What smartphone to get on Sprint?

sprint_fan

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Upgrade coming in 2-3 months, and I like to know what phone I want to get before I get to the store! I have narrowed it down to two phones now: Blackberry Tour and HTC Hero. I am a heavy texter, and also use email some (but rarely call). I love the keyboard on the Tour but I can type well on the Hero, too. I use the camera some, so I would like a nice one to use. The web browser isn't as important to me, but the Android one is nice. I was wondering if anyone could compare the two devices for me and recommend something? Thanks!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a Moment and the moment, and am quite happy with it. My wife still has the Pre (I switched from the Pre to the Moment to check out the Andoid OS, and am impressed). I've got the virtual keyboard as well as physical keyboard on the Moment. That and faster processor is why I chose it over the Hero (although the Hero does look nice). Definately go with an Android device (or PalmOS, something that has multitasking, and open source is nice). Currently I'm looking for apps, so I can leave my work iPhone in the car for music only.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
I went from the Tour to the Hero and haven't looked back. Once your calibrate the screen and get the hang of the touch screen you'll be ok.

As far as which device to get only you can answer that. If you're thinking Android and you have 2-3 months to wait for your upgrade don't make any decisions yet as I'm sure we'll be seeing new devices here shortly.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there'll be an announcement at CES this week (is it this week?).. I just got the Moment, so with the way it's been, there will be a better device out next month (always seems to happen after I get a new phone) :)

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
If you choose android you won't be disappointed. The browser is far more superior than bb. I switched from bb after using a bb for years and I have no regrets. You'll love it. As far as which android to get depends on your personal preference. I had an eris and decided to switch to the droid because of the keyboard. Good luck with your decision.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Upgrade coming in 2-3 months, and I like to know what phone I want to get before I get to the store! I have narrowed it down to two phones now: Blackberry Tour and HTC Hero. I am a heavy texter, and also use email some (but rarely call). I love the keyboard on the Tour but I can type well on the Hero, too. I use the camera some, so I would like a nice one to use. The web browser isn't as important to me, but the Android one is nice. I was wondering if anyone could compare the two devices for me and recommend something? Thanks!

I'll probably get some flack for this :D

Look at and try the Pixie before you decide. For the casual user, out of the box WebOS is hands down the best for texting and IM. Android can be made as good or better, but then again WebOS can be tweaked too. And the Pixie has a keyboard that's worth a damn no matter how awkward it looks.

It's definitely worth a look.

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what matters most for you. Except for the Droid (which Sprint does not offer), the other Android devices experience quite a bit of lag, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Nothing as bad as Win-Mo or Palm Pre/Pixi, but still noticable. This lag become extremely evident on the Hero, because the keyboard lags. After a few hours of usage, if you type something, it'll lag for a few seconds and then register your key taps. Restarting the phone fixes it though. But a no-no for heavy texters/emailers.

However, Android's browser does beat BB. I think your best option is the Moment, TBH. It has the fastest Android processor out there, besides the Droid, and it has a full virtual and hardware keyboard. And it's not nearly as ugly in real life as it looks in pictures.

wolf1989#AC

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
It depends on what matters most for you. Except for the Droid (which Sprint does not offer), the other Android devices experience quite a bit of lag.

Nothing as bad as Win-Mo or Palm Pre/Pixi, but still noticable. This lag become extremely evident on the Hero, because the keyboard lags. After a few hours of usage, if you type something, it'll lag for a few seconds and then register your key taps. Restarting the phone fixes it though. But a no-no for heavy texters/emailers.

I woud have to disagree. As long as you keep the phone running correctly the only time I get lag while typing is when something is coming in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87