Z3 or Nexus 6

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you, but ultimately went with the Z3, which should be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a change as I had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S. I like stock Android and all, but I wasn't real excited with the L preview on my Nexus 5. The Z3 will get L eventually, so I'm happy with that.

The Nexus 6 also seemed a little too big and I rather have an LED notification light than the ambient display. I also can't imagine battery life being better than the Z3 with the QHD screen and almost the same battery. So with battery life the Z3 wins. Also, I love the fact the Z3 is waterproof!

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, many of those factors have influenced me as well. I purchased my z3 yesterday. So far I'm happy with it. The only thing that drives me nuts is the cover over the charging port. I know it's a must for waterproofing, and I want the waterproofing, but it's annoying. I wish they would have made it qi charging capable. I think I'll end up buying the charging dock, but I've read reviews on Amazon that the charging dock doesn't work with cases. So, still don't know what I'll do. Thoughts?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, many of those factors have influenced me as well. I purchased my z3 yesterday. So far I'm happy with it. The only thing that drives me nuts is the cover over the charging port. I know it's a must for waterproofing, and I want the waterproofing, but it's annoying. I wish they would have made it qi charging capable. I think I'll end up buying the charging dock, but I've read reviews on Amazon that the charging dock doesn't work with cases. So, still don't know what I'll do. Thoughts?

Save your money on the charging dock and get the magnector cable or adapter instead. But if you have a case without too much clearance in the magnetic charging area then you'll most likely need the cable instead as it allows for more clearance than the adapter. Both of them are great a lot more magnetic strength than even the original Sony.

Ulver982

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I got the official charging dock and the magnetic USB charger early and tried it with my wife's Z1 compact and both of them work great, so I'm expecting the same results on my Z3. I won't be using a case with my Z3 btw.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you, but ultimately went with the Z3, which should be delivered tomorrow. I wanted a change as I had every Nexus phone since the Nexus S. I like stock Android and all, but I wasn't real excited with the L preview on my Nexus 5. The Z3 will get L eventually, so I'm happy with that.

The Nexus 6 also seemed a little too big and I rather have an LED notification light than the ambient display. I also can't imagine battery life being better than the Z3 with the QHD screen and almost the same battery. So with battery life the Z3 wins. Also, I love the fact the Z3 is waterproof!

Well......after the N6 release mess I'm beginning to rethink my decision. I have a Z1s and my experience had been great until yesterday. I got a system update (a good thing) but it "broke" Amazon Music, now the app crashes whenever I try to open it. I'll wait and see if Amazon or Sony release an update in the next day or two. I don't stream music so it's not a big problem.

Given my overall positive experience with my Z1s, the Z3 is a contender, especially since TMo didn't mess with the physical design of the phone this time so I can use all Z3 cases, this was a problem with the Z1s. It's just not that major of an upgrade; another gb of RAM, a slightly faster processor and an improved and slightly larger display. Speaking about the display, any one here move from the Z1s to the Z3....I'm curious about how much better the screen is.

Ebaneeezor

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got the official charging dock and the magnetic USB charger early and tried it with my wife's Z1 compact and both of them work great, so I'm expecting the same results on my Z3. I won't be using a case with my Z3 btw.

might want to reconsider that no case idea.. Its a very fragile phone.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Like it was mentioned above, reconsider the no case approach, I can't tell you if it's fragile or not but remember that is crystal on front and back and even when it may not shatter or break, if you are OCD like me, you won't deal with the amount of scratches it easily gets.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Let us know how you get on with it. I'm not sure I want a phone that big so will be interesting to hear what it's like to have one.

So, I was all set to get an N6, ordered a case and it arrived....it is a BIG phone. Then came the frustration of ordering one with TMo and other sources. Now the mixed reviews are starting to roll in. I have changed my mind and going to get a Z3. The battery life is world class and reports I have read indicate a much improved screen over my Z1s. I also know the Z3 will be at the top of Sony's list for Lollipop. Think I'll go with a known winner.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The Sony interface I will have to take some time to get used to.

I am debating as well between N6 vs Z3. But. Man. The two times I visited my local TMobile and handled the Z3...that interface...just...eh...too toy-ish...or ....as if the IU did a time warp from 2009/2010.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am debating as well between N6 vs Z3. But. Man. The two times I visited my local TMobile and handled the Z3...that interface...just...eh...too toy-ish...or ....as if the IU did a time warp from 2009/2010.

The interface setup is pretty much stock android with a very few tweaks, it's one of the things I like about the Xperia Z line of phones. Some of their themes can get a little weird but you can customize the elements of any theme without rooting. Also check Google Play there are many Xperia themes to choose from, both free and pay a buck or two.

All in all, I'll take Sony's interface over Sense or any of the other OEM skins any day

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is open to anyone. I have a Nexus 5 and unfortunately the Nexus 6 is priced way too high for me since I can not do upgrades or subsidized pricing on my TMobile plan. I saw the Z3 and man is it nice. I like the body and screen. I do have some deals that i have found to buy a Z3 outright. I was wondering if anyone has gone from a Nexus 4 or 5 to an xperia z2 or z3?

I always was thinking of even going Z2 since the Z2 and Z3 have the same processor (801 Snapdragon). Let me know your thoughts.

Side note....cant wait for Sony to make a Nexus phone.

CyanoSwamy

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I think they are two totally different devices. One is premium phone and other is a monster but nothing in my opinion beats my super awesome cynogen based phone. The custom ROM has plethora of features and the best part, I can still get regulasr updates rather relying on Brands that don't deliver.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what direction you took, I'm coming from the Nexus 5 and I'm really happy with the z3. Battery life was the big reason for the switch. I think the z2 could be a decent device as well. I financed the phone through tmobile so I ended up with the z3.

AnMobi

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to add some info,

I've been using Z2 for 7 months now, and it's AMAZING.. I have never thought about buying another phone since then.
But yes the phone or the glass is very soft, especially the back one, I just remove my tempered glass less than 2 months ago and now it is scratch sooo much :'(
I really hope that sony will use better glass on the next generation Z phones.

So i'm suggesting to all of you, do not remove the screen protector

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty