What are the best alternatives for Google Chrome?

Terrania

Mar 31, 2024
Visit site
I'm looking for a web browser that can block ads, along with potential spam texts, and doesn't use up all the mobile data on any Android smartphone. So I was hoping if there any suggestions that I might find helpful.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't have a suggestion. Although I just use the Samsung Internet v.24.0.3.4 ad blockers that come pre-installed w/the Samsung Internet app, which are 'ABP for Samsung Internet' & 'AdBlock for Samsung Internet' ....(the app also lists 7 others that they link downloads for), and they've always worked great for me, as I don't get any ads or spam.

On PC's, I've used uBlock Origin since its creation, and it has been 100% bullet and missile-proof!! With basically no ads and zero spam ever reaching our PC's.
They do have an app for Android:

And an extension for FireFox Android:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What about web browsers that don't use up all your mobile data?
How would a browser alone control that?

It's not the browser. It's the websites you visit.

Pretty sure using a browser to watch YouTube videos will use as much data as using the standalone YouTube app.

BTW, I use FireFox and uBlock Origin for ad blocking in the browser. I also use the Blokada app to take care of most app related ads.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Besides using the WiFi, what else would you suggest that could help with reducing the mobile data on your Samsung phone?
Stop going to websites.

I already told you, it's not the browser.

Also, there are many apps that use background mobile data too. You can actually go into "Settings" > "Connections" > "Data Usage" > "Allowed Networks for Apps" and pick any listed app and set it to "Wi-Fi and Mobile data", " Wi-Fi only", or "Mobile data only".

Use that carefully, because there are some services on the phone is required to maintain a data connection at all times to work. And when you're on the road, mobile data may be all you have.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
What if I keep getting the same notification telling me I have gone MB or GB over my data limit
Then you need to check what is using your data.

"Settings" > "Connections" > "Data Usage" > "Mobile Data Usage" > there will be a list of apps and after the restricted apps, if you have any, you will see a list of apps that have been using your data, with the biggest culprits first.

If it is the browser, then, again, you need to pay attention to the sites you go to.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And while you're in the data usage screen, check that the limit and alerts for data usage options are turned off. That is, unless you are on a metered/limited mobile data plan and need those alerts.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak