Just got the new ZTE Grand X4, now I wait

JaxRhapsody

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
For the root possibilities. I know it's new, but that no move to SD card has put a hinderance on how many apps to I can keep. The Grand X rootable, so here I wait for the geniuses to figure out this one.

roundwound5

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm really interested in seeing if someone comes up with a root for this too. Aside from the lack of SD movement the Grand X4 is a surprisingly capable solid device.

JaxRhapsody

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey, what were the results with your root attempt?

I followed all the steps and was unsuccessful. None of the apps, or programs would root the phone. I guess I need to find a phone that allows apps to be moved, something along the lines of a Note as far as phone class. The way things are going with phones, I'm.considering a much older.phone versus new...

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Grand X4 direct from the carrier so presumably it is not rooted. The phone decides whether to save app data to its internal storage or to the external storage (microSD). Most of the apps I've installed are saving to the microSD so I'm happy. I still have 6 GB of its 16 GB internal storage to spare. Everything we install from Google Play Store ideally would be stored automatically to the microSD but that's not the reality.

chesstauren

May 2, 2017
Visit site
If you're really pushed for extra space, you can try formatting the SD card as an internal memory. But then you're stuck with your SD card forever.

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone 3 days ago second-hand for $45, including a case & the original quick charger.

Coming from an LG Stylo 2 and the ZTE Grand X Max 2, I think this may be my favorite. I liked the Stylo 2 except its GPS had tendencies to need more time than normal to "wake up" when I wanted to use Maps (I leave location services ON but set to "battery saving" until I need directions at which time I switch it to "HIGH") and sometimes I even had to reboot it or else the GPS would do nothing at all. The ZTE Grand X Max 2 didn't have that issue and its big-screen experience was something else, but it was a pocketful to say the least.

The Grand X4 feels like a ZTE Grand X Max 2 "downsized for sanity" if you will. Its 5.5" (with off-screen buttons) is to me the "sweet spot," 5" with on-screen buttons is just too small but 6" with off-screen buttons is HUGE. It reminds me a lot of the ZTE ZMax 2 GoPhone I had last year, it was also a 5.5" model with off-screen buttons and was a phone I felt that should've been updated to a ZTE ZMax 3 with Lollipop (and, coming up, a ZTE ZMax 4 with Nougat). You could say this is that phone (so long as you have Cricket, which I do).

Also, I've founds its battery life to be better than the ZTE Grand X Max 2 I had (although that one had perhaps been well-used) and its performance to be at least at the Stylo 2 level if not at the Grand X Max 2 level. I don't do hard-core gaming, but I can appreciate a phone that doesn't "studder" with everyday tasks, and I find it to run smoothly. I also like its usage of USB-C, I so appreciate the cord not being 1-way when you insert it. Also it seems to have the best signal strength, by a small margin, as I live in a rural area and it works probably the best of the 3 at home. Overall I say it's a solid device and I look forward to a Grand X5 with Nougat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38