Carrier Comparison Sheet

kyt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Our contract with Sprint is coming to an end July 31, 2013 and I'm tired of how much we pay for how poor our Sprint service is.
My wife and I both have an Epic 4G Touch (WiMAX) which we never got service for in Louisville, KY, and Sprint has now abandoned.
I'm not going to stick around in hopes of them ever starting up LTE here.
I've started shopping around, and I really want to switch to T-Mobile.
A co-worker and I sit on the 4th floor of a concrete and steel office building right next to North facing windows. My Sprint 3G bandwidth (Sprint has no "4G" here) is 539kbps/434kbps to a server in town. His T-Mobile 3G bandwidth (test phone did not have 4G) 4299kbps/2302kbps!

My wife can get a ~20% through her office for Verizon, and my mother, who is on our plan, gets 50% from AT&T.
Trying to compare different carrier sites can get confusing, so I built a Google spreadsheet with a lot of numbers and some guessing.
I've spent roughly a week working on it and I've found it to be exceptionally helpful.
So helpful, I want to share it with all of you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An3-IhR4bhJvdDJQNjBWWjVpbEtVaU03b2VYZGRVWFE&usp=sharing

I've removed the discounts from the formulas, and put a sales tax field so you can change the sales tax percentage should yours not be 6%.
If you're familiar with how spreadsheets work, you can easily add lines (rows) or service add-ons (columns).
Actual communications taxes and fees vary greatly, so I adjusted the amount to be 14% since that's the number that made the Sprint page match what my account is (not exactly I have a 25% discount on mine, but it would match sans the discount [-ish]).
I don't have a tax law degree nor the time to research exact numbers for every place. This will still give you a rough estimate, and err on the high side hopefully. If you know exactly what yours are, feel free to change it to exactly that.

The sheet is shared publicly, anyone can view without having to login.
If you want to change some stuff you'll need to copy it to your Drive (File > Make a copy...) or download it (File > Download as...).
All sheets except for the Comparison sheet have 3 smartphones and a flip phone.
All you need to do is change the prices to what you get on the carriers' websites.
Watch for cells where I left personalized notes ;)

The Comparison sheet aggregates the data from the other sheets so you can view them all together.
I discovered, from my own needs, T-Mobile would save me around $1000/year.

Mods, please move if this would better serve someplace else.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good work, thanks for sharing. You definitely want to go with a carrier that offers the coverage you need within your hometown or area you spend most of your time in. T-Mobile is definitely a good choice. You might also want to consider one of the prepaid plans that use T-Mobile towers, such as Net10, and get a device off contract. The prepaid plans are great now and very competitive. The big carriers are starting to see this and have begun offering prepaid plans.

ernestoc33

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Our contract with Sprint is coming to an end July 31, 2013 and I'm tired of how much we pay for how poor our Sprint service is.
My wife and I both have an Epic 4G Touch (WiMAX) which we never got service for in Louisville, KY, and Sprint has now abandoned.
I'm not going to stick around in hopes of them ever starting up LTE here.
I've started shopping around, and I really want to switch to T-Mobile.
A co-worker and I sit on the 4th floor of a concrete and steel office building right next to North facing windows. My Sprint 3G bandwidth (Sprint has no "4G" here) is 539kbps/434kbps to a server in town. His T-Mobile 3G bandwidth (test phone did not have 4G) 4299kbps/2302kbps!

My wife can get a ~20% through her office for Verizon, and my mother, who is on our plan, gets 50% from AT&T.
Trying to compare different carrier sites can get confusing, so I built a Google spreadsheet with a lot of numbers and some guessing.
I've spent roughly a week working on it and I've found it to be exceptionally helpful.
So helpful, I want to share it with all of you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An3-IhR4bhJvdDJQNjBWWjVpbEtVaU03b2VYZGRVWFE&usp=sharing

I've removed the discounts from the formulas, and put a sales tax field so you can change the sales tax percentage should yours not be 6%.
If you're familiar with how spreadsheets work, you can easily add lines (rows) or service add-ons (columns).
Actual communications taxes and fees vary greatly, so I adjusted the amount to be 14% since that's the number that made the Sprint page match what my account is (not exactly I have a 25% discount on mine, but it would match sans the discount [-ish]).
I don't have a tax law degree nor the time to research exact numbers for every place. This will still give you a rough estimate, and err on the high side hopefully. If you know exactly what yours are, feel free to change it to exactly that.

The sheet is shared publicly, anyone can view without having to login.
If you want to change some stuff you'll need to copy it to your Drive (File > Make a copy...) or download it (File > Download as...).
All sheets except for the Comparison sheet have 3 smartphones and a flip phone.
All you need to do is change the prices to what you get on the carriers' websites.
Watch for cells where I left personalized notes ;)

The Comparison sheet aggregates the data from the other sheets so you can view them all together.
I discovered, from my own needs, T-Mobile would save me around $1000/year.

Mods, please move if this would better serve someplace else.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

You just want a good price vs performance. I would avoid AT&T, they are very stingy with the data. I would buy an unlocked phone online and get a sim from a tmo mvno like GoSmart(45 for unl text/talk and 5gig data).

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeansonhacks