Formatting ext sd card for the SG Note 10.1 - help!

Gilda Gomez

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, newbie here totally frustrated to find I can't move my apps and files to the external sd card. Yes, I have seen numerous posts here and elsewhere regarding this issue but no easy answer or steps. Is there a simple pc formatting program I can use to partition the card? To format the card?

Yes, I have tons of crap on my tablet and need to shift stuff over to the sd card. Loads of music and photos plus a handful of books, pdf files, games, etc. What a pain! Is this a problem with Jelly Bean? I did not encounter this problem with my Samsung Galaxy 7plus; sold that baby to get my Note.

My tablet is not rooted and I would prefer to keep it that way. Any guidance or link to a good set of steps would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance! :'(

DenverCZBob

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just start up the app "My Files". The left side of the screen should show you "Storage" and under that, "sdcard0" which is the internal storage, and also "extSdCard" which is of course your external sd card. Open sdcard0, select the files you want to move. Click on cut (scissors icon), then on the left side of the screen, navigate to extSdCard, select the folder you want the files to go to, click on paste (looks like a clipboard). There you go.

-bob

Gilda Gomez

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Just start up the app "My Files". The left side of the screen should show you "Storage" and under that, "sdcard0" which is the internal storage, and also "extSdCard" which is of course your external sd card. Open sdcard0, select the files you want to move. Click on cut (scissors icon), then on the left side of the screen, navigate to extSdCard, select the folder you want the files to go to, click on paste (looks like a clipboard). There you go.

-bob

Bob, thanks for responding! I will try it later today and if successful, will report back and spread the news. My question is a frequently asked one on numerous forums I discovered while researching this. No solution yet so let's try your instructions.

Note, I hope that future OS development this problem is addressed and a fix added. Very frustrating to find you paid extra for a tablet because it has an external SD card slot only to find you can't use it to free up space on your tablet. Sucks. :'(

DenverCZBob

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If it helps, glad I could assist.
This is of course for moving photos, videos. Not for moving apps.
I think you gotta root in order to actually move the apps.

-bob

giffer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

-bob

Thanks Bob!

I was able to quickly move about 15 Gb of music, movies and picts to my SD card without any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non