way: Facebook works as well as it ever would (which is to say it's a **** app in the first place), Angry Birds works as well on my IHO build as it did on aospCMod for me, Zenonia 3 works for me without crashing, USB tethering works, my WiFi stays connected, I can send/recv MMS just fine.

That said, I use this daily. It works well for me, but I'm definitely trying to nail down some of the little things many of which I can only seemingly attribute to partial wipes ? some versions of Xionia recovery definitely have issues with incomplete wipes... but I'm also seeing people who switch back and forth between all sorts of ROMs on a regular basis and trying to restore vs reinstall coming up with most of the weird problems. Starting from a clean slate is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again, blarf. I will try and post in the IHO thread. First I need to fiind out how to restore my applications in the second sd partition and if I can keep using link2sd. This is fun :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty