New Rezound on the way. Install ROM(s) right out of the box?

jayfish

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello group,

I am expecting delivery of a Rezound this week and plan to load an aftermarket ROM on the device. My plan is RUU 3.11.605.22 with CleanROM 4. I don't even want to see a hint of VZ bloatware so my question is; should I go this route right out of the box or do I need to go through normal activation and setup before doing so?

Thanks,

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would activate it with verizon first, at least. You don't really need to set the phone up at all, as soon as you run the new leak, it will wipe everything anyway. Also, just a little trick I picked up. When you need to get into the bootloader, you don't have to pull your battery. Plug in your phone to power, then just do a normal reboot. As soon as the power light shuts off, hit and hold power and volume down. Wait for bootloader to load up, and your good. You have to reboot though, power off does not work, neither does just shutting it off and holding the buttons while it powers on.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you should activate the phone, but alls that entails is taking the sim from the tb and placing it into the rezound. Rooting the rezound is a little different, you have to unlock the bootloader from HTC's website first.

jayfish

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to flash this baby right after I activate it. Here is my plan of attack:

• Activate
  • Load ICS
  • Unlock
  • Flash custom recovery (Aman Ra)
  • Nandroid backup
  • Load cleanROM 4.1

Did I read correctly that a root of the device isn't needed with CleanROM 4.1?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
CleanROM is pre-rooted. The only thing you need root for is to use higher functioning apps. Amon-Ra is a custom recovery partition that operates outside of Android. So no, if your plan of attack works, you shouldn't need to root.

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Greetings, I would like to piggy back on the original post. I am also acquiring a Rebound this week as well and plan to root as soon as possible. I am coming from a Droid charge which is rooted. Before this i had a captivate which was also rooted. I am familiar with the Samsung phones but the htc phones seem a little more difficult to root and install custom ROM. Can anyone recommend a good source for a noob guide to rooting and customizing the rezound.
Thanks jperiod

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Greetings, I would like to piggy back on the original post. I am also acquiring a Rebound this week as well and plan to root as soon as possible. I am coming from a Droid charge which is rooted. Before this i had a captivate which was also rooted. I am familiar with the Samsung phones but the htc phones seem a little more difficult to root and install custom ROM. Can anyone recommend a good source for a noob guide to rooting and customizing the rezound.
Thanks jperiod

There are writeups all around, including right here. XDA probably has the most active community though so you might want to try that write up. I'll give you the short version here.

ROM'ing:
Unlock via HTCDev.com
Install Amon-Ra or Clockworkmod custom recovery
Install your ROM.

Rooting Stock:
Unlock via HTCDev.com
Install Amon-Ra custom Recovery
Install superuser from the developer menu of Amon-Ra
Install/update superuser from the Android Market(Play Store)

jayfish

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm up to ICS but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on CleanROM. ...yet. I'm able to pretty much disable all the VZ bloat using just ICS and I'm not ready to void my warranty by unlocking. The only thing I really want from CleanROM is tethering.

jayfish

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
On a more serious note; I could have sworn that, in the short time I used it, GB would rotate the home screen between portrait and landscape. ICS doesn't seem to do this. Am I correct or mis-remembering?

ON EDIT: Disregard, I read-up on my question in another thread. Thanks for looking though!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87