My samsung A8 Phone not charging because of "overheating"

Yeshash

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
My Samsung A8 device got wet in the pool and a few seconds later,started to give messages like "the device is overheating" and "phone can't charge. Battery temperature is too high". My device wasn't even warm. I think there's an issue with the temperature sensor. My phone is now switched off and it doesn't charge. How do i fix this issue?? Please help

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the device got wet and had water damage, probably things are going haywire. It might not feel hot, but if there is a short circuit, that would trigger the temp sensor as well. It is highly advisable NOT to charge the phone until you're 100% certain it is completely dry (and since you've already had it powered and charging, you might have already permanently damaged the hardware, so repairs might be in order).

However, this device is IP68 rated, so if it's still under warranty, you could check that, too. BUT the phone won't let you charge if it still detects moisture in the port (wireless charging might work, though)

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it's a bit more complicated than being "100% certain it is completely dry". Please read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! thoroughly. As SpookDroid said, the phone may be beyond hope by now, but a few quarts of alcohol aren't expensive.

Yeshash

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
The device was in my pocket when there was a gentle splash of water on my pants. The pocket was moist with water. I immediately pulled out my phone. But the phone wasn't visibly wet. The phone didn't indicate any signs of being wet or having come in contact with water. Thank You for the quick response..

Yeshash

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for this...now i atleast know the reason. The water was beach water...high electrolyte concentration...though the amount of water in contact with the phone was very minimal...i guess RIP Phone it is

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd still try after a couple days just in case, and maybe try warranty? This IS supposed to be waterproof (and I've used the Note 8 by salt-water pools since I got it, and as long as I rinse it out, it's been fine... I obviously don't dunk it in, but splashes and handling with my wet hands is definitely there).

Yeshash

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
This is supposed to be water proof...that's exactly what caused me to break my head over how an indirect contact with few molecules of water had damaged it..the warranty period has been exceeded...will try the rinsing method.. cheers!!