[Q] int.d 03firstboot

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with int.d scripts and accidently deleted the 03firstboot file. I was wondering what scripting was involved in it on an IHO build.

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jerry. So I found the right scripting for it then. But I guess, from that info you provided, that after you boot into the rom for the first time, the file is no longer needed?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
That's right. It's used primarily on devices that require proprietary apps, and in such cases will install the apps during firstboot. Some even use secondboot, thirdboot, and even fourthboot scripts for advanced installation requirements (I believe they set a persist.sys.PROP to keep track of boots). On the OV, we only need proprietary libs and binaries, so we don't make use of the firstboot scripts.

There are tons of other ways you could use it. I played around with the idea of an elaborate April Fools joke that would use it to erase all evidence of the joke after first boot. Thought better of it when I was browsing through some of the "Help I Bricked My Phone" threads, some people are just too gullible. ;)

If some intrepid script writer (perhaps you) wants to take some time to write the appropriate firstboot.sh, it could be used to initialize some of the *2sd functionality during the first boot up after flashing an updated ROM. I don't use any of the *2sd scripts, but I know lots of people do.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
That's right. It's used primarily on devices that require proprietary apps, and in such cases will install the apps during firstboot. Some even use secondboot, thirdboot, and even fourthboot scripts for advanced installation requirements (I believe they set a persist.sys.PROP to keep track of boots). On the OV, we only need proprietary libs and binaries, so we don't make use of the firstboot scripts.

There are tons of other ways you could use it. I played around with the idea of an elaborate April Fools joke that would use it to erase all evidence of the joke after first boot. Thought better of it when I was browsing through some of the "Help I Bricked My Phone" threads, some people are just too gullible. ;)

If some intrepid script writer (perhaps you) wants to take some time to write the appropriate firstboot.sh, it could be used to initialize some of the *2sd functionality during the first boot up after flashing an updated ROM. I don't use any of the *2sd scripts, but I know lots of people do.

You're an evil man, Jerry. I was at work when I found out about the update, downloaded and was in a hurry so i forgot to nandroid. Then i get your april fools animation. I thought I was screwed til I got home haha.

Reactions: JerryScript

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've helped a few friends install custom ROMs on other phones, and I've noticed that during installation, in the terminal output in recovery, they have ASCII art, and the install seems more verbose than any of the OV ROMs that I've tried. What file(s) handle this output during installation?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
That's most likely just the updater script having a bunch of ui_print("ASCII ART HERE"); being added.

CyanogenMod uses a small banner at the beginning of logcat as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38