Will it be insane to buy the S8 or Note 8, if Samsung doesn't find cause for Note 7 fires by then?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Will it be insane to buy the S8 or Note 8 next year, if Samsung
doesn't find cause for Note 7 fires by then? (and publicly announce
that they have solved the problem)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
well.... I wouldn't say insane, I think it might not be the wisest course of action. The second issue that resulted in the Note 7's demise, would appear to be more subtle than the obvious manufacturing defect that caused the first one. My guess is that it is related to some design decision....

Now, this means a little bit of trouble for the S8 since Samsung does a two-step when it comes to designs... as they take elements and bounce them from the S line to the Note and back. The all glass construction of the S6 begat the all glass Note 5, the Note 5's reverse curved back got brought to the S7... it would be safe to assume that the S8 might share elements from the Note 7.... and whatever design defect caused the Note 7's cancellation might be among those.

This is a nuance that I am sure is not lost on Samsung... the investigation is probably 'all hands on' at this point.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
They may not have a choice. Feds are gonna want it any then it will by public domain.

from what I read, it appears that Samsung is no longer under legal oblication to supply the Fedx(CPSC) with further material, once a voluntary/involuntary recall has been initiated.

since it appears that the battery and battery supplier was not at fault, some have suggested software issues that cause the batteries to overheat and catch fire.... perhaps North Korean agents have infiltrated the massive South Korean Samsung corporation and caused the sabotage.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they would release another Galaxy device before they nail down the problem. They don't want another disaster like the N7.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I actually have a V20 preordered where it should be in my hands sometime next week !!??

Though I've been thinking of cancelling the preorder and simply continue using my beloved S6 Edge+ as I have been the past few weeks since returning Note Part 2.

I figured if the S8 comes out first quarter of 2017 it may be best just to sit it out and wait ?