5.1.1 questions

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my 10.1 2014 currently on Kitkat to 5.1.1 but have a few concerns.

1) Did they remove Polaris Office and replace it with Handcom Office?

2) I believe they upgraded S Notes and Action memo... did they combine them into a single app? Can an Action memo be pinned to the desktop like on the Note 4?

3) Did they "colorize" the Notification panel (pulldown panel) to a green background and white lettering?

4) Did they add a "Mobile Data" toggle to the Notification panel?

5) Did they change the folder view to individual icons shown inside the folders (like it is on my Note 4 on Kitkat), rather than having to use that silly air view?

I did a lot of searching but there's not much/conflicting information on my particular tablet version SM-P607T. Thanks for any help!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully you find definite answers to these questions. I'm going to poke around and see what I find and post back if there's anything to share.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Much appreciated!

I'm hoping someone will give me feedback on things I've asked. Like I said, I did a lot of searching, but with various models and carriers, it's hard to tell who changed what and where. Plus, many images link to pages that are non-specific as to which tablet they're showing.

I have Hancom office on my Note 4, but I like Polaris better. That alone might keep me on Kitkat, but I also like it that LP might have changed the folder icons, so not sure what's more important to me at the moment.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
2016-04-23 04.27.51.jpg

Hi, some of your answers are above. Polaris is still part of the package. Snote and action memo save to same folder but are separate functions. Minimise pins it to the desktop. This is on the P605 running UK 5.1.1 rom. In south Africa Samsung does not deem us worthy of lp.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, some of your answers are above. Polaris is still part of the package. Snote and action memo save to same folder but are separate functions. Minimise pins it to the desktop. This is on the P605 running UK 5.1.1 rom. In south Africa Samsung does not deem us worthy of lp.

Thanks! Your photo answered 3 of the questions right off the bat! I can see the folder icons are within the folder. This is one thing I like about LP on this tablet. I'm also glad that Polaris is still present. I thought I saw images of Hancom office in the app drawer of a 10.1 2014, but what I may have seen is the viewer app they have. Looked like the same Hancom office icon... thus my confusion.

Regarding Action memo, when you say minimize, is it the same as being able to "pin" the action memo to the desktop? This isn't a screenshot of my Note 4 below, but you can see the action memo is "resident" on the desktop. It's just a shortcut of the real memo, but it stays resident until you delete it. Does 5.1.1 allow this?

View attachment 225406

Also, since your phone isn't on an "official" LP release, do you know if any of what I'm asking about has been "ported" in the rom you're using? I just want to make sure the things I'm asking about is "vanilla" to the official 5.1.1.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It's the official Samsung uk rom from SamMobile and yes the action note can be pinned to the homescreen.
Ok... I must have misunderstood about the rom. Thank you for being so helpful! I'm glad the action memo can be pinned!

I do have other issues with LP... mostly the "brightness" of all the screens with them being so white, vs how Kitkat's screens are two-toned with gray in the menus. I think I can live with the brightness on my tablet since I'm not in setting screens all that much but rather mostly in the apps. Now all I have to decide is whether to jump on 5.1.1 or not.

Thanks again!!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
5.0.1 was a disaster. Flashed back to 4.4.4. Since 5.1.1 came out never missed kitkat at all.
The must have done something different in the UK. All the US tablets, as far as I know, went from some version of Kitkat straight to 5.1.1... bypassing any 5.0 versions. I don't even think the US released any 5.0... I might be mistaken though.

In any case, if I can just get over all the white screens in LP, I may upgrade this Note 10.1. Again, thanks for your help... you've settled all my questions!

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I wholeheartedly recommend upgrading the tablet to 5.1.1. I've had it since it came out in November and it runs great. A bunch of annoying software bugs that were present in 4.4.2 and prior were fixed in 5.1.1, there are a bunch of useful new features, and the tablet feels fresh again. There are a few small features that were removed (Smart Scroll being one of them) but everything else you get is completely worth it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There are a few small features that were removed (Smart Scroll being one of them)
I don't use Smart scroll so this wouldn't bother me, but I've also heard they removed the ability to convert handwriting to text as outlined in THIS thread. Did 5.1.1 remove this feature? Doesn't make sense that they would, but it might be carrier dependent. Do you know of anything else that might have gotten removed?

I agree that for once it looks like this upgrade might be worth it! Having the Samsung browser update, plus the ad-blocking capability, S-Pen upgrade, and bug fixes are good things. My tablet is running KK 4.4.4 perfectly right now and it's just worrisome if I can't revert after the upgrade for some reason. For sure I won't attempt the upgrade until after my trip next month!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The must have done something different in the UK. All the US tablets, as far as I know, went from some version of Kitkat straight to 5.1.1... bypassing any 5.0 versions. I don't even think the US released any 5.0... I might be mistaken though.

In any case, if I can just get over all the white screens in LP, I may upgrade this Note 10.1. Again, thanks for your help... you've settled all my questions!

Pleasure!

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Smart scroll so this wouldn't bother me, but I've also heard they removed the ability to convert handwriting to text as outlined in THIS thread. Did 5.1.1 remove this feature? Doesn't make sense that they would, but it might be carrier dependent. Do you know of anything else that might have gotten removed?

I agree that for once it looks like this upgrade might be worth it! Having the Samsung browser update, plus the ad-blocking capability, S-Pen upgrade, and bug fixes are good things. My tablet is running KK 4.4.4 perfectly right now and it's just worrisome if I can't revert after the upgrade for some reason. For sure I won't attempt the upgrade until after my trip next month!

Writing can still be done provided Y on Use the Sammy keyboard This was done with S-pen.
Action notes can still be converted
2016-04-24 06.52.00.jpg
and the result
2016-04-24 06.52.21.jpg Never used this much as Afrikaans is not supported. Kept my notes as freehand.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Writing can still be done provided Y on Use the Sammy keyboard This was done with S-pen.
Action notes can still be converted and the result
Never used this much as Afrikaans is not supported. Kept my notes as freehand.
Thanks for confirming! Gotta wait till after my trip to decide on upgrading. At least I have the info I need now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38