Rather specific question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks.

I currently have a Note 10+ phone and a Galaxy Tab S5e tablet.

I'm considering the Fold 2, or a 3, so as to have a "one & done" device... like many of you may have been wanting.

My rather specific question...

I read comics... LOTS of comics.

Reading comics on my Note is... serviceable at best... books are fine actually... it's just comics that don't read well on a smaller screen. Of course when I'm home with access to my tablet, the reading experience is much more enjoyable, but holding a larger tablet for a length of time can get unwieldy. I do have, and often read on, a Huawei 8.4" tablet... but I'm hoping to get one device.

Does anyone read comics specifically on this device... reading comics is different from reading books... who can comment?

Unfolded the Fold is only... what? 0.6/0.7" larger screen than my Note 10+? Not sure that would be much better.

Stores around me, that even have them, won't allow me to download a comics app to try :(

Thank you.

Take care,
Lou

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My Z Fold 2 when unfolded is way bigger than a Note 10+.
I haven't tried reading comic books but reading eBooks, emails, watching videos, etc. is the best experience I've had with a phone (vs a tablet) & much easier to hold for long periods of time. I hate to use any smaller slab phone now. Love this ZF2!
Here's a photo I took comparing my ZF2 with my Note 20 Ultra.
If you can point me to a comic book link, I can load it up & show you the screen.
4ac6126dae06cf759b0fa4324a3911b5.jpg

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
No experience with the Fold but as someone who had read Marvel comics and the Walking Dead comics on phone and tablet I understand your frustration.

The different screen aspect on the Fold should help over a regular phone but if it's actually big enough to satisfy your needs I wouldn't know.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried reading comic books but reading eBooks, emails, watching videos, etc. is the best experience I've had with a phone (vs a tablet) & much easier to hold for long periods of time. I hate to use any smaller slab phone now. Love this ZF2!
Here's a photo I took comparing my ZF2 with my Note 20 Ultra.
If you can point me to a comic book link, I can load it up & show you the screen.
4ac6126dae06cf759b0fa4324a3911b5.jpg

Thank you.

There is an app in the play store called Comixology. It's free, and owned by Amazon... so if you have an Amazon account, you can log in with that.

There are tons of free comics you can download and use.

I'm interested in how it looks full page, (there's an option for "guided view" which scrolls tile by tile, which is annoying to say the least, lol. I'm not sure if that's the default setting or not.).

If you get the chance to do this and post a screenshot, it would be greatly appreciated, but I'd also like your thoughts on "readability" without having to zoom into see the text.

If you have to zoom in to read the text, that'd be a "no go."

Again, thank you.

Take care,
Lou

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Oh, forgot to say... yeah, I can definitely see that despite numerically only being 0.8" difference, (Note 10+ 6.8", Fold 7.6"), in reality there is a much bigger difference in real estate.

Even if the comic answer is favorable, I may wait for the 3 at this point.

I often hate being a slave to my "Tech'itis," my wife REEEAAALLLYYY hates it, lol.

Worshipper

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I recently traded in my note 9 for a fold 2 (couldn't pass up the $900 trade in) and Ive actually been reading comics on my phone/tablet for years. Comixology looks good and the fold [BOX]20210124_232148.jpg20210124_232130.jpg[/BOX]makes the reading experience much more enjoyable. Turning the fold to landscape orientation will show black bars at the top and bottom of each page but since the overall screen is much larger it doesn't affect the reading experience imo as much as it would on a smaller screen. Guided view will sometimes show pages with almost no black bars depending on the page you are reading.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.

There is an app in the play store called Comixology. It's free, and owned by Amazon... so if you have an Amazon account, you can log in with that.

There are tons of free comics you can download and use.

I'm interested in how it looks full page, (there's an option for "guided view" which scrolls tile by tile, which is annoying to say the least, lol. I'm not sure if that's the default setting or not.).

If you get the chance to do this and post a screenshot, it would be greatly appreciated, but I'd also like your thoughts on "readability" without having to zoom into see the text.

If you have to zoom in to read the text, that'd be a "no go."

Again, thank you.

Take care,
Lou
So, for me the text bubble is a tad small in its default state. My eyesight is probably different than yours though. I feel the need to look through the more magnified portion of my glasses to comfortably read.
That being said, the graphics look stunning to me!
I totally get you! My Hubby just shakes his head as I buy *another* new phone. You can wait for the Fold 3 which might have an even tougher screen & possibly an S-Pen or wait until the Fold 3s come out to buy the Fold 2 cheaper. I love this dang phone! It's so hard even going back to my Note 20 Ultra.
Let me know if you need more info.
Here's a couple of screen shots (they still might not give you the answers you're looking for). I can also take a photo of the ZF2 & screen if that will help):
Screen/phone are in portrait mode. To me, looked better than landscape.

0b1557f2e25e5a295b2e1a6daf0aee9b.jpg
0958bbef1ae68066f7832503081e4fc6.jpg

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both very much for taking the time to post your replies with pictures.

That doesn't look bad at all... though at 53 my eyes aren't what they used to be, lol.

At this point I do think I'll wait for the 3... but unless something significantly good changes, (rumors of a smaller screen to make room for an S-Pen, is a downgrade for my wants/needs)... the wait is more for a cheaper 2 than the 3 itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez