Note 10 vs Asus Rog Phone 2

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The Asus Rog Phone 2 is a very cool gaming phone!!

Would you consider the Rog phone 2 over the Note 10?
Looks like the Mate 30 Pro will be a pretty serious phone as well.
At the very least These phones will keep Samsung competitive to offer more in the future.

Watch "Asus ROG Phone 2 UNBOXING - World's FASTEST Smartphone." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/E3IcOO-9pZE

Last edited:

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm not really interested in a gaming phone but the spec sheet looks good, also the Mate 30 Pro's camera looks awesome, it's a shame that Samsung didn't up their game on the sensor for the Note 10 series but it is what it is I suppose and the rest of the Note makes up for it.
Interestingly I saw a video today saying the Note 10+ has a 5x optical zoom but can't see this anywhere else so I'll put this down to another youtuber trying to get hits before a new phone launch event!

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The SPen keeps me with the Note line. I've grown dependent on it's extra functionality, so I'm married to it. What other device has air command an the slew of nuggets that come with it? Glance, the magnifier, translate, the dictionary, control Power Point, snap pics...not to mention SNotes, write on PDF. This morning, I read an article on the P30 Pro that had my stomach sinking a little. An IG post by leak from Ice Universe shamed the N10's camera so bad I needed a drink of water to reconsider the purchase. None of those others have an SPen though. That little air command wheel just has so much functionality. Then there's the edge functionality as well. I've bought every note since the N3, and I actually USE the SPen as intended.

So, with all that being said...worst case scenario, I'd skip the 10 and wait on the 11. The N9 isn't at the bottom of the food chain just yet. The Rog and P30 are seriously specced out devices, but they don't have the SPen. Issa no for me. ;)

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
i hav a friend that has the ROG Phone 1, its not bad, and i've seen the specs on ROG Phone 2, i like the higher refresh rate of the screen. but not sure if i will ever switch from Samsung tho

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The SPen keeps me with the Note line. I've grown dependent on it's extra functionality, so I'm married to it. What other device has air command an the slew of nuggets that come with it? Glance, the magnifier, translate, the dictionary, control Power Point, snap pics...not to mention SNotes, write on PDF. This morning, I read an article on the P30 Pro that had my stomach sinking a little. An IG post by leak from Ice Universe shamed the N10's camera so bad I needed a drink of water to reconsider the purchase. None of those others have an SPen though. That little air command wheel just has so much functionality. Then there's the edge functionality as well. I've bought every note since the N3, and I actually USE the SPen as intended.

So, with all that being said...worst case scenario, I'd skip the 10 and wait on the 11. The N9 isn't at the bottom of the food chain just yet. The Rog and P30 are seriously specced out devices, but they don't have the SPen. Issa no for me. ;)

I agree, Not only does the S-Pen keep me, Samsung Pay is used daily and makes the wallet obsolete. Because of Samsung Pay tech, it can be used with old swipe terminals but non Samsung phones can't. And the Note 10+ display.....mmmm.

The specs on the Rog 2 are nice plus a massive battery and adjustable CPU.
I like the rear fingerprint reader on the Mate 30 Pro too!

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

It will be a very long time before the Note 9 is at "the bottom of the food chain"😀(which is getting shorter and shorter yearly due to the midrange phones improving so much). I totally agree with you about the S Pen. It's the reason I always want a Galaxy Note phone. Swyped from my Note 9 using the S Pen

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not really interested in a gaming phone but the spec sheet looks good, also the Mate 30 Pro's camera looks awesome, it's a shame that Samsung didn't up their game on the sensor for the Note 10 series but it is what it is I suppose and the rest of the Note makes up for it.
Interestingly I saw a video today saying the Note 10+ has a 5x optical zoom but can't see this anywhere else so I'll put this down to another youtuber trying to get hits before a new phone launch event!
I heard about the 5x zoom also cant rember where.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't like Samsung, so the Note 10 doesn't even enter my consideration. I have looked at the ROG II and it's at the top of my list if I finally decide to move from my LG V20. It has a lot of things I don't like, but it's the least bad phone out right now for me. The biggest questions for me are Verizon compatibility and price.

I'm very interested in the camera, but the aperture is a little wider than I'd want. I'm not big on portrait looks and heavy bokeh, and the wide aperture on the ROG II is more noticeable than I'd like in some of the sample photos.

For example, this is the Zenfone 6, which uses the same hardware as the ROG II camera.
https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/...usZF6_DxOMark_Selfie_05-00-e1558686534125.jpg

This is from the Pixel 3.
https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/...ixel3_DxOMark_Selfie_05-00-e1558686610936.jpg

I much prefer the rounded building in the back being in focus in the Pixel 3, as it looks to also be one of the subjects of the photo.

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
I don't like Samsung, so the Note 10 doesn't even enter my consideration. I have looked at the ROG II and it's at the top of my list if I finally decide to move from my LG V20. It has a lot of things I don't like, but it's the least bad phone out right now for me. The biggest questions for me are Verizon compatibility and price.

I'm very interested in the camera, but the aperture is a little wider than I'd want. I'm not big on portrait looks and heavy bokeh, and the wide aperture on the ROG II is more noticeable than I'd like in some of the sample photos.

For example, this is the Zenfone 6, which uses the same hardware as the ROG II camera.
https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/...usZF6_DxOMark_Selfie_05-00-e1558686534125.jpg

This is from the Pixel 3.
https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/...ixel3_DxOMark_Selfie_05-00-e1558686610936.jpg

I much prefer the rounded building in the back being in focus in the Pixel 3, as it looks to also be one of the subjects of the photo.

WoW never before did i see pics from a Pixel, i mus say, comparing the 2 you posted, i see why everyone likes how good the Pixel phones take out pictures, their software is really good.

makes me wonder, if google can get such good quality based on software, not hardware, why cant other phone companies do it as well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
WoW never before did i see pics from a Pixel, i mus say, comparing the 2 you posted, i see why everyone likes how good the Pixel phones take out pictures, their software is really good.

makes me wonder, if google can get such good quality based on software, not hardware, why cant other phone companies do it as well.

I prefer to shoot in manual mode, so software abilities don't come in to play much for me. I know what I want out of a photo, but some random programmer that's never met me doesn't. The relatively shallow depth of field is the only thing I'm not wild about so far with the camera. What is awesome is that it's a relatively large sensor with large pixels. That means better low light performance and lower noise. Because I do a lot of night shots and long term exposures (which really bring out any noise related artifacts), that's a major selling point for me.

Here's the review I linked those example photos from. The Zenfone 6 did exceptionally well, earning the top overall score for phones. It bested the Pixel 3 (and others) in several other comparisons, even putting it to shame in the backlit photo comparison.

https://www.dxomark.com/asus-zenfone-6-front-camera-review/

I see no reason for the ROG II to be any different.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I prefer to shoot in manual mode, so software abilities don't come in to play much for me. I know what I want out of a photo, but some random programmer that's never met me doesn't. The relatively shallow depth of field is the only thing I'm not wild about so far with the camera. What is awesome is that it's a relatively large sensor with large pixels. That means better low light performance and lower noise. Because I do a lot of night shots and long term exposures (which really bring out any noise related artifacts), that's a major selling point for me.

Here's the review I linked those example photos from. The Zenfone 6 did exceptionally well, earning the top overall score for phones. It bested the Pixel 3 (and others) in several other comparisons, even putting it to shame in the backlit photo comparison.

https://www.dxomark.com/asus-zenfone-6-front-camera-review/

I see no reason for the ROG II to be any different.
It's important to note that they are comparing selfie cams. Of course the Zenfone should win since it uses one camera for both front and rear. How does it stack up in a rear to rear comparison?

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
The Asus Rog Phone 2 is a very cool gaming phone!!

Would you consider the Rog phone 2 over the Note 10?
Looks like the Mate 30 Pro will be a pretty serious phone as well.
At the very least These phones will keep Samsung competitive to offer more in the future.

Watch "Asus ROG Phone 2 UNBOXING - World's FASTEST Smartphone." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/E3IcOO-9pZE

Note9 owner here, seriously considering the ROG Phone 2. I thought i would use the S-pen more than I do. I can count on one hand how many times I actually took it out to do something, didn't count the times I took it out just to take it out. I use the S-pen alot more on my Tab S4 than I ever have on my Note9. I don't like the hole punch display, and I like having a headphone jack available. And I love front firing speakers, still miss my HTC One M8. The big battery has me on the hook as well. I do play quite a few games, but not too serious. It's gonna come down to pricing on the ROG Phone 2 as to whether I pull the trigger or not.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's important to note that they are comparing selfie cams. Of course the Zenfone should win since it uses one camera for both front and rear. How does it stack up in a rear to rear comparison?
I couldn't find any written articles comparing the ZF6 to the main cameras of other phones (those are usually more in depth than video reviews), because everyone is talking about its use as a selfie camera. I did find this video that compares it to the S10 main and selfie cameras, with similar results in favor of the ZF6.

https://youtu.be/Pyrx7QatY2c
Part 2, night use. https://youtu.be/fVnNSEuACz8

One thing I did notice is he mentions the ZF6 and 1+7 Pro use the same sensor and noted that he's seen better from the 1+7 Pro in one of the night shots. So even when the ZF6 isn't as good as the S10, it seems it's mostly a software issue. That may matter to the masses, but not much to me. He then noted a much better shot in the ZF6's manual mode.

Any idea on a release date in the U.S? I'm curious to see what the LG V60 can do, but they seem to have become a cookie cutter one trick pony in that line, which is why anything past the V20 hasn't caught my attention.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
out of curiosity, which games need a gaming phone?

Only a very specific minority of games need a gaming phone. However, a larger amount of games benefit from gaming phones’ higher display refresh rates, software smarts, stereo speakers, features like cooling pads and air triggers as well as add-on modules.

Current/recent mid-range and flagship phones are perfectly capable of being used to play intensive games like PUBG, but few of them have every feature that would significantly enhance games like gaming phones. Only a small percentage of consumers buy or are in the target market for gaming phones, but that amount is sufficiently large enough for gaming phones to be considered profitable (e.g Xiaomi Black Shark, ASUS ROG, Razer)