Nexus 6P vs. DROID TURBO 2

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The Moto phones have offered some features in the past that intrigued me, plus the rumored extra large battery and MicroSD card slot further piqued my interest. But, after having watched the launch, a first hands on video, and looking at the spec's, I have actually been pushed farther toward the 6P. I think the T2 will be a fine device and offers some very nice features, but compared with the 6P it just looks ... clunky. Plus, no Marshmallow and just seeing all the bloatware on the screenshots made me cringe. Based on the reviews I've been seeing, I think the 6P is more what I'm looking for ..., plus it's damn sexay. ;) As soon as it's back in stock, I'm ordering one of these bad boys.

Now I just have to decide which color ..., White ... Aluminum ...? :confused:

Anyone else have similar or different reactions?

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Was anyone else waiting to compare with the Droid Turbo 2?

For me, carrier bloatware, contracts, and no updates is a deal-breaker. Until my N6P arrives, I am rockn' a OnePlus One - best phone I have ever had...

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

For me, carrier bloatware, contracts, and no updates is a deal-breaker. Until my N6P arrives, I am rockn' a OnePlus One - best phone I have ever had...

You don't need a Nexus to buy off contract. But the carrier bloatware and slow updates are good points. Not only that, but the Manufacturer bloatware is even worse than the carrier bloatware.

Last edited:

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Nope. I don't patronize liars.

I'm assuming you mean Verizon? I don't know that they've ever actually "lied" to me, personally, but my experience with various of their business practices has definitely left me not feeling terribly positive about them. Unfortunately, for various practical reasons, I'm sort of stuck with them as my primary carrier.

I don't disagree with you at all but, as mentioned above, I'm pretty much stuck with Verizon, and have been dealing with their bloat and contracts for years. I don't like it, but am used to it so, for me, it was at least worth considering the T2. However, after following all the info about the 6P for these past several weeks, I've definitely begun looking forward to ridding myself of at least some of that. And it didn't take much at all to push me away from considering a Big Red device when the Nexus is a better option.

I've wanted a Nexus phone since the Sammy, but the timing (with my damn Verizon contracts) has never worked until now. Another reason to take advantage of the opportunity.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm intrigued by the specs (I'm on VZW) but the fact that VZW will not be quick to update (and Moto for that) and all that carrier bloat... no thanks. I'll (hopefully) stick with the 6p due to being a stock Android phone with no Moto/VZW muckiness ;)

and here's the size compare...
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...us-6P,Motorola-DROID-Turbo-2/phones/9587,9774

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming you mean Verizon? I don't know that they've ever actually "lied" to me, personally, but my experience with various of their business practices has definitely left me not feeling terribly positive about them. Unfortunately, for various practical reasons, I'm sort of stuck with them as my primary carrier.

Probably means Motorola, take a read here, especially 2nd paragraph:
Editorial: Moto's New DROID Phones Ship With Android 5.1, And They Deserve Every Second Of Crap They Get For It

but VZW is definitely to blame as well. So the combo of Moto and VZW, updates aren't the most promising aspect of this phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Editorial: Moto's New DROID Phones Ship With Android 5.1, And They Deserve Every Second Of Crap They Get For It

but VZW is definitely to blame as well. So the combo of Moto and VZW, updates aren't the most promising aspect of this phone.

If this was two months after Marshmallow launched, then one could be reasonably upset. But it's not. So it's just more of complaining for the sake of complaining.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

If this was two months after Marshmallow launched, then one could be reasonably upset. But it's not. So it's just more of complaining for the sake of complaining.

I actually agree with you. I merely posted because any article that has to do with Moto and Updates, people are going crazy over the whole Moto G update "fiasco". Since no other OEM actually has marshmallow on their flagships and HTC only has it on the A9, it doesn't make much sense to freak out... yet...

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I need a cigarette after reading the editorial. The only thing better than not covering the Droid announcement is covering it with the reaming it deserves. Well played AP.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I need a cigarette after reading the editorial. The only thing better than not covering the Droid announcement is covering it with the reaming it deserves. Well played AP.

The one part I did like was this line:
Nowhere on any page does Motorola even mention anything about software updates or Marshmallow, because Motorola probably knows all too well that the Verizon Update Certification Clusterfudge* Machine (VUCCM, for those in the biz) is all but guaranteed to let down the consumers Motorola has already let down some more.

*edit by me ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I actually agree with you. I merely posted because any article that has to do with Moto and Updates, people are going crazy over the whole Moto G update "fiasco". Since no other OEM actually has marshmallow on their flagships and HTC only has it on the A9, it doesn't make much sense to freak out... yet...

It's a Moto E fiasco, actually. :)

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

"...and multiple months since OHA members have had (6.0) development source available to them for updates and new devices."

So yea, reasonably upset is warranted.

Also, too: "In Verizon and Moto's presentation, the version of Android the Maxx 2 and Turbo 2 are running was mentioned zero times. Number of times future software updates were mentioned? You guessed it. The word "marshmallow"? CTRL+F "marshmallow": 0 of 0."

So yea, reaming deserved.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

"...and multiple months since OHA members have had (6.0) development source available to them for updates and new devices."

So yea, reasonably upset is warranted.

Also, too: "In Verizon and Moto's presentation, the version of Android the Maxx 2 and Turbo 2 are running was mentioned zero times. Number of times future software updates were mentioned? You guessed it. The word "marshmallow"? CTRL+F "marshmallow": 0 of 0."

So yea, reaming deserved.

This phone would be releasing in December, not October if they went back and to launch with Marshmallow instead of Lollipop.

Rant for rants sake.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

This phone would be releasing in December, not October if they went back and to launch with Marshmallow instead of Lollipop.

Rant for rants sake.

Umm, no. They could do what they did last year with the MX'14 - release it in October and update in December. They could be transparent about it. At a minimum, they could at least address the issue of whether these devices will ever get 6.0.

Based on their silence it's reasonable to assume these new devices will never get 6.0. Moto deserves scorn for their silence and buyers deserve to be warned.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Umm, no. They could do what they did last year with the MX'14 - release it in October and update in December. They could be transparent about it. At a minimum, they could at least address the issue of whether these devices will ever get 6.0.

Based on their silence it's reasonable to assume these new devices will never get 6.0. Moto deserves scorn for their silence and buyers deserve to be warned.

How reasonable is it to expect the DROID TURBO 2 to not get Marshmallow when Motorola already announced the original DROID TURBO would be getting Marshmallow?

Again - rant for rants sake.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

to be fair, the Lollipop update last year on the '14 Moto X was a disaster... it seemed like they rushed it to the phone just to say it was out. I had the 14 X at the time and the 5.0 update was almost unusable (for me, anyway).

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

How reasonable is it to expect the DROID TURBO 2 to not get Marshmallow when Motorola already announced the original DROID TURBO would be getting Marshmallow?

Again - rant for rants sake.

Silence = silence. Not listed here. They could've said something, anything. Just silence.

Feel free to assume. You know what happens when...