New to the Z Fold 3, few questions

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So I'm 2 days in and getting use to the Z Fold 3. At first my hands struggled but already adjusting, it's not the weight, because my S20 ultra with otterbox defender on it weighs about the same as a naked Z Fold 3 or more (311g) on my scale so that's no problem. Stretching my fingers around the opened phone in landscape mode has been my challenge but I'm getting there! So my questions.

1. Any issues with tempered glass screen protectors on the outer screen?

2. I havn't had insurance on any phone or tablet in years because I'm pretty good with taking care of my devices. I know the manufacturer warranty is 1yr against defects. Has anyone had situations that make it worth paying for the insurance which range between $12-25 a month and then having deductibles on top of that? A cracked inner screen is $460 If I were to crack it somehow in the next 2-3yrs, paying out of pocket is cheaper than paying any insurance within that same period, Idk if it's worth it or not.

3. I notice in landscape mode on the inner screen, I seem to have a hard time getting the screen to register my taps close to the top of the screen on the side where the volume and power buttons are. For example, chrome tabs, they barely will register when I tap them to close them out. I've tested different holding methods to assure my hand isnt touching any other part of the screen but it still has a hard time registering my taps at the edges. Has anyone else noticed the edges of the screen lacking sensitivity to touch?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the fold family. :)

1, My Fold 3 still has the factory fitted screen protector however I'd have no problem with replacing it with a Whitestone Dome if needed.

2, These phone's are expensive to replace or repair so personally I have mine covered in my Home Contents insurance. If I need to make a claim then I have to pay £100 excess and that's it.
My Home Contents Cover Policy covers me for loss of any valuables outside the Home as well as being burgled, so that's what my particular cover is designed for.
My Credit File / Credit Score isn't affected in anyway.

Have you considered Samsung Care+.

3, I've not experienced these issues on my Fold. Your Fold has a diagnostic tool in the Samsung Members app and another tool via launching the phone app and dialing *#0*# If the issue continues then a Samsung Service Centre can check out the phone.

Enjoy what the Fold brings as it's an awesome powerful device.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
1..I don't use screen protectors on my front screens, haven't for years with no issues as I'm careful with my phone as well.

2..I have the Samsung care+. I got a year free as a preorder bonus. I'll keep it on after the first year if I keep the phone and don't upgrade to the fold 4. Samsung care+ gives you a lot more then just the breakage warranty the first year anyway.. If the phone has manufacturer warranty issues you deal with assurion instead of Samsung. You avoid having to deal with Samsung customer service and there's no deductible if it's a manufacturer warranty issue. I used it on the S20 ultras for warranty and 10 minutes on the phone had a new phone coming, Samsung direct customer service that will be hours of headache.

This following statement is just for info, no need to debate as it's definitely individual opinion. I've had 2 insurance agents tell me the last thing you want to claim on your home insurance is a $1500 or less phone, even if you add the coverage. Making claims on homeowners policy is like dinging your credit so they suggested to use your homeowners insurance for the bigger things, what is intended for. Do you really want to raise your rates or get dropped for phone claims.

That's it, this thread doesn't need to go into homeowners insurance discussion, I just wanted to throw that out there, it's definitely opinion and could be discussed all day with no results, so no need for anyone to keep this part going, please people don't drag this part out.

As your third, I've had times I thought my inside screen wasn't responding, but think it's my imagination. Maybe not now, I'll keep better eye on it now.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
So I'm 2 days in and getting use to the Z Fold 3. At first my hands struggled but already adjusting, it's not the weight, because my S20 ultra with otterbox defender on it weighs about the same as a naked Z Fold 3 or more (311g) on my scale so that's no problem. Stretching my fingers around the opened phone in landscape mode has been my challenge but I'm getting there! So my questions.

1. Any issues with tempered glass screen protectors on the outer screen?

2. I havn't had insurance on any phone or tablet in years because I'm pretty good with taking care of my devices. I know the manufacturer warranty is 1yr against defects. Has anyone had situations that make it worth paying for the insurance which range between $12-25 a month and then having deductibles on top of that? A cracked inner screen is $460 If I were to crack it somehow in the next 2-3yrs, paying out of pocket is cheaper than paying any insurance within that same period, Idk if it's worth it or not.

3. I notice in landscape mode on the inner screen, I seem to have a hard time getting the screen to register my taps close to the top of the screen on the side where the volume and power buttons are. For example, chrome tabs, they barely will register when I tap them to close them out. I've tested different holding methods to assure my hand isnt touching any other part of the screen but it still has a hard time registering my taps at the edges. Has anyone else noticed the edges of the screen lacking sensitivity to touch?

I was set up with Asurion insurance for $15/mo through ATT when I got this phone. I have never bothered with insurance for any phone, but this one scares me. I'm realizing it's not as fragile as I once thought, but repairs can still be quite expensive and it definitely is not as durable as say my S20 Ultra.

As for the edges not being sensitive. Do you by chance have the gestures option on for the navigation bar? If so, there's a sensitivity setting to help avoid incidental touches from the edge. Just a thought. That or the touch sensitivity for the display isn't set to be sensitive enough to account for the factory installed screen protector.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-122800_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220213-122800_Settings.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 55

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I was set up with Asurion insurance for $15/mo through ATT when I got this phone. I have never bothered with insurance for any phone, but this one scares me. I'm realizing it's not as fragile as I once thought, but repairs can still be quite expensive and it definitely is not as durable as say my S20 Ultra.

As for the edges not being sensitive. Do you by chance have the gestures option on for the navigation bar? If so, there's a sensitivity setting to help avoid incidental touches from the edge. Just a thought. That or the touch sensitivity for the display isn't set to be sensitive enough to account for the factory installed screen protector.
Yes I do have the avoid accidental touches on, I haven't had any issues the last 2 days since getting a case! I think that was the issue!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
1..I don't use screen protectors on my front screens, haven't for years with no issues as I'm careful with my phone as well.

2..I have the Samsung care+. I got a year free as a preorder bonus. I'll keep it on after the first year if I keep the phone and don't upgrade to the fold 4. Samsung care+ gives you a lot more then just the breakage warranty the first year anyway.. If the phone has manufacturer warranty issues you deal with assurion instead of Samsung. You avoid having to deal with Samsung customer service and there's no deductible if it's a manufacturer warranty issue. I used it on the S20 ultras for warranty and 10 minutes on the phone had a new phone coming, Samsung direct customer service that will be hours of headache.

This following statement is just for info, no need to debate as it's definitely individual opinion. I've had 2 insurance agents tell me the last thing you want to claim on your home insurance is a $1500 or less phone, even if you add the coverage. Making claims on homeowners policy is like dinging your credit so they suggested to use your homeowners insurance for the bigger things, what is intended for. Do you really want to raise your rates or get dropped for phone claims.

That's it, this thread doesn't need to go into homeowners insurance discussion, I just wanted to throw that out there, it's definitely opinion and could be discussed all day with no results, so no need for anyone to keep this part going, please people don't drag this part out.

As your third, I've had times I thought my inside screen wasn't responding, but think it's my imagination. Maybe not now, I'll keep better eye on it now.
Hey trucks, I remember you from the note 7,8, 9, forums I believe I Usually don't get insurance but I went on ahead and pulled the trigger on Akko insurance, it's pretty nifty $15 a month and it covers your phone with a $99 deductible as well as 25 other household items of your choosing as long as you have a receipt and can take pictures of item.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the fold family. :)

1, My Fold 3 still has the factory fitted screen protector however I'd have no problem with replacing it with a Whitestone Dome if needed.

2, These phone's are expensive to replace or repair so personally I have mine covered in my Home Contents insurance. If I need to make a claim then I have to pay £100 excess and that's it.
My Home Contents Cover Policy covers me for loss of any valuables outside the Home as well as being burgled, so that's what my particular cover is designed for.
My Credit File / Credit Score isn't affected in anyway.

Have you considered Samsung Care+.

3, I've not experienced these issues on my Fold. Your Fold has a diagnostic tool in the Samsung Members app and another tool via launching the phone app and dialing *#0*# If the issue continues then a Samsung Service Centre can check out the phone.

Enjoy what the Fold brings as it's an awesome powerful device.
Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret