5.3 - 5.5 inches tablet for $149 from Amazon/Google

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Crazy or brilliant? Is there a market for it among teens, tweeners and kids?

Example:

I asked my 10 years old nephew why he want an Ipod Touch when he could get a Nexus 7 for the same price.

His answer: "I can fit in in my pocket."

Amazon and Google are in the best position to introduce the 5.3"-5.5" tablet for $149. Think of it as the "gateway" tablet. It won't sell as well as the 7" version but it will sell decently. Amazon might surprise us with a 5.3" tablet on Sept 6.

Amazon is the "first" company to make the 7" tablet popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a 5.3"-5.5" tablet (same size as Note 1 and Note 2) the next battleground as well. More competition, better for everyone.

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Crazy... No

Brilliant... Meh

I think a 6" tablet or a 7" with no bezel and 99$ would be closer to the ticket.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
for 5.3 inches you could get a Galaxy Note.

The target market is kids, tweeners and teens who don't have the money to pay $100+ a month for a 2 years wireless contract.

Think of it as the direct competitor to the Ipod Touch.

Apple is selling around 25-30 million of Ipod Touch each year.

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Why Amazon Must Light a Fire Under the Kindle Fire - Businessweek

Amazon comes to the battle with its own assets, though. Bezos and his executive team are unsurpassed business strategists, subsidizing the cost of devices with advertising and tying up the loyalty of their best customers with Amazon Prime, the $79-a-year free shipping service, and then hanging perks off that service like the free Instant Video streaming service. Amazon is also a master of the margins, willing to sacrifice profitability for market share. And it’s quick to identify and exploit new markets (like 7-inch tablets ) before its U.S. rivals.

So will there be any surprises in Santa Monica?

Amazon could surprise the world with the introduction of a 5" tablet.

thompcd

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Samsung released the 5.1" galaxy player around 6 months before the note for $199. I thought they were awesome, but not many were sold. Although, Samsung didn't push it hard either

Tap'd via my GS\\\

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung released the 5.1" galaxy player around 6 months before the note for $199. I thought they were awesome, but not many were sold. Although, Samsung didn't push it hard either

Tap'd via my GS\\\

5.1" Kindle Fire from Amazon at $149
5.1" Nexus 7 from Google at $149

These will sell, especially since Amazon can advertise this on their front page. Same with Google.

Who know, Amazon might get it down to the magical $99 price point in a year time with their ad-supported version. I know I will definitely buy one. It's too cumbersome to carry a 7" tablet around in my pocket. But a 5.1" is perfect. Best of all, since it's use wi-fi, no monthly contract.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
OR.. A foldable tablet that goes from 8" full down to 4" folded. I'm a genius!!

Holy shiza this is actually a great idea, I may have to go patent this.

BookReader2

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
5" KOBO mini ereader for $80

Kobo announces three new readers: one glows, one's small, one runs Ice Cream Sandwich -- Engadget

kobo-mini-press-lead.jpg

Last and most diminutive is the Kobo Mini, the "smallest e-reader on the market," according to Kobo's calculations. The reader sports a 5-inch display and measures 5 x 5.24 x 0.41 inches, weighing in at 134 grams (4.7 ounces). Inside, you'll find an unspecified 800MHz processor and 2GB of storage. Battery-wise we're talking two weeks with WiFi off. Price-wise: $80. The Mini comes in black or white and features three interchangeable color backs.

NEXT STEP: a 5" Tablet for $149. Very doable!!!

5" Amazon Kindle Fire
5" Google Nexus 5

5" is the same size as the LG Optimus Vu (known as LG Optimus Intuition in the USA)

lgoptimusvuhandsonlead01.jpg

lgvue.jpg