How to switch from a VoIP carrier to a regular one?

Spassapparat

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought a Google Nexus from Freedom Pop, which is a US carrier doing calling as well as texting through internet data usage. As I am very unhappy with their service, I have decided to switch back to my old carrier.

The switch worked reasonably well, I'm able to access the internet and make texts (using the textra app) using my old carrier. However, when I try to call someone using the regular preinstalled Google Call app it tries (and obviously fails) to use FreedomPop to make the call. Same thing if I try to send a text using the regular google phone texting app. Is there some way to change the settings to make these apps work under the new carrier? Or is there a phone app similar to Textra for texts that I can use instead of the regular Call app?

Thanks in Advance!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like the Nexus may be carrier locked to Freedom Pop, and this is why you are having issues. It may be possible to get them (Freedom) to unlock the phone. Or it may simply be an issue with APN settings. You did not say who the current carrier is, BUT whomever, you can google the internet and get the correct APN settings for them, and manually add them, IF the Nexus is not picking them up from your new carrier's SIM.

phpwizz

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
You could alternatively just switch to a better VoIP carrier. It's still way better than dealing with these phone companies for many reasons, privacy being a main one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non