Yet another charger question for a noob

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just ordered a Pixel 2. Used to have a Galaxy S5. That means I have a few million USB-A bricks laying around ranging from 5w to 12w.

Can someone break down for me what I really need? Is fast charging always good? Should I keep some of the 12w bricks around with A-C cables for overnight charging?

My problem is that I want multiple chargers: one at home, one at the girlfriend's house, one at work, one for each car, etc. I would rather not pay $35 each for google chargers when I can buy cheaper ones on Amazon, or just use A-C cables.

What is a good solution for getting a bunch of fast chargers? Is fast charging always a good thing... should I slow charge overnight? Will any fast charger work, or does it have to be USB-C and have to be compatible with Pixel 2 phones? So confusing for an old-school guy like me.

Can someone explain it like they're talking to a 4 year old? :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered a Pixel 2. Used to have a Galaxy S5. That means I have a few million USB-A bricks laying around ranging from 5w to 12w.

Can someone break down for me what I really need? Is fast charging always good? Should I keep some of the 12w bricks around with A-C cables for overnight charging?

My problem is that I want multiple chargers: one at home, one at the girlfriend's house, one at work, one for each car, etc. I would rather not pay $35 each for google chargers when I can buy cheaper ones on Amazon, or just use A-C cables.

What is a good solution for getting a bunch of fast chargers? Is fast charging always a good thing... should I slow charge overnight? Will any fast charger work, or does it have to be USB-C and have to be compatible with Pixel 2 phones? So confusing for an old-school guy like me.

Can someone explain it like they're talking to a 4 year old? :)

Get some A to C cables.

You don't need to buy new Google chargers.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got a pack of microUSB-to-C adapters (that's cheaper than cables). I sometimes charge my P2 with the factory charger, sometimes with one of my Samsung chargers and sometimes with my 30 Amp lab supply (it puts out 5 Volts, so why not).

As long as the Output line on the charger says 5 Volts (or 5.1 or 5.2), you should be fine. You want at least 1.2 Amps (or 1200mA) for a Pixel 2, but "at least" - if it's capable of more, that's fine. (If it's capable of less, it's not really a problem, but it will take longer to charge. Just using a 5 Volt charger, instead of the fast charger will take longer too, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Curtis Mittong1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I just got a pack of microUSB-to-C adapters (that's cheaper than cables). I sometimes charge my P2 with the factory charger, sometimes with one of my Samsung chargers and sometimes with my 30 Amp lab supply (it puts out 5 Volts, so why not).

As long as the Output line on the charger says 5 Volts (or 5.1 or 5.2), you should be fine. You want at least 1.2 Amps (or 1200mA) for a Pixel 2, but "at least" - if it's capable of more, that's fine. (If it's capable of less, it's not really a problem, but it will take longer to charge. Just using a 5 Volt charger, instead of the fast charger will take longer too, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Thank you. That is good to know. I figured I could charge with older bricks, but it won't rapid charge. I split my time pretty evenly between work, home, girlfriend's, and traveling, and rapid charge is something I desperately wish I had on my old S5. I think it will be frustrating to have a feature I can't use and will definitely need. It is one of the reasons I'm upgrading phones; to get that specific feature.

I'm looking for inexpensive ways (i.e. not buying $35 chargers from google) to have rapid charging stations for wherever I am. I did the Leung search on amazon and came up with some options by piecing together bits that should work but was hoping to find solutions that will work for rapid charging that don't cost big bucks.

Curtis Mittong1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I think what I'm trying to figure out is what all the terminology means. Searching this forum I see that fast charging is 15w and up, so that means a brick and cable that are capable of doing 15w. But how do I ensure that?

One of the Benson Approved cables is advertised at 3A, but in the fine print it says that it actually only does 2.6A. What does PD mean? What does IF certified mean? Some people here claim that the only way to do fast charging is via USB-C and USB-A is a crap shoot.

What do I search for on Amazon or NewEgg or whatever to be sure I'm getting the right thing?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think what I'm trying to figure out is what all the terminology means. Searching this forum I see that fast charging is 15w and up, so that means a brick and cable that are capable of doing 15w. But how do I ensure that?

Wattage = Current x Voltage

So, look at the output specs on the side of the charger. Most will have the wattage on there. If not, they might say 2.1 amps @ 5 volts. Using the wattage formula, that is 2.1 x 5, or 10.5 watts. That's not quick charging.

One of the Benson Approved cables is advertised at 3A, but in the fine print it says that it actually only does 2.6A.

That means it outputs 13 watts. (2.6a x 5v = 13 watts)

What do I search for on Amazon or NewEgg or whatever to be sure I'm getting the right thing?

Look for "Quick Charge" rating. That usually means it does 18 watts.
"Fast charge" typically means it outputs 10-15 watts.

On Amazon I use the search reviews search box and look specifically for "Pixel 2 XL" or "Pixel 2" to see if customers say in their reviews that the charger quick charges Pixel 2 devices.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

That should work, should give you quick charge capabilities, however it has over 300 reviews and not one from a Pixel owner.

Also, while that is the correct cable for that charger, do you really want 6.6 feet length?

I use my Pixel 2 XL supplied charger for most charging situations, but I also bought a USB-A to USB-C cable in 3.3 foot length to use my old style wall charger, basically a slow charger, which outputs 6 watts.

Curtis Mittong

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
That should work, should give you quick charge capabilities, however it has over 300 reviews and not one from a Pixel owner.

Also, while that is the correct cable for that charger, do you really want 6.6 feet length?

I use my Pixel 2 XL supplied charger for most charging situations, but I also bought a USB-A to USB-C cable in 3.3 foot length to use my old style wall charger, basically a slow charger, which outputs 6 watts.

I like to have 6 ft cables for a couple wall chargers. If I have to talk on the phone while its charging I don't want to have to sit or lean over. I also often watch an episode of something on Netflix in bed to wind down, and with a tall bed and the outlet being in the baseboard, 3 ft just doesn't always cut it.

I also just linked to the quickest Leung-approved A-C cord I could find on Amazon as a reference and didn't pay much attention to the length.

So here's what I did based on all of your inputs:

I currently have: Two 10w USBA bricks which I'll use for overnight charging, and two 12w USBA car units. I bought a few of the A-C cables I linked to above (some 3ft, some 6ft) and also bought one of the 18w bricks. That will net me 2 quick chargers (including the one that comes with it), two 10w chargers, and two 12w car chargers. So, two quick, two slow, and two slow car... but all of them still as fast or faster than what my S5 was able to take.

The Blitzwolf cables are overkill for everything but the one 18w brick I bought, but they were basically the same price and they are forward-compatible in case I upgrade anything in the future.

Now the only thing that remains to be seen is... if the 18w USBA brick I bought will actually quick-charge the Pixel. Look for reviews in a couple weeks when I get it all here and tested. If it works, that combo will be a $15 solution for quick charging instead of $35 from google. In total, I spent about the same as buying one extra charger from google, but I outfitted myself with everything I need for six charging points; two fast and four slow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed