Thinking of switching from New Ipad, need some help

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have an Ipad 3 and I'm so bored with it, I have to force myself to use it and try to have some fun with it. It's a good tablet don't get me wrong, but I hated apple before I got it, the only reason I did get it was because it was the highest rated tablet at the time. I hate the Restrictiveness of Apple and how hard it is to work with my phone and PC. Also, because with my last android phone, I noticed with Updates some things would get messed up. I use my Ipad to back up a lot of information, business cards, notes, etc. I also use it for games, but to be honest the games on my New Galaxy S3 blows away any I have on my Ipad. I like Draw Something a lot, so like the Pen on the Samsung G Note also.
So I'm having trouble deciding between the Asus Transformer Infinity and the Galaxy Note 10.1. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Note for a couple of reasons, I like the sound on it, the Pen, and after having my Samsung Phone, like the Samsung UI. Now the Infinity looks much better on the screen and the tablet itself. I know it has better screen, but to be honest, that doesn't matter as much to me. I couldn't see any pixelation on the Note screen at best buy.
Since I'm new to the Android Tablet experience (Not to Android), I do have a few questions.
1. Can I use or download Swype onto a Tablet?

2. Are there a lot of Apps for the Android Tablets or should I say, can you use a lot of the Phone Apps on a Tablet also? I would like to get some of the games I have on my phone on a Tablet if I get one.

3. Are there a limited supply of Accessories for the Samsung Tablet, like there are for the Galaxy S3? I just want a Back Cover and Maybe something for the front. I'm use to the smart cover on my Ipad and don't have a screen protector on it. Also any Bluetooth Keyboards to go with it or any that come with a case?

4. Does it have a Usb connection through the Wall charger, like the Ipad, so I can connect to PC?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You can put Swype on an Android tablet. It's kind of cumbersome in my opinion, especially on a 10.1" screen.

There aren't many tablet specific apps for Android, but "normal" apps scale well. It's not like on the iPad where if you have an iPhone only app it runs a mini version. So any app that runs on your S3 will run on an Android tablet.

There are a limited amount of accessories right now. That seems to be the normal pattern for new devices. Release the device, then accessories months later. Any bluetooth keyboard will work. I haven't seen a keyboard/case combo for the Note, but I haven't searched either.

It does have USB/Wall charger combo like Apple. Come on, it's Samsung. If Apple has it you know they do. :)

Take advantage of your return policy when you get the Note. If you don't like it, return. But...when you get the Note, put your iPad away. I have the new iPad as well, and I kept going back and forth. I finally let the iPad battery drain and put it away for a week. I charged it last night to use it and see if I missed it. While I did miss the display, that was about it. So you really need to step away from an iPad for a while to appreciate an excellent Android tablet like the Note.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The Note 10.1 was my very first tablet experience and I have been very pleased with it. I messed around with a few different ones, but the Note has been amazing for me.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
@NickA, I've pretty much been stepping away from my Ipad the last month since I got my Galaxy S3 phone. I think getting the phone made me realize, what I already knew after having the Ipad 3 for awhile, Android is much more fun for me and less restrictive. I can customize to my liking. My fears of things not working may be legitimate with Android OS, but bugs can get fixed. Apple's "Just Works" appealed to me at first, but the boring OS and some of the things you can't do, just aren't worth the "Just Works" moniker Apple gets.
Also, are you saying that pretty much any app I can download on my phone, should work on an Android Tablet? Just a little worried, because you say not that many Tablet Specific Apps.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
@NickA, I've pretty much been stepping away from my Ipad the last month since I got my Galaxy S3 phone. I think getting the phone made me realize, what I already knew after having the Ipad 3 for awhile, Android is much more fun for me and less restrictive. I can customize to my liking. My fears of things not working may be legitimate with Android OS, but bugs can get fixed. Apple's "Just Works" appealed to me at first, but the boring OS and some of the things you can't do, just aren't worth the "Just Works" moniker Apple gets.
Also, are you saying that pretty much any app I can download on my phone, should work on an Android Tablet? Just a little worried, because you say not that many Tablet Specific Apps.

When I say tablet specific, I mean apps optimized for tablets. Ones that take advantage of the extra screen real estate. Evernote is a good example. They updated it recently and it looks awesome. Or think of the GMail app on your S3, and take a look at how it looks on an Android tablet (or on your iPad). You get the folders/labels on the left, and content on the right.

But any app you get on your S3 will work on the Note. The both have Ice Cream Sandwich.

Reactions: Andy847

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
On the Mobile Tech Review website, there is a smackdown video comparing the Note 10.1 versus the new iPad. It will make you want to switch to the Note 10.1.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Andy, when I started trying to learn about the original Galaxy Note, I checked out some things before I got one just as you're doing. You can go to

As for accessories, as Nick A said, the accessories will come. I found this case that comes with accessories and I'll post here once it arrives and I find out whether it's worth it or not. Amazon.com: CrazyOnDigital Red Stand Leather Case with Charger and Screen Protector For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 N8013 Tablet (6-item): Computers & Accessories

You can go to Google Play and look for apps you're interested in. check for apps here: https://play.google.com/store

Some apps come in tablet and cell phone versions so you can be sure to get the best one for your device.

I dearly love both my Notes, I have the phone and the tablet. I love being able to truly multitask with the tablet. I've been planning a kitchen, and just last night I easily pulled images from web pages, pasted them onto a note and sent them to a supplier with questions about modifications. It was wonderful to be able to mark it with arrows, and measurements, etc. in just a few minutes with no expensive software necessary!

I love the choices android gives me. If a book isn't available for a kindle app, I go on and look for it elsewhere. On some apps, I've gone to the developers site for more information and download it from them directly. And I wouldn't give up my S pen for anything, not even TWO iPads! And if you get the Note, or any other android tablet, the users here are great at answering questions!

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering, before I sell my Ipad and it's accessories, Will the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard work with the Galaxy Note 10.1? I might save some money by keeping it if it does. Anyone tried this?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have an Ipad 3 and I'm so bored with it, I have to force myself to use it and try to have some fun with it. It's a good tablet don't get me wrong, but I hated apple before I got it, the only reason I did get it was because it was the highest rated tablet at the time. I hate the Restrictiveness of Apple and how hard it is to work with my phone and PC. Also, because with my last android phone, I noticed with Updates some things would get messed up. I use my Ipad to back up a lot of information, business cards, notes, etc. I also use it for games, but to be honest the games on my New Galaxy S3 blows away any I have on my Ipad. I like Draw Something a lot, so like the Pen on the Samsung G Note also.
So I'm having trouble deciding between the Asus Transformer Infinity and the Galaxy Note 10.1. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Note for a couple of reasons, I like the sound on it, the Pen, and after having my Samsung Phone, like the Samsung UI. Now the Infinity looks much better on the screen and the tablet itself. I know it has better screen, but to be honest, that doesn't matter as much to me. I couldn't see any pixelation on the Note screen at best buy.
Since I'm new to the Android Tablet experience (Not to Android), I do have a few questions.
1. Can I use or download Swype onto a Tablet?

2. Are there a lot of Apps for the Android Tablets or should I say, can you use a lot of the Phone Apps on a Tablet also? I would like to get some of the games I have on my phone on a Tablet if I get one.

3. Are there a limited supply of Accessories for the Samsung Tablet, like there are for the Galaxy S3? I just want a Back Cover and Maybe something for the front. I'm use to the smart cover on my Ipad and don't have a screen protector on it. Also any Bluetooth Keyboards to go with it or any that come with a case?

4. Does it have a Usb connection through the Wall charger, like the Ipad, so I can connect to PC?

1. I have SwiftKey 3 on my GS3 and SwiftKey 3 Tablet on my Note 10.1.

2. There are a great many apps that work on both my GS3 and my Note 10.1. There are exceptions as note above. Granted the number of apps in the Play Store are less that those for the iPad but there are enough that you won't miss the iPad.

3. 32 GB micro sdxc card, Samsung USB Adaptor, Samsung HDMI Adaptor. I also have a spare Samsung charger which has the 30 pin adaptor and the USD that attaches to the plug.

4. Yes. The Samsung USD adaptor can be used to attach memory sticks and gaming peripherals. The HDMI adaptor can be used to connect to HDTV which we use in hotel rooms on the road.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering, before I sell my Ipad and it's accessories, Will the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard work with the Galaxy Note 10.1? I might save some money by keeping it if it does. Anyone tried this?

Andy, I had a best buy salesman try to sell me an apple bluetooth keyboard for my note. I'd suggest you keep the keyboard and try it after you get a note or perhaps best buy would let you bring in your keyboard to try with their display model Note. I've been looking at a Motorola bluetooth keyboard that has a trackpad. I'm just not sure how much I would use it. Did you get a lot of use out of your keyboard? I'm afraid I'd just get tired of the extra weight and leave it at home anyway. The bluetooth keyboard for androids that I am considering is shown here:
Amazon.com: Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Trackpad - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
J Highnote, I do use the Keyboard when I'm entering in a lot of information, just can type quicker with the Apple BT keyboard than I can with the actual keyboard on the Ipad. I have an Arkon Stand I use for the Ipad when typing with the keyboard and will probably keep the stand for the Note when I get it.
I was looking at the Logitech BT keyboard for Android, not sure yet if I want to spend the money on another keyboard yet. The one you showed looks nice, I never even thought of the possibility of a trackpad on a keyboard, just use to touching the screen.lol. Thanks for showing me that though, it's not too expensive and it's something else to consider. Only problem I'm selling my Ipad with most of it's accessories to pay for the Note, so maybe I'll take your suggestion and see if I can bring the keyboard into best buy to see if it works like you said.
To be honest, with all the research I do on the forum here for my phone and now that I'm looking into the tablet, I really don't trust the salespeople at Best Buy. Some of them have told me stuff that I Know is Inaccurate, because I've read on the forum here and do my research. LOL. So I take what THEY say with a grain of salt. It's really sad lately how uninformed people are that work these jobs nowadays.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
J Highnote,.... To be honest, with all the research I do on the forum here for my phone and now that I'm looking into the tablet, I really don't trust the salespeople at Best Buy. Some of them have told me stuff that I Know is Inaccurate, because I've read on the forum here and do my research. LOL. So I take what THEY say with a grain of salt. It's really sad lately how uninformed people are that work these jobs nowadays.
Yes, I would take Best Buy sales people comment with some salt. One also handed me a zagg protector saying I needed it too, charged me for installing it and yikes, I couldn't wait to rip it off! I have another protector coming via mail this week, I'll let you know if it lives up to it's claim of being just like glass. Last night I decided to buy that keyboard I showed you. I was away from my desktop and really wanted to write a long email, I was sufficiently annoyed at having to go back to my desktop. I'll let you know how I make out with the keyboard too.