Am I the only one that does this to save data?

iowaman

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Am I the only one that does this to save data.

Im not understanding this. I started off with my phone with a plan that had 8 gigs of data and used it all. Then I discovered that most place i went had free wifi. So I started connecting to wifi. Yes some of the places are a pain because you have to log into there network, but others are easy, after the first time you just walk in the door and the phone connects. I use my phone for data use as much as I ever did , but have been able to go down to my cell phone companies 300 mb plan and am thus saving a lot of money. And still only use about a 100 megs a month. Yes I am the one the first thing I do when I go into any place I go is see if they have free wifi and connect to it or make sure I am connected. Yes its a pain but am saving 60.00 a month. Yet any one I talk to and I see them on there phone I ask them if there on the places free wifi, they respond no. I then ask them if they have big data plans, they say yes, and it cost too much but they wont bother logging into free wifi to save money. I dont understand this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Am I the only one that does this to save data.

Welcome to Android Central! It depends on individual needs, as well as the speed of free public wi-fi hotspots. Many places still have pretty slow wi-fi, so it may not be worthwhile for those people who have plenty of data left on their plan. Others would rather not worry about the security risk of doing things on the web on an open public wi-fi network, especially if it has to do with sensitive data like financial or health information. Some people have unlimited data, so there's no need to worry about finding wi-fi hotspots.

But what you're doing is smart, if you're trying to minimize your mobile data usage. You might be interested in Republic Wireless, which connects preferentially to any nearby wi-fi network in order to access the web as well as make wi-fi calls. If the phone isn't in range of an available wi-fi network, then it switches over to the Sprint network.