Otterbox Defender & Tempered Screen Protector

rinconmike

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have used an otterbox defender for years on my phones. Got one for the Pixel 2 XL. This is the first one I have without a screen protector as part of the case. Otterbox says it is due to the curved screen. So I got the Verizon wireless tempered glass screen protector. Never used one before. It was simple to put on and seems to fit fine. I then put the otterbox defender case on and all seems to fit well.

One question, if needed, do these tempered glass protectors come off easy? Do they leave any residue on the screen?

Thanks.

Mike

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have used an otterbox defender for years on my phones. Got one for the Pixel 2 XL. This is the first one I have without a screen protector as part of the case. Otterbox says it is due to the curved screen. So I got the Verizon wireless tempered glass screen protector. Never used one before. It was simple to put on and seems to fit fine. I then put the otterbox defender case on and all seems to fit well.

One question, if needed, do these tempered glass protectors come off easy? Do they leave any residue on the screen?

Thanks.

Mike
They leave no residue. They come off easy but do note that when you remove it, you have the possibility of cracking it when lifting because it may flex. So you shouldn't take it off unless the tempered glass is broken and you're looking to replace it.

rinconmike

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So far I like the Verizon Tempered glass screen protector with the phone in the otterbox defender case. Coming from a Pixel XL with the defender case that comes with the screen protector, it is like night and day.

One thing I notice with the temper glass, around 2mm on either side (same distance on both sides), where I think the screen protector starts the curve, there is a vertical line from top to bottom of the screen. It is perfectly straight. I am not sure if this is just with the verizon or other glass protectors on the curved screens would show the same.

I tried to take a picture of it. Looks more noticable in this photo. Depends on the angle and how the light hits it.

Attachments

• Pixel 2 XL Screen Line.JPG
    Pixel 2 XL Screen Line.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 59

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I just got the OtterBox defender yesterday, I had an urban armor gear but with the XL's curved screen I didn't feel like the bumper was raised enough to protect the screen

I really like the defender and it's superior protection no doubt

Screen protector butts right up to it also which I bought off Amazon, it's a curved protector that only has adhesive at the edges...I know it will fall off eventually

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
AMfilm glass
Google Pixel 2 XL Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Google Pixel 2 XL Tempered Glass Screen Protector 3D Curved with Dot Matrix for Google Pixel 2 XL 0.3mm (1-Pack) [UPDATED ADHESIVE VERSION] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WW69P...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6051615

I have this one coming today
Google Pixel 2 XL Screen Protector, Wellci [ 2 Pack ] Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Google Pixel 2 XL (Ultra Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074L4D3T...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6051615

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
The tactile response on the AMfilm is poor. Because it's bubbleless and curved it doesn't always make great contact and I have to press repeatedly to get it to work

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Incioio Plex Plus Edge TGSP and Otterbox Defender on my Pixel 2 XL. First time I had a TGSP with a guide that "snaps" on to phone. Worth it as it was the first time I've gotten installed on first try. On my previous phones it was trial and mostly error. Especially with Seidio Covert and Dilux cases.... Sadly, they don'y have plans to make either for Pixel 2 XL. Though it fits my pattern of having to alternate between Otterbox and Seidio every other phone.

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I tried the amfilm and took it off within a few minutes. It could have been user install error but it didn't look good and cause touch screen issues for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana