Since everyone is ignoring the older thread...

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having the problem that the gentlemen a few threads down had but can't figure out how to fix it please give me some instruction if you guys have time.

Phone had problems, they mailed me a new one, it has 2.2.2 on it instead of 2.2.1. So the regular method did not work with spk so i ended up doing the download from 4share way and got the phone rooted. Rom manager will flash a recovery but when you reboot into recovery it is just a glowing black screen. I have to remove the battery and put it back in to get back into the phone.

If someone has time please tell me how to get the recovery to boot right. Thank you.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Stop using ROM Manager.

Put the recovery you want to flash on your sdcard, download Terminal Emulator from the market, open it and type in:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/NAME-OF-RECOVERY.img
reboot recovery

This will install your recovery and boot you into it in about 30 seconds. ;)

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I am having the problem that the gentlemen a few threads down had but can't figure out how to fix it please give me some instruction if you guys have time.

Phone had problems, they mailed me a new one, it has 2.2.2 on it instead of 2.2.1. So the regular method did not work with spk so i ended up doing the download from 4share way and got the phone rooted. Rom manager will flash a recovery but when you reboot into recovery it is just a glowing black screen. I have to remove the battery and put it back in to get back into the phone.

If someone has time please tell me how to get the recovery to boot right. Thank you.

your "new" phone is probably refurbished with the newer sprint touchscreen which requires VD baseband drivers. no custom kernels built from LG V source, including the ones in CWMA recoveries, have those drivers, except for Xionia kernels, like Drew's Xionia Redux in the optimus S section.
an easy way to see if this is so, is to boot into recovery and test adb shell. If you get a shell prompt with ADB, the recovery is running fine, you just can't see it.

you can try the CWMA recovery I patched with a Xionia kernel for someone else with the same problem, or you can just use zefie's Xionia recovery.
see <here> for the modded CWMA, and the last person's problems I saw with this.
you'll have to search the forum for xionia recovery if you want that one instead.
you'll need fastboot (or to use [ADB or terminal emulator] and flash_image like Jerry said in the above post) to put the modded CWMA or Xionia recovery on your phone, now that you've got no display driver in your installed recovery.
if either of those recoveries fixes your issue, you're SOL as far as custom kernels go for custom ROMS, you'll have to use a Xionia Anykernel zip or a newer Sprint-based kernel with those drivers, to get a display with any current custom ROM. Xionia kernels are nice because Zefie designed em to work with Froyo OR Gingerbread, lucky for those of you getting refurbs.

If this is actually the problem someone is going to have to sticky the Xionia kernel solution for refurbished phones with the newer screens, since the problem is coming up more often now (thanks a lot, VM, for using hardware which isn't backwards-compatible, and thanks too to LG for not including the display drivers in the V kernel source code!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eollie

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Still a little confused. I have xonia or whatever do i put the zip or the image on the sd card, and it appears flash_image is not recognized in terminal. However super user privlages was allowed on the terminal.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Still a little confused. I have xonia or whatever do i put the zip or the image on the sd card, and it appears flash_image is not recognized in terminal. However super user privlages was allowed on the terminal.

I spoke too soon.

Using a file manager check the root of your sdcard for a file named flash_image.
If that is there then follow squids instruction in the thread he linked. It sounds like your having the same issue as the poster there.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have uploaded flash_image for you
flash_image
put it, and your recovery .img, on the root of your sdcard, and try this in terminal emulator or adb shell:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
reboot recovery
good luck!

let us know if this works. if it does, I'm going to put a short how-to thread up for this issue, and perhaps it'll get stickied; or maybe someone'll beat me to it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
cp not found means busybox isn't fully symlinked in.
modified code:
Code:
su
busybox cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
busybox chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
reboot recovery

if it says busybox not found then you'll need to download and install it too. hopefully not.

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This gingerbreak must really suck , now i got "busybox not found" but i am rooted if only temporarily and have su access. Next? I assume i have to push busybox and would need instructions. heh.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
try this instead. oldest method I know of.
Code:
su
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
reboot recovery

Reactions: SecularSanity

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
You are a wizard sir i see lights! :) So can i install custom mods now or did you say they would probably be blacked out? Again thanks for the help on getting recovery to show up!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You are a wizard sir i see lights! :) So can i install custom mods now or did you say they would probably be blacked out? Again thanks for the help on getting recovery to show up!

in the post I linked to is another link to Drew's Xionia Redux kernel.
it's the newest out which has the display drivers you need included, but it's made for the optimus S, so you'll also need the key switch zip linked in that post or suffer with switched home and menu keys. It (I think) should work with any ROM currently out there for the V. You need the AnyKernel zip version of the Xionia Redux. Flash it in recovery just after flashing a new ROM, then the key switch zip. Flash those both in that order, EVERY time right after you flash a new ROM, before rebooting out of recovery. It'll be the only kernel you can use until someone hacks those drivers into another kernel.

I'll put up an info post for other poor souls who get those stupid refurbs.

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Alright so to make this clearer as an example to flash harmonia ...

get harmonia, get anykernel, get switch, get was there a fourth thing? Then flash them all in that order... can i still flash the custom top bar for harmonia too [black]? heh ...

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually i'm a bit confused but if you are going to put together a custom order of operations for flashing roms with these refurbs i will wait til you finish typing it up i again am patient and rather do it right and not make you keep retyping things. Really appreciate all your help.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Alright so to make this clearer as an example to flash harmonia ...

get harmonia, get anykernel, get switch, get was there a fourth thing? Then flash them all in that order... can i still flash the custom top bar for harmonia too [black]? heh ...

get your rom, get the xionia anykernel and the keyswap.zip
boot into recovery
format data, cache, dalvik-cache, system, and boot
flash the rom
flash xionia anykernel
flash keyswap

you'll only need to flash the kernel and keyswitch after flashing a whole ROM. ROMs include their own kernel, you're overriding that by flashing the anykernel zip.

you can flash add-ons or other mods in recovery without messing with the kernel. You'll only need to replace the kernel after flashing a ROM.

Reactions: SecularSanity

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Can't thank you enough installed perfectly. If i had just meandered through the recovery fix i probably would have tried to install a rom without the kernel fixes. Everything is running smoothly. Going to readd the maps as i need navigation, and add the toolbar. Your help was amazing.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty