Is there a way to edit the Carrier name in notification bar?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting to edit the Carrier text in the notification pull down bar (shown Virgin Mobile in the screen shot) to my own custom text. Is there an. apk app to edit/tweak this?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
haha gsrrr beat me to it.

but I've tried it and it works. Easiest way is editing the build.prop file.

I actually found the build.prop file under /system/build.prop, i used Root Explorer, mounted as R/W, and long pressed on it, opened in text editor, and located ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin_Mobile. I edited the Virgin Mobile part to my name, saved, and it didn't change it. Do i have to reboot or something for it to show up?

cotylee1991

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
yep. If you want to see it in action, check in the Harmonious Bumblebee thread. I posted a screen shot of my mod that I added this to

I didn't go thru the whole process of changing my carrier name on the PC via editing the framework resources file or. XML file then replacing it, i simply edited the build.prop file under /system/build.prop with Root Explorer's text editor and changed the cdma line with 'Virgin_Mobile' to my name, saved the file, and just rebooted, it didn't change it, it still says Virgin Mobile on the pull down :(
I read i can directly edit the build.prop file and it'll work if the ROM is froyo, is that why it didn't change? Because I'm using the MiRaGe CyanogenMod 7 2.3.7 armv6...is that why it didn't work? Sorry, I'm a noob at editing the carrier label lol

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go thru the whole process of changing my carrier name on the PC via editing the framework resources file or. XML file then replacing it, i simply edited the build.prop file under /system/build.prop with Root Explorer's text editor and changed the cdma line with 'Virgin_Mobile' to my name, saved the file, and just rebooted, it didn't change it, it still says Virgin Mobile on the pull down :(
I read i can directly edit the build.prop file and it'll work if the ROM is froyo, is that why it didn't change? Because I'm using the MiRaGe CyanogenMod 7 2.3.7 armv6...is that why it didn't work? Sorry, I'm a noob at editing the carrier label lol

I've tried that and it didn't work, probably because the file is open.

Your best bet is to either edit the file inside the zip before you flash it, or using ADB to push the file while the phone is in recovery

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

This is the first thing I do after I download a new ROM. This will replace "Virgin Mobile" on your notification drop-down and the lock-screen.

APK-Manager is a really handy tool once you learn the ins and outs...

EDIT: If you are using a flash-able theme, you may need to modify the Framework-res.apk of the [theme] zip instead of the [ROM].zip

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm wanting to edit the Carrier text in the notification pull down bar (shown Virgin Mobile in the screen shot) to my own custom text. Is there an. apk app to edit/tweak this?

[URL=http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8721/screenshot1319612484628.png]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

i dont know where i learned this but i do it every time i flash iho rom...thanks to where its due

hex editor is your friend here .... just open say the iho rom of your choice and get the framework-res.apk. and rename the end to framework-res.apk.zip and navigate to 'res' folder..then 'xml' ..and open the 'eri' file with hex editor.., then scroll down and find where it says virgin mobile and highlight the text from left to right. edit away, get creative and enjoy. save it. put the file back in res.. xml.. then systemUI ... remove the zip we added and place the zip back into the rom where it belongs.

couple of tips..

try to not over edit. "virgin mobile " thats 12 characters so try to edit those 12 and keep it below those 12. ie. i have 'LG OPTIMUS CM7" .. you can remove letters with space and make it shorter by replacing a letter with a space. like "Michael " or w/e
:

always edit the xml file every time you update your rom.. dont use the same edited xml file on a new release...l can also make a flashable zip with your words of choosing if you cant figure it out..

hace fun! any questions? ask away!

Last edited:

RyanJKremer

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
i dont know where i learned this but i do it every time i flash iho rom...thanks to where its due

try to not over edit. "virgin mobile " thats 12 characters so try to edit those 12 and keep it below those 12. ie. i have 'LG OPTIMUS CM7" .. you can remove letters with space and make it shorter by replacing a letter with a space. like "Michael " or w/e
:

If you use the APK-Manager method (option two in Jerry's write-up - linked in post #2), you can have more than the 12 characters. I set mine up to say "Inferior Human Organs CM7.1" and have even used more characters than that! Have fun with it!

Reactions: notown

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty