rom vs kernel

KeithF40#AC

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
so a rom is like the software. what is a kernel then? the reason why I am a little confused is bc sometimes you need to flash and new kernel and sometimes you don't.

is there just one gb kernel and one ics kernel or are there tons of each, and if so, are they all customized from the dev?

I am running a gb rom right now(assuming I have some sort of gb kernel as I have never ran ics) and want to run a ics rom now. I know that my kernel is overclocked to run at 1.8 and I do not want to lose this functionality should I upgrade my kernel to a ics kernel.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The kernel is the bridge between hardware and software. It controls the hardware more or less. Most kernels for a set of ROMs, such as sense 3.6 ROMs, will work for all in that set. But any major rom changes will mean kernel changes as will because the communication will be different.

Usually* you can switch ROMs of the same type without changing kernels. However if you go from gb to ics or even sense 3.6 to sense 4, you will need to change

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Sebastian on xda has an overlooked kernel you can use with Ics. Only problem is you can't use any over clock control apps, or your cpu runs full throttle all the time, killing your battery.

Just need to remember, if you're not gonna ruu up to Ics, you need a patch to make Ics work on gingerbread.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Sebastian on xda has an overlooked kernel you can use with Ics. Only problem is you can't use any over clock control apps, or your cpu runs full throttle all the time, killing your battery.

Just need to remember, if you're not gonna ruu up to Ics, you need a patch to make Ics work on gingerbread.

I think you misspelled JellyBean there. I mean why would anyone still be on Android 2.anything with ICS/JB out there?

KeithF40#AC

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
so what does the patch do? is it a kernel? why wouldnt just a ics rom and kernel do the trick, what does the patch do that a rom/kernel couldnt?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
so what does the patch do? is it a kernel? why wouldnt just a ics rom and kernel do the trick, what does the patch do that a rom/kernel couldnt?

If you're not up on the ICS OTA or RUU then you need the "old firmware patch" That allows a phone with Gingerbread firmware to use the ICS wifi and mount points. Otherwise you won't be able to use wifi or see your SD card. There's probably other things that go wrong as well but those are the most common.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You need to run an Ics ruu to fully update. Some dudes insist on staying on gingerbread firmware, but run Ics roms.... So they need a kernel patch to make it work. If you just load up an it Ics roms with out running an ruu, your phone won't boot up all the way.

Ninja'd by the man...

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't flash RUU's in clockwork. You flash them in HBOOT. and as mentioned a thousand times(by me) CWM is not a great option on the Rezound. You can end up with an unusable phone because you didn't charge the battery.

Check my how-to guide on flashing an RUU and/or guide to unlocking/flashing/etc. The gist of it is:

Lock your bootloader
Flash the RUU in HBOOT
Re-unlock
Install Amon-Ra
???
Profit

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non