Home screen won't lock in portrait mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Samsung J7 home screen suddenly rotates to landscape. I have portrait mode only toggle switch on. Why?? And how do I fix it?? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does it only rotate to landscape for certain apps? Some apps will force landscape because they don't work in portrait.

GFJen

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
I tried your suggestion and now my phone is stuck in "Downloading...Do not turn off target" I removed the battery and it didn't help. :'(

GFJen

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
So I pressed enough buttons in some mysterious order and got it to reboot, after getting the dead android guy. :confused: Now the home screen portrait mode is working!! Go figure. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried your suggestion and now my phone is stuck in "Downloading...Do not turn off target" I removed the battery and it didn't help. :'(

Glad it's working! This screen you got to is probably because you were pressing Power and Vol Down at the same time, instead of separately.

GFJen

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
Update: it did it again. It seems it's not the actual home screen landscape mode. It's rotating but is not realigning so half of the screen is black. It did this after I was in my camera app (standard original app) in landscape, took a pic, opened it in the camera app and deleted it. Closed the app and went back to the home screen. So maybe there's a glitch somewhere with the camera app and portrait mode settings??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go back into Safe Mode. If the problem goes away, I'd still suspect some app you installed as the culprit. You'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa