Is it Possible to Add GPS to Pixel C

Jacki Moya

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
Other than using my phone as a hotspot, is there a way to add GPS to the Pixel C (I want maps to be able to show where I am as I'm driving).

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Nope. The Pixel C uses WiFi and Bluetooth for location. That means it's either very coarse (through WiFi) or pinpoint down to the foot (Bluetooth beacons), but with no GPS it won't be able to do much while you're driving.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to use an external Bluetooth GPS device, like this Garmin GLO unit, but I don't have one to test with my Pixel C.

As Jerry alluded to, Android supports several location providers (WiFi, cellular, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.), but is ultimately limited by the device's hardware. Android also supports "mock" providers for injecting location data from other sources, such as external GPS devices like the Garmin one I linked, or when developing and testing apps. Some apps treat these mock providers differently than others, so you may run into issues using a Bluetooth GPS device depending on which specific apps you're looking to use it with.