Wanting to go S-Off, but...few questions?

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey All, I want to go S-Off but there are a few questions I have.:confused:

1. I am running firmware 3.11.605.22, so do I download the ICS version of ControlBear?

2. Where do I go for instructions or how do I upgrade my hboot?
Because I think I am running a GB version of hboot, it currently says

****Unlocked****
Vigor PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.10.0000
eMMC-boot
Oct 5 2011, 21:18:48

3. Also when upgrading my firmware to a newer RUU ICS leak which one in your opinion are getting better battery and radio performance?

I know these are a lot of questions, and some unrelated to going S-Off but, they have been going through my head as I have been thinking about it and I want to say thank you in advance for all help provided

Last edited:

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey All, I want to go S-Off but there are a few questions I have.:confused:

1. I am running firmware 3.11.605.22, so do I download the ICS version of ControlBear?

2. Where do I go for instructions or how do I upgrade my hboot?
Because I think I am running a GB version of hboot, it currently says

****Unlocked****
Vigor PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.10.0000
eMMC-boot
Oct 5 2011, 21:18:48

3. Also when upgrading my firmware to a newer RUU ICS leak which one in your opinion are getting better battery and radio performance?

I know these are a lot of questions, and some unrelated to going S-Off but, they have been going through my head as I have been thinking about it and I want to say thank you in advance for all help provided

If you upgraded your firmware to ICS via the RUU, which it looks like you've done since you're running 3.11.605.22, how did you get a Gingerbread hBoot on there? The RUU should have updated your hboot as well as far as I understand it.

If that is the case then you should use the ICS download for ContorlBear

Not sure which ICS leak is best, I'm on the same firmware number you are and have had not problems with my radios...the battery life thing is going to be kernel related and there isn't much to be done about it until the kernel source is released.

Reactions: unklsckness

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
If you upgraded your firmware to ICS via the RUU, which it looks like you've done since you're running 3.11.605.22, how did you get a Gingerbread hBoot on there? The RUU should have updated your hboot as well as far as I understand it.

If that is the case then you should use the ICS download for ContorlBear

Not sure which ICS leak is best, I'm on the same firmware number you are and have had not problems with my radios...the battery life thing is going to be kernel related and there isn't much to be done about it until the kernel source is released.

I think 605.22 still had the old HBOOT.

To the OP. I'm sorry to say this but read the heck out of the XDA forum. As much as I'd love to do a write up on this, I refuse to go S-Off until given a good enough reason. There are some here who have gone down that path and I'm sure they're all willing to help you out.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
S-off is pretty easy to achieve... I think having the right kinda wire makes a big difference...I tried different types of wire without success. The only what finally worked first time was a large paper clip... As for firmware I am running 3.14 and it's sweet.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I think 605.22 still had the old HBOOT.

To the OP. I'm sorry to say this but read the heck out of the XDA forum. As much as I'd love to do a write up on this, I refuse to go S-Off until given a good enough reason. There are some here who have gone down that path and I'm sure they're all willing to help you out.

Why would you apologize for saying this. That is why I asked or if someone knew where to point me in the right direction. I was more so curious because it just seemed that once S-Off there were less steps in flashing. I too am not overly sold but I do see some conveniences in being S-Off.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to say it because XDA is a minefield these days. Spend a little while reading through the threads and you'll see what I mean.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Tonight I might put something together for S-off, maybe even get my own stickie!

S-off does make flashing easier. I used an old piece of Coaxial cable. I could not for the life of me get the paper clip to work.

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
If you could make a guide, that'd be awesome... I've been reading a ton for days here and on xda (and a few other places), and I'm still feeling a bit unclear. (I'm new to the Rezound and Verizon, coming from the Evo and Photon on Sprint).

One question I can't seem to find an answer to already comes to mind, not having actually tried this yet:
I want to stay on GB for now while I get used to this phone -- it seems that there are some comments saying not to accept the hboot install from the program unless I am on the ICS leak... so if I run the ContolBear program, and decline their hboot prompt at the end, I should simply stay with a stock hboot, but still s-off right? (meaning.... I will be able to flash PH98IMG zips, but not run fastboot commands...?)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
you can still run fastboot command and yes, you can just s-off and leave the rest as is. If you are unlocked, it will relock your phone. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS, DO NOT UNLOCK AGAIN

You do not need to, s-off is all you need.

Eventually you should go to the Juno hboot, but it isn't necessary nor really needed now. It is easy to install later

Reactions: JustSomeDudeHere

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
you can still run fastboot command and yes, you can just s-off and leave the rest as is. If you are unlocked, it will relock your phone. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS, DO NOT UNLOCK AGAIN

You do not need to, s-off is all you need.

Eventually you should go to the Juno hboot, but it isn't necessary nor really needed now. It is easy to install later

Thanks for the reply - this all seems much more complicated than on the Evo, so it really helps to have some reassurance as I read through all this.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
there are no dumb questions here on AC, over on XDA they all are...lol...ask anything you want here.

yeah you can use the latest for all ROMs, I want to say that it is completely separate from the ROM, but I cannot say that for sure.

What i can say is that if it works on the phone and unless specifically stated by the ROM developer to the contrary, if will work regardless of version.

Usually the OP will have "Flash using...." so you will know for sure

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure you get the 3.15 version of Amon Ra. It will work with GB and ICS, but if your on ICS firmware, the other versions can't see your internal storage. Not a huge deal, but with s-off, you get all excited, download a rom, and forget to move it to your sd card before you boot into recovery. If AR can't see your internal storage, your rebooting, moving, and back to recovery.

There is a pretty sweet TWRP recovery as well, it's all touch screen, and works great.

I also used a piece of coax and it worked fine. I pretty much just kept one side in the hole, and kept stabbing at the ground pin until it worked. Took about 10 stabs I bet.

Use an old SD card if you can

Make sure HTC sync is shut off on your computer

Make sure USB debugging is on your phone

Make a nandroid of your current Rom

And just read until your comfortable doing it. It's easier than flashing an RUU, and since it looks like you've done this, you should be golden.

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I feel comfortable enough to give this a shot. Now I just have to find time to use a pc at work... (only have a Mac at home) :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well it did not go well for me at all. I think I may have soft bricked my phone. I got the S-Off with 2.21 hboot and updated to RUU3.15 but it will not read my external SD card or even when I reboot I just see the JuopunutBear box. I have been all through the forum on XDA reading and have not found a solid answer on how to fix this, any suggestions would be good.

Last edited:

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I I just have to hijack unklsckness's thread one more time to thank everyone here! With the help of MrSmith317's guide and piizzadude and twolastnames's advice here, I just successfully unlocked, rooted, got s-off, re-installed Amon Ra, and installed Ineffabilis (GB edition) -- all in one sitting! Thanks again everyone!

Now we'll just see how long I can stay on this rom before RUU-ing to the latest leak and flashing Ineffabilis Deus... (I've gotten in the habit from my Evo4G days to really trust the folks over at themikmik to make bug-free, fast roms). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress