Asus padfone

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Despite it's awful name it looks pretty awesome. In the unlikely event it comes to Verizon, it will be my next android device. I want a transformer, so why not get a new phone and tablet at the same time?

ASUS announces the Padfone (update: eyes-on!) - http://pulsene.ws/1LYNh

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Edit: though its confirmed, since its still pretty unknown I figure it belongs here

Last edited:

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Have to disagree. I want my phone and tablet to be separate. I plan on tablet use at home and plan to add different apps to it than i would a phone.

Also new phones come out all the time. I upgrade once a year. I will hold on to a tablet a lot longer than that. I dont want to be forced to not be able to update my phone or even be forced to stick with ASUS if i want to upgrade just because of that tablet display.

Still going transformer for now until I find out what Amazon has up their sleeve.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree that I wouldn't want to be locked into 1 phone but depending on the phones specs it could be a 2 year phone,By that time you'll get your moneys worth and to me it is a cool accessory for your phone. I think if I were to get a padfone it would need to be 4g and Global,I would mainly use it for work. If priced right unlike the Atrix it would be great for gaming . whats gets me is that I was thinking about something like this since I had my PRE just a unerversal 1 lol

KSUJedi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I want my next phone/tablet/pc to be a Kal El-Padfone-Transformer! Been predicting this for awhile now, eventually our phones will be our go everywhere do everything computing brains that get adapted for different use.

On the go? Your phone goes with you as a phone.
Want a bigger screen for train/plane/couch/etc content consuption, phone docks into a tablet shell, ala Padfone.
Want to get some more heavy duty work done, type a paper, work on office documents, etc, tablet docks into a keyboard, ala Transformer.
At home, adapters to dock phone/tablet into TV/entertainment center, into a desktop dock.

Getting into quad core Kal El and future SOC, this is more and more possible for the brains of your phone to be able to cover most consumers computing needs. Large businesses and companies where time and computing power = money will continue to use x86, the rest of us will be living off SOC's.

Would be good though if there were a standard so that upgrading the phone wouldn't mean making all the other docking stations obsolete, given the typical 1-2 contract life span.

Reactions: sndplace

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Nicely put... It would be great to have it in Kal form, quadcore powerhouse. I would prefer a 7inch tab and a 10inch laptop doc .... And a standard mount for any phone from the carrier would be nice.. Aftermarket products would make a killing from this.

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The Padfone would be an interesting proposition *if* you could use it docked without a silly tethering plan stipulation.

The Atrix dock is pretty silly to me when you can?t use the phones data connection without incurring tethering charges. This padfone would be the same.

-Suntan

KSUJedi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so just had another thought on this concept, in part based on this recent story about ASUS being the leader in non-Apple Tablet shipments.
Login to DIGITIMES archive & research

1. So according to that, ASUS's profit margin is very small on the tablet itself, but high on the keyboard dock.
2. Padfone concept has limitation of being phone specific, and thus carrier specific.

So my thought to ASUS is, forget about making a phone, forget about even making a full tablet with onboard SOC. Instead, make a tablet dock that's basically a screen/extra battery/additional I/O connectors, and make it as an accessory to several/most of the top phone models. To keep development costs down, keep it basically the same, but with different models that vary only in their location of HDMI/USB connectors to fit different phones, IE bottom for EVO, etc, side for Droid X etc. Would just have to move wiring around a little, and change the shape of the dock to mate with the phone, and with otherwise standard components, you can then have an accessory that you market to all of those different phone model owners. Your target audience is then expanded to everyone who has a high end smartphone and wants a tablet = PROFIT!

Secondarily, make that tablet dock mate with your transformer keyboard dock, thus second high profit margin accessory with a large target audience = PROFIT!

Software integration could be an issue that I don't know enough about, but I would think it could be manageable.

Ah, just found this, someone's already thinking it... Could even be a bigger target audience than Android, make PadFone/Transformer accessories that can target iPhone/Android/Windows Phone, and you've got a huge market.
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/05/...dfone-tablet-iphone-5-computex/#ixzz1O0WJlA75

Last edited:

craig_xatik.com

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one and I'm really excited about this phone.

I hear it's finally releasing this April BUT they don't ever say which carriers will receive this phone/tablet.

I'm guessing this will just be released outside of the US first and come to the US carriers around october or something? (All pure speculation)

Any thoughts or has anyone heard rumors of this?

Clay333

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm really ready for this to drop. I have watched it since it was announced. I think the price is going to be what determines the success

AKA Preluva

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
PadFone coming to USA but carriers seem to lack interest? WTF? :confused: I'd rather have Windows 8 on this but they don't seem to want to say much about it. If they try to add a BS tethering charge then I think that will kill the idea. Hopefully someone will come up with a way to hack it so you don't get charged assuming they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez