Galaxy Fold woes..

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly what you want to see two days in..

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No way I'm putting money into this. I love tech and all but this product just seems too immature, especially for the price. At that price point I feel like extremely high build quality needs to be able to be taken for granted and I don't think we're gonna a get that in this first generation.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
Okay then. Then the price should reflect that. Do you think the price reflects first-gen issues or if it had less issues (better build quality/engineering) it should cost even more?
No price is high and it's why I won't touch it for years but folding phones there's always a chance this could happen

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No price is high and it's why I won't touch it for years but folding phones there's always a chance this could happen
It's hard for me to accept that Samsung doesn't have its finger on the pulse of quality issues but I know there's statistically bound to be flaws in a new product like this. I just think they should have taken that possibility into account when pricing the device. Even if it was $1500 I wouldn't touch it now so maybe it doesn't matter.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Ruh roh. Color me concerned. While I can afford the phone, I cannot afford the phone to break. I would be absolutely shocked if Samsung did not test these devices thoroughly before releasing them. I mean the tech has been in the pipeline for what 8 years? I'm gonna hold onto my preorder for now but this definitely has me concerned. Hoping there's a reasonable explanation for this but honestly, I'm not sure there can be one. The PR is bad for sure. Even though 2 reviewers took the plastic off, I mean, that shouldn't destroy the screen either.

I wonder if Samsung will just pull the entire release now?

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I'm surprised Unbox Therapys unit hasn't broken yet. He keeps cranking out 2 videos a day of his fold. Lol. I'm a little skeptical about these broken units. The verge was messing around with puddy and the other guy removed the protective film that Samsung said not to remove. Let's wait and see I guess.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised Unbox Therapys unit hasn't broken yet. He keeps cranking out 2 videos a day of his fold. Lol. I'm a little skeptical about these broken units. The verge was messing around with puddy and the other guy removed the protective film that Samsung said not to remove. Let's wait and see I guess.

It's understandable and reasonable to be skeptical, but some folks didn't remove the screen protector. If nothing else, it shows the display is still more fragile than almost any other device out there, and Samsung is going to have to do something by way of user education to ensure the screen layer is not removed. Apparently what they have done so far, is not gonna cut it.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure why the reviewers took the protector off. I knew that it was supposed to stay on. If you are paying 2k for this, do your research!

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
I wonder if some of them were because they were snapping it closed with a lot of force. I've seen a few of the review units being flipped shut by holding one side with a thumb on the display and flicking it hard to close it.

It's an incredibly expensive phone, not a damn fidget toy.

I treat all my gadgets with kid gloves, this one even moreso.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, if most of the probelms were from removing the plastic (don't do that) and that weird bulge was a piece of the modeling clay they used got stuck in the hinge, maybe the problems aren't as widespread as it sounds.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if some of them were because they were snapping it closed with a lot of force. I've seen a few of the review units being flipped shut by holding one side with a thumb on the display and flicking it hard to close it.

It's an incredibly expensive phone, not a damn fidget toy.

I treat all my gadgets with kid gloves, this one even moreso.

Agreed but there should also be some level of durability

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch