Dev Phone for Optimus V Virginized

Should we take donations for a "Dev" phone for the Optimus V?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I seen a thread on reddit that the optimus m people were trying to get CM team to port to the optimus M. they offered to purchase a phone for the dev team to use to port over Cm7.

That has had me thinking lately. With so many people borking their phones and what sometimes seems as people coming here for help fixing the problem and not reporting back wouldnt it be kinda cool to have a phone floating around for that?

I dont know who to suggest grab it if or when we raised enough greenbacks but Im sure we could poll that and figure something out.

So what do you guys think? Should we take up donations for a dev phone that could be used to test roms and new techniques like the kdz updater and kp500 tool?

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Good I idea. Even if someone had or can get a spare that's not a dev to test even. I'm no dev but if I had a spare I would do testing to help.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The CM team is a bit different in that they support a wide variety of phones.

Most of the V devs have the phone in hand.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
True but wouldnt it be nice to have a phone that isnt you daily driver to test roms on?
I was about to get a second when the price went up before I could.

I figure mine won't last much longer as it is due to all of the abuse I give it.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was about to get a second when the price went up before I could.

I figure mine won't last much longer as it is due to all of the abuse I give it.

Well crapola I seen yesterday on letstalk.com the optimus v was 149.99 and today they are 199.

Ive seen good deals there some even better then amazon has listed.

Camwinnn

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
True but wouldnt it be nice to have a phone that isnt you daily driver to test roms on?

Something i think an easier solution that would also help everyone (Dev's/Users) would be for someone to change the boot order. Only really have PC experience (NookColor/Optimus are the only android) but if possible it could potentially make the phone unbrickable.

The NookColors boot order is USB,SD,Internal (STOCK! ;p so moddings easy) so say you wanted to test a Rom, you'd burn to SD an boot right from it without touching Internal. If you some how killed internal/DONT want to touch Recovery in Internal, you'd use the SD version of CWM. Wanted 2roms? keep Internal then run another from SD

Then the most "Dangerous" part of modding your phone would be getting from stock to the haxed boot image :p

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Something i think an easier solution that would also help everyone (Dev's/Users) would be for someone to change the boot order. Only really have PC experience (NookColor/Optimus are the only android) but if possible it could potentially make the phone unbrickable.

The NookColors boot order is USB,SD,Internal (STOCK! ;p so moddings easy) so say you wanted to test a Rom, you'd burn to SD an boot right from it without touching Internal. If you some how killed internal/DONT want to touch Recovery in Internal, you'd use the SD version of CWM. Wanted 2roms? keep Internal then run another from SD

Android isn't as delicate as it seems.
There really isn't a ton of truly bricked phones. Most of the time the person messes up, doesn't have the skill to fix it and takes it back, but is actually relatively simple to fix.

Like many things with firmware, there is an emergency system most are unaware of.

Making it boot from SD would just open it up to hacks, which if you have been paying attention, you would know most phone companies are working hard to stop. Part of the "brick" problem is because of their efforts to stop this behavior. Make it easier to modify and recover and chances are you would have less bricks, instead they see it a different way, if you can't break it, you don't need to fix it. Computers used to be the same way, with safety seals on them so you couldn't even upgrade the memory without voiding your warranty. Now we have a huge industry build around upgrades.

I used to void my warranties back then too. :)

Camwinnn

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't as delicate as it seems.
There really isn't a ton of truly bricked phones. Most of the time the person messes up, doesn't have the skill to fix it and takes it back, but is actually relatively simple to fix.

I figured that (; wanted to ask what i was missing?/people were having problems with. To truly brick the phone id imagine you'd have to play with partition sizes? and that would just be to kill recovery?

Making it boot from SD would just open it up to hacks, which if you have been paying attention, you would know most phone companies are working hard to stop

I know companys wouldnt ever do something like that ;P Barns&nobles fatal flaw with the NookColor, was meant to be an eReader and you'd buy there books. now its a random cm7 tablet :p

Had suggested that as like an add-on/patch to a recovery or something for added safety. But thinking of it now its no good ;P cant think of how you could kill recovery unless trying to/a legitimate HW fail and the dualboot option only comes if the Rom Devs decide to support it with an SDversion.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Curious as to why the people voting no are?

I think as somebody suggested maybe this could be donated to somebody to test each rom and how it reacts to the various recoveries and what not. Just know some of the others out there have done this just so certain roms could be ported over. Figured since we have tons of "untested" things floating around it would or could be a good idea.

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Curious as to why the people voting no are?

I think as somebody suggested maybe this could be donated to somebody to test each rom and how it reacts to the various recoveries and what not. Just know some of the others out there have done this just so certain roms could be ported over. Figured since we have tons of "untested" things floating around it would or could be a good idea.

I agree with ya.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk