root or unlock app

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there is a reason that an app hasn't been developed but I'm asking because obviously I'm too dang stupid to even figure out how to unlock my phone thru htcdev so why can't there be an app to install that can unlock the bootloader or do temp/perm roots on our phones rather than use a computer to do this. Ten yrs ago OK maybe twenty I probably understood these instructions but now I need instructions and pictures I know pretty freak in sad. I've spent oh gosh three my be four days trying to unlock the phone to no avail and now I've got it where the computer won't recognize it. So Verizon is sending me a new phone.

I'm sure there are devs out there that can write code to do all this thru the phone and if this is so it sure be nice to see this as an app in the market.

James

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem with this idea is that the HTCdev site gives you an individual key when you attempt to unlock. I'm pretty sure that key isn't "one size fits all." Also, there are different methods of unlocking for each OEM and each phone produced by that OEM, which would be another problem in itself.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there is a reason that an app hasn't been developed but I'm asking because obviously I'm too dang stupid to even figure out how to unlock my phone thru htcdev so why can't there be an app to install that can unlock the bootloader or do temp/perm roots on our phones rather than use a computer to do this. Ten yrs ago OK maybe twenty I probably understood these instructions but now I need instructions and pictures I know pretty freak in sad. I've spent oh gosh three my be four days trying to unlock the phone to no avail and now I've got it where the computer won't recognize it. So Verizon is sending me a new phone.

I'm sure there are devs out there that can write code to do all this thru the phone and if this is so it sure be nice to see this as an app in the market.

James

The reason is that half of what you're asking for is an exploit. Rooting is more often than not an exploit. The zergrush method (which was closed in the OTA) used a USB exploit to push a new superuser package. These things aren't as cut and dry as one would think.

More on topic. Don't spend any more than an hour or two on something(unless you're really a DIY'er) without dropping in and asking questions. There's usually someone around that can help.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
There is some setting or something that I can not figure out, I seem to not be able to get my phone and computer to recognize one another even have a new replacement here and still I can not get either phone to sync with either my desktop or my laptop so wha tthe freak am I missing hereguys? Any help would sure be appreciated. I have phone in charge only mode and then also have it in USB debugging mode as well and this is both phones not just the one.

James

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Of course there is, you just need to unlock, install a custom recovery(Amon-Ra), and install superuser(root) from recovery.

*shudder*
I know it's do-able, but I can't imagine having to go through those steps just to gain root again. I'm very happy I deleted bloatware and created an OTA force field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87