Howto: Using larger SD cards, or 'no more storage woes'

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why I would do this instead of force moving all my apps to the SD card with Titanium Backup?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

harriett_watt

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been working on this some more, and have decided to flash a custom ROM as I can't seem to get the Mini Partition Tool to work for me. Anyway, what would you recommend for a ROM which is stable and supports ext3? Thanks again!

harriett_watt

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok never mind, I finally got this to work. I used some of the tips from mngl1500's post earlier in this thread, thank you mngl1500. I partitioned my SD card on the phone as described here, and then used EaseUS Partition Master on my computer to change the partition from ext3 to FAT32, and then it worked! I linked all apps possible to the new partition and I now have 178 Mb total internal storage (I made the partition smaller because my SD card is class 4 and I went by the 5% rule recommended here). Thank you all!

d8sychain

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
You say that Link2SD moves one's apps and widgets to the SDcard. Which is exactly what App Manager does. So I don't really understand how these two things are different.

I know this is a little old, but I was just reading through this thread and would like to add a little more clarification to this.

Link2SD helps with space so much more than App Manager because it has the ability to move all data, including the application file, the dalvik-cache file, and the library files for the app to the sd-ext section (a sd partition). (BTW, Partitioning is dividing a physical storage space in to different logical storage spaces) It moves all of the app data from it's original location to the sd-ext and then creates links in place of the original location to that data so that it is all connected back to the internal location and continues to function. Link2SD also has the ability to move apps that can't normally be moved and automatically move apps to the SD as they are downloaded and installed, saving you time and space so you can keep spending hours in the Play Store clicking install app after app;) (Ooo I want that one, oh and that, and yeah this one here, ect...:D)

App Manager on the other hand leaves data behind. Depending on the application, that can leave a bit behind and still take up a bit of your internal storage memory after quiet a few apps. Also it can't move certain apps. Another thing, apps are moved to the User's Fat32 section, which when turning on Mass Storage on your device, unmounts that logical section of space (the space other than sd-ext unless your card isn't partitioned then it's all the space) and mounts it on the computer, making that space and content unavailable to the device

Take the app Netflix for example. With all of it on my internal memory the total storage is 26.96MB. Now if use App Manager and click Move to SD I get 1.21 MB left behind. Another example is Google Maps, 19.82 MB. App Manager won't let you move it to the SD card but Link2SD will let you move any app. Saving you room for apps that you do want on internal memory.

I hope that this helps explain so differences and helps new comers to the scene

This is my knowledge and understanding of this, If I am incorrect in any way please feel free to correct me, as knowledge is useless if it is incorrect.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Using these steps on an Optimus S with Xionia Recovery, the partition was successful (1GB on a 16GB card), but, because the ROM wouldn't boot, the computer I was on ran out of time and shut down...you can guess what that means: I LOST EVERYTHING. PERIOD. Never had a chance to copy it back to my memory card because the damn phone wouldn't boot up. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER ABOUT THAT ONE, FOLKS.

UPDATE 2012Sep12 Okay...unbricked my Optimus S and got her running. But Link2SD won't work: I keep getting these errors. The first is along the lines of "ext2 may not be supported" and "try FAT32". Trying that brings the other error: "device or resource busy."

In a nutshell...it won't function as it should. What to do?

Last edited:

sugarbabe33093

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I did the backup and copied ALL the files to my PC, put the 32gb sd card in, partitioned it, mounted it, copied all the files back, but I have no idea where they are and nothing is right on my phone!

I can't even reinstall Titanium Backup on my phone now; it keeps saying there is insufficient space on the device. When I plug it in to my PC it says there are 27.5gb free of 27.7 or close to that.

What did I do wrong/what do I do now?

d8sychain

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE 2012Sep12 Okay...unbricked my Optimus S and got her running. But Link2SD won't work: I keep getting these errors. The first is along the lines of "ext2 may not be supported" and "try FAT32". Trying that brings the other error: "device or resource busy."

In a nutshell...it won't function as it should. What to do?

Try choosing ext4

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2