So is there any way to get Adobe Flash Player?

davidh44

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You can get access to most sites that use flash by using skyfire. The reason adobe flash won't work on our phones is because adobe chose to end support for arm6 after running into issues in the development phase. Even the adobe lite that works on the stock HTC Hero rom runs with significant lag. The custom roms for the HTC Hero can't get a working port of adobe lite. That leads me to believe that it will be close to impossible to get working on the V.

Skyfire seems to only recognize one Flash video per page. So if there are multiple Flash videos on a page, you're SOL unless there's a link to get the subsequent videos to show up on their own pages.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I do have a few tidbits of hope.
No complete solutions, though.
Iceweasel (Debian linux version of Firefox) combined with gnash (linux free flash alternative) plays flash advertisements on my Optimus. It won't play full videos due to the overhead of the terminal interface I'm using.

get-flash-videos on google code, also for Debian linux, captures flash videos just fine on my Optimus, and it attempts to play but the VNC viewer I'm using to access the sd-card Debian installation on my V drops too many frames for the video to be watchable.
The captured videos can be watched on-device with a media player or on a desktop/laptop computer using the Optimus as external storage media.
For example, ancient episodes of Herman's Head came from youtube as .mp4s, playable on-device. I also watched a metacafe video.

Between gnash being semifunctional without even having framebuffer access, and get-flash-videos being able to capture flash flawlessly, it seems shameful that the excuse for no flash on armv6 devices is lack of capability, when it seems more like lack of software support. Deep inside, the V's chipset is very similar to a Snapdragon model from what I've read about the multicore CPU/GPU/FPU/radio.

Someone good with native apps for Android could probably mod and recompile get-flash-videos with the Android NDK and coerce the app to request a SurfaceFlinger based window instead of an X window...

edit: oops, not native code... get-flash-player seems to be written in perl. maybe someone good with perl could use SL4A ( scripting layer 4 android) to implement get-flash-videos on pre-armv7 devices.

Last edited:

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
*Snip*
Between gnash being semifunctional without even having framebuffer access, and get-flash-videos being able to capture flash flawlessly, it seems shameful that the excuse for no flash on armv6 devices is lack of capability, when it seems more like lack of software support. Deep inside, the V's chipset is very similar to a Snapdragon model from what I've read about the multicore CPU/GPU/FPU/radio.

Completely agree with what you're saying, squidster. Anybody using this device a fair share of time with different ROMS can feel the limits of the device eventually. This has been a pretty big irk for me with this device, as well.

So underestimated.

Ah well, your post is inspiring, and I hope beyond hope someone-- much smarter than I in such matters-- finds this to be of help.

-K

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually think its better long term if devices do not have flash.

it will force web developers to encode videos in a better format, since they will want it to be compatible with more devices.

it will promote the growth of better tech.

flash is for desktops. lets leave it there. the internet of the future starts with us, lets not attach a ball and chain to ourselves and waddle towards the future. free yourself of flash and open a world of new possibilities.

Ive already seen some of my favorite flash based websites move to another solution that now works great on my phone where flash would have lagged and been slow and unenjoyable.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I was just saying, I had flash 10 working on my HTC Hero. Yes the Hero did have Flash lite, but there are websites you can go to to check whether flash 10 is working, and my hero ran all of those sites, and my Hero also ran apps that you had to absolutely have Flash 10 installed to work correctly. I don't know anything about programming android/Adobe Flash at all. But if the Hero had flash 10 working, why the hell doesn't the optimus have it working yet?

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Well I was just saying, I had flash 10 working on my HTC Hero. Yes the Hero did have Flash lite, but there are websites you can go to to check whether flash 10 is working, and my hero ran all of those sites, and my Hero also ran apps that you had to absolutely have Flash 10 installed to work correctly. I don't know anything about programming android/Adobe Flash at all. But if the Hero had flash 10 working, why the hell doesn't the optimus have it working yet?

thats because the devs over there ported it somehow

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
adobe and google are bent on keeping flash on "high end" android devices. to use it as a bulletpoint against iphone devices for sales reasons.

of course it will work on a armv6 phone, they will need to tweak it and compile it but nothing is impossible. surely we cant do it as a community because we dont have access to adobes source.

but you KNOW adobe could if they wanted to.

so, now knowing we cant have it, lets move on to a Flash-less world? its a better world :D

jmart981

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
i agree, i use to own a CM7 OG Droid, and to be honest having flash was a nice luxury, but in the end, i didn't really use it a whole lot, yeah watching some videos on the web was nice, but its like everything else, at first its cool, and then after a week, its like eh would i really be missing it if i didn't have it kinda deal...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yeah, not having flash on this device doesn't bother me nearly as much as being told that flash can't work on it, which is a exaggeration at best considering what similar things do work, like get-flash-videos happily capturing a 20 min 1024x768 video at full fps, in 22 minutes. bah, adobe has been going downhill as their software gains weight in MB every release.

andyit1980

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have flash lite on my optimus V, like you can do, like the old moto had, youtube mobile website works also some news websites, but obviously you can go to those heavy sites that are HD.
I don't think it's an issue about the ARM architecture, I have an OLD Nokia N800, and it has FLASH, when it was from MACROMEDIA, and still runs some sites, even with a ARM6 400mhz.
The problem it's licensing, Adobe will charge for the updates, I know for example the Nokia N900 had Flash 9 and for flash 10 they will have to pay for the update on the nokia side, which never happens so they release just Flash 9 with that phone.

But to the Question, Optimus V supports Flash lite plug in, on default browser and others like Dolphin HD.

cr42ydude

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
search the threads there are flash available for gingerbread aosp roms for our phone. like real flash , its not even that slow either..

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have flash 10 on my V. Someone over at SPG posted the .apk that some Chinese dev did and it works fine but, for some reason it will not work with opera mobile.

Sent from my topless assistant

aznrunner1881

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have flash 10 on my V. Someone over at SPG posted the .apk that some Chinese dev did and it works fine but, for some reason it will not work with opera mobile.

Sent from my topless assistant

Flash doesn't work on Opera because it's the site is optimized through opera's servers. That's why it's so smooth. Here's a diagram
Your phone ---> Internet ----> Opera Servers ------> Back to you phone.

Oh, and here's a working copy of flash 10 for optimus v. Flash for x8 - xda-developers

SecularSanity

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled it. Everytime i tried to load a flash movie or show or stream it just crashed back to the home page. So not sure what advantage it would have been. Not really interested in the small things. So triumph can stream things like live television stations on places like tvpc ?