HTC One (M8): Just made the switch from the Galaxy S5

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just made the switch from the S5

So I decided to give Samsung another chance with the S5, but there is just something about it I don't like. Funny thing is I still like my Note 3 a lot.

That's funny, I'm the exact same way. I have a Note 3 as my work phone that I really like, yet when I went to look at the S5 I was underwhelmed. I can put up with TW on the Note, yet can't stand it anywhere else. So now I have the best of both worlds - Note 3 for business, M8 for pleasure.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I sold my S5 which I never activated as I decided to keep the M8. The Samsung is too locked down for me and the M8 is so easily rooted/modded which was the last straw for me abandoning Samsung (previously owned an S3 & S4). Samsung can take their Knox and stick it where the sun don't shine!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Wait, TouchWiz still lags?

Oh well. Guess it's just a new coat of paint over a rough-running car.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

It's supposed to be better than it was but I haven't seen it first hand. I'm guessing there is still tons of Samsung bloat on the phone. My S4 was lots less laggy after disabling all the unnecessary features and bloat apps.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

It's supposed to be better than it was but I haven't seen it first hand. I'm guessing there is still tons of Samsung bloat on the phone. My S4 was lots less laggy after disabling all the unnecessary features and bloat apps.

I would personally root it and remove those unnecessary junk, but with the addition of Knox, disabling it will be a priority.

And I agree with everyone else here. The Note 3 is amazing.

AustinSlater25

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

The whole debate is subjective and if you like the M8 better then thats the phone you should get. I messed with both and went with the S5 and love it, probably would of loved both but the camera is too important for me. Taking pictures outdoors(sons baseball games) the S5 is just better for that kind of shot, important to me.

I don't understand the build quality thing either. I understand people liking the M8 better but the S5 has a great build quality too, just different.

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I Agree I honestly wanted the s5 to be the next big thing, however for me it was far from it. My battery was terrible and the phone got hot on the back, the fingerprint reader is a real let down after you have used the 5s it makes the s5 a joke so I would rather not even use it. The m8 fits my hand better I can text and drive at the same time. *flame on* I try not to but sometimes it happens. And for me camera vs 5s,s5 and m8 I have not had any pictures that was not acceptable for me with the m8 and I like the zoe and the camera options, not saying s5 may be better but for me I do not actually see that big of a difference to say ok I can't live with it.

I just wish m8 had more options for accessories.

(edited by Moderator)....I try not to, you try not to text and drive and yet it somehow happens? That means you try to text and drive...man....(edited by Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

fyi..... the M8 has better higher %%% user reviews at VZ, Amazon, att, Sprint and T-Mobile....

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Well for one, touch wiz is terrible.* When I say terrible, I mean it?s the by far the worst ?skin? put on a phone by any of the major phone manufactures.* We are in the year 2014, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a phone should experience any lag.* There was lag out of the box and it got even worse once I put more apps on it.* Sense is so much more polished and fluid, its honestly a night and day comparison.

As for the battery, I would say they are both pretty comparable.* They have each lasted me through the work day with very heavy use so I have no complaints in this department.

Camera ? I honestly can?t see why this has been such a big deal. *I?m not a professional photographer by any means, but I do enjoy snapping pics of things going on in my life.* I really can?t tell a difference between the two.* For someone with limited knowledge of photography, I can?t see how anyone could gripe over the camera on the m8.* As for software, in my opinion the camera software on the m8 BLOWS the s5 out of the water.* There are soooo many cool things you can do with the m8 camera software.

Design and feel ? They both are very good feeling phones in the hand.* I have smaller hands so the s5?s slightly wider form factor was a tad on the large side for me, but nothing I couldn?t handle.* My m8 has been in a case from day 1 so I cannot comment on how slippery it is.* I never plan on running the phone without a case so ?slippage? should never be an issue.* The size diff. between the m7 and the m8 is not very noticeable imo.

Audio ? this isn?t even a contest.* The m8?s speakers are the best sounding smartphone speakers I have ever experienced.* The s5 speaker was so weak, watching YouTube videos on high volume was still bothersome.

Reception ? so far the reception on the m8 has been better for me.* I?m on T-Mobile so reception is very important. The S5 wasn?t bad it just wasn?t as good as the m8.

These are just my opinions, obviously, but I can say I am so much happier with the m8.* This is also coming from someone the really has no bias towards phone manufacturers.* I have carried the iPhone 5s. lg g2, htc m7, s4, s5, and others within the last year.* HTC hit it out of the park with this phone.* If only they had a better marketing budget so that they could spread the word*😭

Posted via Android Central App
I don't disagree how bad TW is, but Sense is not a looker either. The crappy main screen was annoying as hell for me on the M7 last year and I made my M7 DE into a GPE and was thrilled to do so. I just wish the M8 had a swappable battery I could learn to live with onscreen buttons, but the camera on the M8 is just no good.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I don't disagree how bad TW is, but Sense is not a looker either. The crappy main screen was annoying as hell for me on the M7 last year and I made my M7 DE into a GPE and was thrilled to do so. I just wish the M8 had a swappable battery I could learn to live with onscreen buttons, but the camera on the M8 is just no good for me.

Fixed :)

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

If you could choose between the BoomSound speakers or the 16MP camera on the S5, and you could only choose one, which one would you choose?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

If you could choose between the BoomSound speakers or the 16MP camera on the S5, and you could only choose one, which one would you choose?

BoomSound without a doubt. More megapixels don't necessarily mean better quality.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

More megapixels don't necessarily mean better quality.

Well in the case of the M8 vs. S5, the greater megapixel camera produces much better results. Is the M8 bad? No but the S5 is better in all situations except extremely low light.

Why couldn't have HTC included an 8mp UltraPixel camera in the M8 and called it a day. You would have got the best of both worlds, enough resolution to crop/zoom while still being great in low light.

Now im forced to weigh the options between the M8 and S5, I need a great camera but I also want great speakers on my phone. Thanks for making the decision so hard this year HTC.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Seriously I understand what the OP is talking about, I played with both devices and I cannot understand other then for the camera why anyone would chose the S5

Hmm I like touchwiz ? , Removable battery ? I personally don't like metal ( though wouldnt be a + or - buying it )

I might consider the M9 next year if they consider a removable battery

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

16MP camera i take more pictures then using speakers well because i don't want to annoy people on trains or outside :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

fyi..... the M8 has better higher %%% user reviews at VZ, Amazon, att, Sprint and T-Mobile....

And how many of those "reviews" are just hating on Samsung because A) Samsung android haters or B) Iphone users? I take user reviews with a grain of salt

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

The whole debate is subjective and if you like the M8 better then thats the phone you should get. I messed with both and went with the S5 and love it, probably would of loved both but the camera is too important for me. Taking pictures outdoors(sons baseball games) the S5 is just better for that kind of shot, important to me.

I don't understand the build quality thing either. I understand people liking the M8 better but the S5 has a great build quality too, just different.

Well to some people think Metal is the Best thing ever .... I prefer plastic since i like my phones light as they can be and considering i am using the note 3 the Note 3 would of been a lot heavier with metal casing

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty