DO NOT BUY the Pixel 4 if you care at all about battery life!!!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It was the Pixel 4 (not the XL) version and I returned after not being able to live with the terrible terrible battery life. It really was hands down the worst android phone I ever had when it came to battery life.

But apparently your experience isn't the same for everyone. There's a thread for people who have the smaller Pixel 4 specifically, and there are some getting the same battery life as the Pixel 3, some better, some worse. There are some people who get crap battery life for phones that are known for great battery life. It comes down to each person's situation (signal level at their location, user settings, apps installed, etc). The fact that some are getting decent battery tells me that either there are some devices that have issues (but apparently isn't an issue with the fundamental design otherwise all would have issues) or perhaps your circumstances are more detrimental than other (what I referenced above about signal strength and such). But to try and paint the phone itself as crap when others aren't having the issues you are isn't being realistic. I too wish they put a larger battery inside, but if some are doing ok without it, then maybe the issues aren't phone related.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

In the first paragraph the writer comments how Google is trying to find something unique to offer with the Pixels - amusing because, in the Android realm, it's had unique offerings for years that it's shameful other Android OEM's don't offer, but nobody ever seems to want to pick on the marketshare leaders for omitting things like guaranteed OS and security updates because hey, that might keep people from upgrading and buying their latest every year. But yes, Google did innovate a large number of new things this year, and some of them truly do differentiate (new GA, live transcribe being top of mind for me).

I hoped for an objective article from ARS but sadly gave up that hope when I read the second paragraph of the article where it stated: "The new additions like face unlock and Motion Sense just don't work well."

One thing which nearly every reviewer out there has agreed upon is that the face unlock works exceptionally well. Maybe the author had performance issues with his device, but assuming the phone's performance in that area is poor is like saying Tom Brady is a mediocre quarterback after viewing one game where he didn't perform at his norm.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Face unlock does work exceptionally well. It's just too bad all of my apps on my phone don't say the same thing

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Even Better
00ee244c252da83d4eca3a745eb2fd1f.jpg

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Here's a typical use day for me. I have the regular Pixel 4, not the XL. Over 3 hours screen on time and still 43% battery left. With my usage I can get 5 hours screen on time no problem. I rarely let my phone get below 40% however.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Screenshot_20191125-184701.jpg

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I would have no problem with a regular pixel 4 lasting me all day, with my typical usage, going by some of these numbers posted up. But my screen on time is very minimal, I'm mostly a Bluetooth/voice activated calling/texting/emailing kinda guy. I could see how a heavy screen user+everything else could have a problem.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Here's a typical use day for me. I have the regular Pixel 4, not the XL. Over 3 hours screen on time and still 43% battery left. With my usage I can get 5 hours screen on time no problem. I rarely let my phone get below 40% however.

Pics or it didn't happen:

View attachment 313524

Unfortunately screenshots like these are of limited value simply because we don’t know what apps you have been using. Plus, everyone uses their phones slightly differently (power users, gamers, light users, photographers etc).

I guess what we can all agree on is that the battery on the Pixel 4 should have been substantially bigger. That way, most/all users would have satisfactory battery life/usage time, not just the light-average users (if average means anything now).

dspeersrev

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
I just posted on another thread, I just got the pixel 4, and was worried about the battery life. I used it for a full day yesterday, and I ran it all the way down. Got 5 hours and 30 minutes of screen on time. I do not think that that was too bad.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just posted on another thread, I just got the pixel 4, and was worried about the battery life. I used it for a full day yesterday, and I ran it all the way down. Got 5 hours and 30 minutes of screen on time. I do not think that that was too bad.
Not at all , congrats!

dspeersrev

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Just another update. I did not use the phone much yesterday. Very busy and so was lightly used. Standby was ok. I took it off the charger at 8 am and put it back on the charger at 4 am (fell asleep in front of the TV from midnight), and it was down to about 39%. Again, I honestly do not think that was too bad. The final thing is that our reception out here in the country is poor. 105db would be a very good signal. 1-2 bars of either 4g or 4lte is normal. I cannot say I am disappointed in any way.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately screenshots like these are of limited value simply because we don’t know what apps you have been using. Plus, everyone uses their phones slightly differently (power users, gamers, light users, photographers etc).

I guess what we can all agree on is that the battery on the Pixel 4 should have been substantially bigger. That way, most/all users would have satisfactory battery life/usage time, not just the light-average users (if average means anything now).

True, but that could be said of any phone regardless of battery size. If you live in a poor signal area, even a 4000mAh battery isn't going to make much of a difference. I've seen people complain that the Pixel 4 would be better if it had a 3400mAh battery, which would probably net you another 1/2hr to hour of SOT and a few hours of standby.

While I'm not saying that companies SHOULD put smaller batteries in their devices, the difference between a 2800 & 3400mAh battery won't be that significant. The biggest battery gains seem to be letting adaptive battery learn your usage habits, letting the "new device smell" wear off so you start using it regularly (and not like a new device where you're playing with it all the time trying out new features), and letting app developers update apps for the device so they work more efficiently.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Here's two screenshots of the usage page from the same day. I'm not a heavy user, I don't think the smaller Pixel 4 was designed for heavy users anyway. Most people I know that game a lot or watch videos on their phone tend to go for larger phones anyway. I agree that if you're a heavy user the smaller Pixel 4 isn't for you.

Screenshot_20191126-193152.jpg

Screenshot_20191126-222131.jpg

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I chose the Pixel 4 because I could never get use to the plus size phones. I do care very much the battery level of my phone, to the point that I plugin my phone whenever possible. When I am traveling (not in reach of power outlets), I always bring a battery pack.

Anyway, my experience with Pixel 4 is about the same as my iPhone XS. It's definitely acceptable.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Small 4 battery life is sufficient for my daily needs. Typically finish the day around 40% or higher with 2.5-3.5 sot.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting around 5hrs SOT pretty consistently on the 4 XL. Definitely could be better. Hopefully Google wises up next year and follows Apple with slightly thicker/heavier phones to accommodate bigger batteries.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I am not going to stress about the battery. I use the phone all day with at least 6 hours of SOT. Can't kill it. Put it on the wireless charger whenever I go to bed. Charged to 100 percent when I wake up.

Maybe I'll use a battery charger next time we get a hurricane, but other than that, it's fine.

I think I had the original Pixel XL in 2017 with Hurricane Irma took our power for a week. The battery Charger worked for that too. No Wi-Fi though, lol