Let's have your Pixel 3 (or 4) wishlist

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL:
* Wireless charging.
* Bigger battery. Don't you dare make it smaller!
* Headphone jack.
* No blue tint on oblique views of screen.
* Smaller bezels on top and bottom. Sides are OK. Absolutely no notch.
* Bring back Miracast (or some way to cast to TV that doesn't require Chromecast. Hey, this is a wishlist!)

Hmmm... You want smaller bezels on the top and bottom, but no notch. So basically 6ou want a Samsung Galaxy 9, but not with the edge screen.

How about this: We have a notch for the camera, but there are three options for the area flanking that notch. We can treat it as part of the full screen and overlay the status and notifications over the wallpaper. Or we could automatically crop the wallpaper, giving a high contrast solid color for the status and notifications. Or, we can set it as non-existent in the system, so that the notch doesn't actually exist and the camera blends into the top of the glass (which is no longer part of the screen).

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm... You want smaller bezels on the top and bottom, but no notch. So basically 6ou want a Samsung Galaxy 9, but not with the edge screen.

How about this: We have a notch for the camera, but there are three options for the area flanking that notch. We can treat it as part of the full screen and overlay the status and notifications over the wallpaper. Or we could automatically crop the wallpaper, giving a high contrast solid color for the status and notifications. Or, we can set it as non-existent in the system, so that the notch doesn't actually exist and the camera blends into the top of the glass (which is no longer part of the screen).
I hate those damn notches!

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL
Keep the same overall size.

Wireless charging
Bigger battery
Display screen from Samsung this time for the XL
IP68 certified
Can the camera get even better?

wicketr

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL:
* Bring back Miracast (or some way to cast to TV that doesn't require Chromecast. Hey, this is a wishlist!)

Miracast or even just support HDMI over USB-C. My old Nexus tablet supported output over MicroUSB to HDMI and it was fantastic for trips. Requiring a Chromecast be brought with you and setting up adhoc networks on vacations to get it working is insane.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to but after understanding why the notch exists (to reduce bezels) it makes sense. People want less bezels and at some point something has to give.. at least until they have the tech to put those sensors in the notch under the screen.

MKBHD explains it well here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIvaQ1Hv2Ug

You can rationalize it all you want. The notch in its current form reduces functionality.

In the picture below I have my iPhone X and 8 plus side by side. The 8 plus displays so much more useful information than the X does. I get battery percentage in number...Bluetooth. screen orientation and my alarm icon and location
I would rather have useful information displayed at the top and have the display 02 larger.
Look at this picture between my 2 iphones iPhone X and 8 Plus.

The 8 plus has more useful information displayed that adds to a better user experience.
You can reduce bezel size and still have a great screen to body ratio without having a notch. Look at the Samsung phones and the Vivo phones. They have great display to body ration without a notch

Xand8Plus.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can rationalize it all you want. The notch in its current form reduces functionality.
[/url]

Not really "rationalizing" -- just saying it logically makes sense. They reduce bezels and have to put the camera/sensors somewhere so.. for now the "notch" is the fix.

Just like all the hype of fingerprint scanners going under the screen instead of on the back and such. It isn't that the companies don't want to do it.. it is just the tech has to catch up.

In the picture below I have my iPhone X and 8 plus side by side. The 8 plus displays so much more useful information than the X does. I get battery percentage in number...Bluetooth. screen orientation and my alarm icon and location
I would rather have useful information displayed at the top and have the display 02 larger.
Look at this picture between my 2 iphones iPhone X and 8 Plus.

Also not saying the notch is better at displaying info -- so not sure why you are trying to debate that. I agree the older iPhones show more information versus the X. My comment was strictly on why the notch exists. Blame the war on bezels if you are upset about it.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Not really "rationalizing" -- just saying it logically makes sense. They reduce bezels and have to put the camera/sensors somewhere so.. for now the "notch" is the fix.

Just like all the hype of fingerprint scanners going under the screen instead of on the back and such. It isn't that the companies don't want to do it.. it is just the tech has to catch up.

But there are other ways to reduce the screen to body ration without an notch. It is being done by other companies.

agmsr

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site
There is nothing I must have for Pixel 3, so any improvements are welcome. That said, I wouldn't mind, in descending order of importance:
--Nicer screen (Samsung Galaxy quality)
--Headphone jack
--Longer-life battery
--Wireless charging
--Smaller bezels, although I use the "chin" sometimes to hold the phone
--Camera is terrific, but if they can improve that, go for it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But there are other ways to reduce the screen to body ration without an notch. It is being done by other companies.

And they simply chose not to do it that way. Design is a choice and the choice is they would rather do it that way versus what other companies are doing. Again never said it was the ONLY or PERFECT way .. I simply said why it is there at this present time.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
And they simply chose not to do it that way. Design is a choice and the choice is they would rather do it that way versus what other companies are doing. Again never said it was the ONLY or PERFECT way .. I simply said why it is there at this present time.

The notch on the iphone X was done to distinguish the iphone from other phones at first glance....just the way the front round FPS does on older iphones.

Then some Android OEMs chose to copy it. Rather needlessly at that. Because most of them allow you to eliminate the notch....so why was it there to begin with? It makes no sense at all to me.

Just explaining my POV on the whole notch issue and hoping the Pixel 3 does not have it!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The notch on the iphone X was done to distinguish the iphone from other phones at first glance....just the way the front round FPS does on older iphones.

Then some Android OEMs chose to copy it. Rather needlessly at that. Because most of them allow you to eliminate the notch....so why was it there to begin with? It makes no sense at all to me.

Just explaining my POV on the whole notch issue and hoping the Pixel 3 does not have it!

Well I explained why -- Bezel reduction. You just don't like that answer since other companies are doing it another way. That is fine -- you just don't agree with their design decisions. No harm no foul :).

I personally don't care if there is a notch or not. From using phones without it to using the iPhone X.. I was never bothered with it or without it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 3 XL
Keep the same overall size.

Wireless charging
Bigger battery
Display screen from Samsung this time for the XL
IP68 certified
Can the camera get even better?

The only thing I can think of for the camera is add the zoom Button like the s9+ ...like that feature

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana