Galaxy Fold woes..

alanjc

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
I'm sure there's bound to be the odd bad unit, especially on something with moving parts, but seeing how so many of these reviewers are tossing the device around, banging it shut constantly, and way harder than I would, and not really caring about it because it didn't cost them a penny and they probably have a few of them, I'm not surprised they're breaking.

I can't imagine anyone who's bought this with their own money treating them in this way.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there's bound to be the odd bad unit, especially on something with moving parts, but seeing how so many of these reviewers are tossing the device around, banging it shut constantly, and way harder than I would, and not really caring about it because it didn't cost them a penny and they probably have a few of them, I'm not surprised they're breaking.

I can't imagine anyone who's bought this with their own money treating them in this way.
I have not seen a single reviewer treat the Galaxy Fold badly, do you have any videos where they are truly abusing the devices?

Some reviewers have mentioned that the Fold seems to have a magnet which makes it shut harder, I believe MKBHD highlighted this to.

You make it seem as if the reviewers have been absolutely abusing the devices when from I have seen they are treating them like any device they get.

Xxtoxicskittlexx

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I have not seen a single reviewer treat the Galaxy Fold badly, do you have any videos where they are truly abusing the devices?

Some reviewers have mentioned that the Fold seems to have a magnet which makes it shut harder, I believe MKBHD highlighted this to.

You make it seem as if the reviewers have been absolutely abusing the devices when from I have seen they are treating them like any device they get.

I'll just say this. MKBHD is in the business of 'views'. He is known as a tech influencer and knows technology really well.

You mean to tell me that MKBHD didn't read Samsungs instructions? He basically just ripped it off to tweet it. Harnessing the power of 'views'. He did that because of the business he is in and also the fact that he had multiple folds lying around his studio.

Let's just all see what the official finding is.

And yes, the reviewers abused the fold. An average consumer would never put a plastic screen device face down on the table. No one ever would who spent $2000 of their hard earned money.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll just say this. MKBHD is in the business of 'views'. He is known as a tech influencer and knows technology really well.

You mean to tell me that MKBHD didn't read Samsungs instructions? He basically just ripped it off to tweet it. Harnessing the power of 'views'. He did that because of the business he is in and also the fact that he had multiple folds lying around his studio.

Let's just all see what the official finding is.

And yes, the reviewers abused the fold. An average consumer would never put a plastic screen device face down on the table. No one ever would who spent $2000 of their hard earned money.
Lol, not a single reviewer really abused the device, they used it like any other.

I have seen Vertu phones treated worse than anything these guys did on video.

But let's bring on the conspiracies they always pop up ove r things like this.

MKBHD made a stupid mistake by removing the plastic, and in actual fact 1 other did the same to, this is something Samsung needs to consider, because not every consumer will take note of that message due to excitement.

YES, people will abuse their $2000 phone when they get it , do you know why? Because LIFE happens, and in life you cannot baby a device that is with you almost 24/7.

This a great learning curve for Samsung.

By the way the other two, Dieter Bohn and Steve Kovach, their devices have screens that have simply failed, one due to a hinge malfunction and the other seems to be the display itself.

These things will happen, I just hope Samsung deals with this correctly. No need for conspiracies.

I thought I left conspiracies in the Apple Bendgate threads.

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that removing a piece of plastic can put the display at jeopardy. If it's that fragile I don't want any part of it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Okay then. Then the price should reflect that. Do you think the price reflects first-gen issues or if it had less issues (better build quality/engineering) it should cost even more?

There is no way the price should reflect that. Samsung would be crazy to make this first gen tech affordable for more people.

They set the price just right so that they can make and sell a controlled amount. Just enough to get feedback on what they need to fix next time out.

This phone is not for mass consumption yet, and now we see why.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I probably missed something in all the hysteria.

The screen is plastic thereby allowing the device to fold shut and is not made of glass.

Samsung clearly instructed users not to remove the plastic.

Users neglected to read or heed the manufacturer warning and therefore assume some responsibility for their actions.

Units received by bloggers were pre-production units?

Mass produced though limited production units are still bound to have defects at rate consistent with generation one tech?

Just asking...before we crucify Samsung with no skin in the game. I am not thrilled about the situation but let's get more facts and real world feedback from those who pre-ordered and have skin in the game.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

The screen is plastic thereby allowing the device to fold shut and is not made of glass.

Users neglected to read or heed the manufacturer warning and therefore assume some responsibility for their actions.

Mass produced though limited production units are still bound to have defects at rate consistent with generation one tech?

Just asking...before we crucify Samsung with no skin in the game. I am not thrilled about the situation but let's get more facts and real world feedback from those who pre-ordered and have skin in the game.

This is what I got:

4 review units have screen issues. 2 out of those 4 pulled the plastic covering the screen causing issues. The other 2 did not remove the plastic but are having screen issues.

Still brings a big question on durability. I take really good care of my devices but if I have to overly baby how I close the device or how I place it down or worry about dirt or lint getting underneath the plastic cover, the device is not for me or even a majority out there.

I would even go as far as to say it will take not one but multiple generations to get the tech to where it needs to be.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I have yet to see a reviewer read instructions before an unboxing. Regardless of removing the plastic or not and regardless of it being a pre-production unit it still appears too fragile.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I’m most concerned about the possibility of small particles getting under the screen. What if I’m using this at the beach? Is it really possible that something could get under the screen by fitting inside the open gap when folded open? Seems impossible that Samsung would allow that risk to exist without some mechanism to avoid it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I’m most concerned about the possibility of small particles getting under the screen. What if I’m using this at the beach? Is it really possible that something could get under the screen by fitting inside the open gap when folded open? Seems impossible that Samsung would allow that risk to exist without some mechanism to avoid it.

I hate to say this but I'm going to anyway. This is not the type of device I would bring to the beach. If a grain of sand gets folded between the two screens it will do damage.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I hate to say this but I'm going to anyway. This is not the type of device I would bring to the beach. If a grain of sand gets folded between the two screens it will do damage.

Well if that is actually true, it should not be made available for sale. I don’t consider taking a phone to the beach abuse. I didn’t say it was going to bury it in sand but it ought to be able to survive a breezy day at the beach. In any event, if you are right I probably will have no choice to cancel my preorder even though I was totally pumped for this device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well if that is actually true, it should not be made available for sale. I don’t consider taking a phone to the beach abuse. I didn’t say it was going to bury it in sand but it ought to be able to survive a breezy day at the beach. In any event, if you are right I probably will have no choice to cancel my preorder even though I was totally pumped for this device.

I just know that that my daughter has had issues with sand getting trapped inside a case on two different phones. One ended up with Pitt marks. The other scratched the glass back of the phone taking the case on and off. It will damage any phone under the right conditions. Not saying it will happen for sure, but if you aren't careful there is a good chance.

The link posted above my post by ilordvader is a good thing to watch

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Manufacturers went to sealed batteries, so now we have to baby them due to the absurd cost of replacing them.

Manufacturers switched to AMOLED screens, and now we have to baby them to avoid burn in.

Now we have to baby a foldable screen?

Here's a thought. How about manufacturers make a phone durable enough to hold up to the designed parameters without having to baby it?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Manufacturers went to sealed batteries, so now we have to baby them due to the absurd cost of replacing them.

Manufacturers switched to AMOLED screens, and now we have to baby them to avoid burn in.

Here's a thought. How about manufacturers make a phone durable enough to hold up to the designed parameters without having to baby it?

People want bling and conversation starters not durability. Of course if we wait long enough a removable battery may be a conversation starter in the future....or is that back to the Future?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Because that's not what people want. People want Premium tech.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky