[Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Patch] Virgin Mobile VM9 Radio Update - Restored!

mrg, can you specify specifically which files you were flashing? the full update.zip each time? or the ones LeslieAnn posted?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

mrg, can you specify specifically which files you were flashing? the full update.zip each time? or the ones LeslieAnn posted?

Do a nandroid first before doing anything.
After the nandroid, full update two times. First from IHO recovery, second from stock recovery.
After this, Gordita root and restore the nandroid finally.

Plan ahead and prepare the files required for Gordita root before starting.

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Do a nandroid first before doing anything.
After the nandroid, full update two times. First from IHO recovery, second from stock recovery.
After this, Gordita root and restore the nandroid finally.

Plan ahead and prepare the files required for Gordita root before starting.

This is the procedure I had to do to get the radio update. I used cdma workshop to verify my version of ZV5 and tried flashing Leslie's patch a couple times using BobZ and Xionia recoveries with no change to version noted in CDMA Workshop. Tried to flash full update once with same result. Finally flashed full update twice and it is now showing ZV9 in CDMA workshop

The build_id file is also showing the updated ZV9 radio

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

This is the procedure I had to do to get the radio update. I used cdma workshop to verify my version of ZV5 and tried flashing Leslie's patch a couple times using BobZ and Xionia recoveries with no change to version noted in CDMA Workshop. Tried to flash full update once with same result. Finally flashed full update twice and it is now showing ZV9 in CDMA workshop

The build_id file is also showing the updated ZV9 radio

I have also seen that the first flash from IHO recovery does not change the radio baseband, the second flash from the stock recovery flashes the radio image as well.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried to flash the radio right after vm released the update using my own zip (which was the same as the one posted here), noticed no difference.

Today, after checking the file Jerry mentioned and noticing it still said zv5, I did pretty much the same thing mrg666 did. And now I get an extra bar of signal at home! And its reported as zv9.
I'm assuming the iho recovery ignores the radio update, while cwmt somehow bricks instead.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I tried to flash the radio right after vm released the update using my own zip (which was the same as the one posted here), noticed no difference.

Today, after checking the file Jerry mentioned and noticing it still said zv5, I did pretty much the same thing mrg666 did. And now I get an extra bar of signal at home! And its reported as zv9.
I'm assuming the iho recovery ignores the radio update, while cwmt somehow bricks instead.

Xionia fails as well.

Reactions: JerryScript

kwknott

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

I noticed when flashing the update via stock recovery that after flashing the update and selecting reboot a message comes up briefly about flashing radio image. This message didn't appear on any other recovery. Not sure if this means anything but just an observation

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I noticed when flashing the update via stock recovery that after flashing the update and selecting reboot a message comes up briefly about flashing radio image. This message didn't appear on any other recovery. Not sure if this means anything but just an observation

That was my observation as well.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

sonicphobia

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

This made a big improvement in my 3G speeds. But to be fair, I was getting terrible speeds before. Around 130-150kbps and now I just ran speedtest and got 296kbps down and 255kbps up. So that roughly doubled for me. But I also hit the 2.5gb cap over a week ago. Only takes me a day or two. Thanks everyone of you people for all you do.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

So can I just flash the old recovery, flash the radio update, and then reboot and flash back my old recovery?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Not at this time, the old recovery is installed from the boot.img included in the update. I'll see if it can be pulled, till then, you'll need to do a nandroid backup, flash the update once, reboot, then flash it again from the stock installation, then Gordita Root, then restore your nandroid backup.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So can I just flash the old recovery, flash the radio update, and then reboot and flash back my old recovery?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand the question.. You want to flash stock recovery flash leslies zip then Flash iho recovery back?

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the question.. You want to flash stock recovery flash leslies zip then Flash iho recovery back?

Yeah, that was option (2) of the four I listed the other day - requiring LeslieAnn's radio update to be renamed to update.zip.

I was considering this, but I am now resigned to doing the whole shebang (twice) and re-root.

I am thinking VMU did something to the recovery included in the update.zip to allow that radio flash - that's why it only flashes after the update has competed, upon reboot.

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I have also seen that.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I saw that message on the donor phone when I originally flashed the security update to it. Not positive, but almost. ;)

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that was option (2) of the four I listed the other day - requiring LeslieAnn's radio update to be renamed to update.zip.

I was considering this, but I am now resigned to doing the whole shebang (twice) and re-root.

I am thinking VMU did something to the recovery included in the update.zip to allow that radio flash - that's why it only flashes after the update has competed, upon reboot.

I just don't know if renaming it to update.zip would be enough to make it work on stock recovery... I'm thinking not or the easiest root ever would be to rename a custom rom and flash it on stock recovery

Reactions: Dannemand

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I can definately confirm seeing that "flashing radio" message. I actually had to flash the update several times beacuse it kept getting stuck in a bootloop after rebooting from the stock recovery, and it told me it flashed the radio each time.

And if you're having the same issue I did (bootloops), the update flashed correctly after I wiped completely in stock recovery about 5 or 6 times in quick sucession.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just don't know if renaming it to update.zip would be enough to make it work on stock recovery... I'm thinking not or the easiest root ever would be to rename a custom rom and flash it on stock recovery

That too. Plus, as I said, I'm thinking maybe it needs the new stock recovery in order to properly flash the radio. That's why I'm resigned to doing the whole shebang.

Edit: regarding renaming LeslieAnn's radio update and flashing it with the old stock recovery: we're only talking about renaming it back to what is was called originally (update.zip). Still, that's not what I'll be doing - though I'd be curious to hear from anyone who did.

Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I just updated my wife's phone and I can also confirm that message. She wishes to remain stock. I plan to install update and reroot tonight.

sonicphobia

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

I tried using the BACKside Updater utility to flash back the original stock recovery image. I then renamed the OP's zip to "update.zip" and tried to install it. But it errors out with an invalid signature. And as this is the stock recovery, I can't easily disable that. If anyone was wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.