Thinking seriously about buying one. New to tabs

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was looking for some objective advice on buying one of these, I plan to use it for work (I am in the airforce and constantly taking notes on a steno pad and have a stack of them) and my photography on the side to showcase my work (And yes the entertainment value). I went into bestbuy origionally looking at the Galaxy tab 2 7.0 and 10.1 so I could see them up close and in person. I noticed the note (which I have been seeing blow up my TV every other commercial) and got the sales pitch from the best buy guy who didn't seem to really know his product. The price is more than I was origionally shooting for but in the long run noticed the specs are higher and does more than the Tabs. Figured I would come to my trusted AC community for some pros/cons and cool features. Theres only soo much the samsung website can tell you and I have a hard time trusting a companies website for reviews that are filtered for content. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Trailblazen

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Boy, I don't know about objective, you certainly came to the right place for a review by enthusiasts. The Note 10.1 is my first tablet and I bought it because I love my Galaxy Note phone and the tablet has even more features. Hopefully there will be someone who has used the Photoshop Touch who can tell you how it might help with your photography. I can certainly tell you how priceless the Spen apps are! You can handwrite with ease on the Snote. Samsung's terminology acts like you can write multiple notes and keep them in a folder. When you open a note, you can add as many pages as you like and they stay together. You can write one long extended steno pad worth, or break them up as you wish. you can delete one page or the whole stack. You can type, draw, handwrite, all on one page, and insert pictures and audio recordings. You can import pdf files and write on them too. You can print wirelessly with printshare. You can turn on and off the palm rejection, which means the note will only pick up the Spen or your finger whatever you prefer at the moment, which is really nice. They are easy to organize too. I created my own blanks to use as templates. I keep several Notes on my homescreen as shortcuts so they're easily accessible. I no longer have a purse full of sticky notes or scrap pieces of paper with important information that gets lost or thrown out. Did the Best Buy clerk show you how it can multi-task? Having the web on one side and note taking or emailing on the other half of the screen is awesome and that's an understatement! I can slide pieces of web pages to a note and then handwrite on it. At the same time, I can have video playing in a little box that I can move around as needed. While I haven't played with the phototouch, I use the Spen to annotate photos and I'm attaching one of those. It's really easy to do. For 'real work' there's Polaris Office, which is microsoft office suite compatible with various formats whether 97 to 2007. I dearly love the Note 10.1 and I'm admittedly NOT objective, lol. New cover.jpg

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The Note 10.1 is going to run circles around its tablet cousins as well as it rivals, the iPad 3 and the Asus T700, as long as you can get past the chassis material and the fact that the display is not full HD as well as lacking a 8 MP and full HD video cameras. The digitized screen and stylus are a great trade for less pixel density. The digitized stylus allows for more precise navigation and with the screen extreme screen sensitivity to capture pictures and notes with amazing clarity and accuracy. As far as the RFC and full HD video, who is going to lugging around their tablet for either feature and need that level of quality resolution? That's what I have my GS3 for.

While the Note 10.1 and it's rivals enjoy great speed and performance, the Note 10.1 does it more smoothly and efficiently. Multi-tasking will be its greatest advantage with split screen capabilities between a number of applications. You can switch the position of two different applications or change the ones that you want to look at. There is a tray of icons that will allow you to bring more capabilities even when in split screen mode. The Note 10.1 also has Smart Stay and Video PopOut like the GS3 and task manager which works great. These are things that it's rivals don't donas well nor can even do natively. It had Photoshop Touch with having to buy it to touch up pictures. The Peel app is awesome in operating your home entertainment system. You can also expand the storage capabilities. I have added a 32 GB micro sdxc Class 10 card to my 32 GB Note 10.1 Tablet. The Note 10.1 also comes with Polaris office to modify documents and can be used in split screen mode.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was new to tablets as well, but the Note 10.1 caught my eye back in April and i've been wanting it ever since. When mine finally arrived I was in awe. I had only ever used iPads (though not extensively) and I firmly believe this is a superior tablet for the needs that I have. I wont get into all the features cause i'm sure you are aware of them. But I will say that I absolutely love this thing. So far 3 people i've shown it to have bought it, or are going to buy it. It speaks for itself when you pick it up and start playing with it. 2 of those 3 people were planning to buy an iPad and they changed their minds. I didn't bag on the iPad one bit, they just saw the value of the Note.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I've owned several Android tablets, starting with a very nice Le Pan II. then an Acer A500, an orginal Asus Transformer, and a Asus Transformer TF300, before I started with Samsung devices. I still have my TF300, but now I have a Galaxy SIII for a phone and both the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the Note 10.1 (okay, now do you believe me when I say I'm a device junkie, not to mention, as you can well imagine, flat broke). I have come to really appreciate the stability of the Samsungs, along with the power of the specs - the speedy processors, the extra gigs of RAM. The Tab 2 7.0 is one terrific little budget tab. If you want something portable, it'll do ya. But, I believe the Note is something really spectacular. If you are looking for premium quality, in my opinion, this is it.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Cool. Looks pretty objective in here with most of you having multiple tablets LOL. I'm pretty much sold on it, just need to work with the wife a little so I can get her final blessing since its over our initial amount to budget for LOL.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've owned several Android tablets, starting with a very nice Le Pan II. then an Acer A500, an orginal Asus Transformer, and a Asus Transformer TF300, before I started with Samsung devices. I still have my TF300, but now I have a Galaxy SIII for a phone and both the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and the Note 10.1 (okay, now do you believe me when I say I'm a device junkie, not to mention, as you can well imagine, flat broke). I have come to really appreciate the stability of the Samsungs, along with the power of the specs - the speedy processors, the extra gigs of RAM. The Tab 2 7.0 is one terrific little budget tab. If you want something portable, it'll do ya. But, I believe the Note is something really spectacular. If you are looking for premium quality, in my opinion, this is it.

I feel like I know you!! :D
There's nothing but tablets around me and my latest purchase, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I'm about to exchange for the Note. I like the portability of the 7" when I'm slipping it in my pocket yet overall I like the screen real estate provided in the 10" form factor.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Looks pretty objective in here with most of you having multiple tablets LOL. I'm pretty much sold on it, just need to work with the wife a little so I can get her final blessing since its over our initial amount to budget for LOL.
It IS a hunk of money, I'll admit that. I'm getting ready to put a new kitchen in this winter and I kept resisting the purchase by telling myself how many cabinets that hunk of money could buy. HOWEVER, if you're willing to share it with your wife, I can help you tell her how functional it is for SO many things! Let me know what her hobbies and interests are and this gal will tell you how the NOTE will help HER. But you have to be willing to share it with her or my lips are sealed..... :-X

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I think we are pretty much going through with it LOL. She gets her Kindle Fire back and I threw a few more reasons in that would make it beneficial for me to have (Like studying for promotion on the go rofl, which I would do). I told her i would share it with her if she wanted but i think she will be just happy to have full use of her kindle again (love streaming Amazon Prime shows before bed).

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the last note in the state of Colorado best buys lol. Now in search of a case. They didn't have any decently priced that I like. Will hit up bestbuy.com or amazon.com when I get home.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just bought the last note in the state of Colorado best buys lol. Now in search of a case. They didn't have any decently priced that I like. Will hit up bestbuy.com or amazon.com when I get home.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Way to go, I'm glad everyone's happy. In case (no pun intended... yeah right) you missed it, find the thread where I showed off the red one I just got. CrazyOnDigital is the brand name. It was either the thread that said book cover or the one that had accessories in the header. I know we all have different priorities and taste in such things but I love how the stand can be in multiple slants, in portrait and landscape, yet it holds very securely. Plus, what a bonus when I want to have the charger in and I can rotate it upside down physically so the charger is at the top, or portrait and have it on the side. It's definitely worth consideration. Plus the same thread had links to other cases you might want to look at. Congratulations on your new purchase!

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
its amazing. I haven't even begun to stratch the surface on how to start utilizing this thing and I am already seeing its potential. Extremely happy with my purchase. Just need to get this thing cased and screen protected and I would feel a whole lot safer.